webuser_563755716

Would you recommend several skylights in new build mountain cabin?

HU-563755716
4 years ago

We're in the design phase of our 1500 sqft get away cabin, single level 2bd/2ba, in the mountains at about 5500 elevation, so there's moderate snowfall and rain. We are designing to be in a cleared area amongst the pine trees, so some trees are within a 4 foot radius from eventual footings. Goal is to create a very rustic, warm, cozy and woodsy interior with lots of wood and earthy charming character. Would skylights in kitchen, eating area, great room and master bedroom be a good idea ambience wise? Too many? How big? What kind? Good climate for skylights? Cabin will face N, great room faces S, kitchen E, master bedroom/bath on W side. Thank you in advance!

Comments (22)

• millworkman
    4 years ago

Skylight in a cabin in the woods would more than liely be a no for me. Especially site unseen. If a branch falls from a tree the roof should stop it, glass skylight not so much.

HU-563755716 thanked millworkman
  • queenvictorian
    4 years ago

When I think of a cozy, rustic, woodsy cabin interior, skylights do not come to mind. At all.

Furthermore, it's a getaway cabin in snow country - a bunch of skylights are just going to add a ton more flashing that can fail after being snowed on and iced up. And since you're not there all the time, you're not always going to catch roof/skylight problems in a timely manner.

If it were my cabin, I would not install skylights.

HU-563755716 thanked queenvictorian
  • just_janni
    4 years ago

No - you are not going to be there enough to mitigate any damage that could occur from any of these instances discussed above.

You want your getaway cabin as worry free as possible.

No skylights.

I am not even sure how that works with the aesthetic you are describing. Windows for the view. Manage light at the human level - not the roof level.

HU-563755716 thanked just_janni
  • My House
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Why disrupt the integrity of a roof? No skylights I had the in a 1980s condo- too much hot air and made the upper level unbearable in the summer heat

HU-563755716 thanked My House
  • J Williams
    4 years ago

You could always do a clerestory window, I think that would be Ok with snow, you’ve got be careful about the roof pitch as well to make sure it’s shedding snow.

HU-563755716 thanked J Williams
  • PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    4 years ago

I've used skylights at elevations up to 10,000 feet at Keystone, Copper Mountain and Breckenridge. Keep them away from valleys and ridges and never install one where humidity is an issue to avoid condensation. At high elevations a strategically placed operable skylight can cool a house quickly after the sun sets. Just open a low window and the skylight... instant air conditioning.

HU-563755716 thanked Summit Studio Architects
  • PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    4 years ago

+1.

They work fine if they are kept away from trouble areas as Summit Studio Architects.

HU-563755716 thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • K Laurence
    4 years ago

Yes to skylights, I have 5 of them. My best friend had them installed in her new build home mountain home (8,000 ft ). They’re wonderful. The added light will only enhance the beautiful woods & stone ( if any ), it certainly does in her beautiful home.

I want all the natural light I can get so my opinion skewed some.

HU-563755716 thanked K Laurence
  • PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    4 years ago

I forgot to mention future solar.

HU-563755716 thanked Summit Studio Architects
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Every penitration in a roof is a potential leak.

HU-563755716 thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

How long does it take to get from your house to the cabin?

HU-563755716 thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO snow load should be the deciding factor and honestly unless you are there all the time good lighting is going to be a much better consideration.

HU-563755716 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • bpath
    4 years ago

You might consider a solatube. We never had any issues with ours. Better, maybe, for the entry or kitchen.

HU-563755716 thanked bpath
  • David Cary
    4 years ago

Perhaps clarity is important. Mountains in NC reach 5500 ft and snow load is a relatively minor issue. So perhaps location and what you consider moderate snowfall would be helpful.

Skylights lack control - or control is expensive.

I have less than fond memories of a mountain cabin in July with no a/c. Those skylights heated up the place too much and we couldn't get the heat out. The house would have been fine without skylights (temperature wise).

Skylights are also huge holes for heat loss. Typical modern construction in a cold area is going to have R-49 insulation or so. A skylight is probably R-4 at best - and that is before the seals fail. And then there is the radiation losses (which I can't say that I completely understand).

You have a great room than faces south. You can get all the sun you want from that.

HU-563755716 thanked David Cary
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Ten foot ceilings and seven foot tall windows and no worry about views or light.I detest skylights, always have, and always will.

HU-563755716 thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    4 years ago

Like anything in design it matters how you use them. I recommend to my mountain clients that we place one strategically located operable skylight (stairwells work great) for temperature control. Summer daytime temperatures can get into the 80's but it cools off quickly after the sun sets, often dropping into the 40s. One skylight and an open window can cool a house in less than 30 minutes.

• HU-563755716
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So many great points of view from all of you! Thank you. I currently have a 10" Solatube in my Phoenix kitchen and I LOVE it, so that might be the compromise version that we'll end up with for natural light. It's been installed with no problems for 24 years. I reached out to the mountain community via nextdoor.com about their skylight experiences and so far, the responses have all been favorable and encouraging even with snowy seasons. We are considering using a high efficiency evaporative cooler due to low humidity during the summer and/or a whole house fan system. All your comments are so appreciated!

• PRO
    Scott Haig, CKD
    4 years ago

There is undoubtedly a transforming presence in a room installed with a skylight. If the installation is properly considered, balanced (perhaps not every room), and professionally executed, well...for goodness' sake...why the heck not? Who doesn't like seeing the sky from indoors, or natural light transforming an entire space each season? (Get-away-cabin, I sound like I'm in love...) So anyway, I'd do it in a minute, is what I'm saying.

HU-563755716 thanked Scott Haig, CKD
  • HU-563755716
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Love your response! I feel the same way, but others keep mentioning hazardous snow loads, failing flashings, inevitable leakage, excessive heat, breakage from falling branches, not living there full time to know about damages, etc. I still can't help thinking that with today's technology and proper installation, skylights should be a natural addition to include, especially in such a scenic forest setting. That's why I thought I'd have to compromise by just installing a few Solatubes like the one I've had in my primary residence for 24 years...such a frustrating choice. Do you have any opinions about a high efficiency evaporative cooler and/or whole house fan system by any chance? Thank you!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    4 years ago

The newer systems are so good with the flashing kits that you really have to screw one up to get it to leak in a normal application.

HU-563755716 thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • PRO
    Scott Haig, CKD
    4 years ago

hi HU-56...you might be better served in consulting a local pro in your area for answers to these questions. Solatubes are wonderful...but I'm a fan of a skylight, if you hadn't guessed...!

HU-563755716 thanked Scott Haig, CKD
Sponsored