nicemare

Subway tile to ceiling?

nicemare
4 years ago

Tile to ceiling or is it personal preference?

I posted about the ugly tile job around the window and we are having it fixed. Advice and pictures would be great

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Barnes Custom Builders
    4 years ago

I think it's personal preference, but generally we tile to the ceiling.

nicemare thanked Barnes Custom Builders
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

I was going to do my master shower like you have yours. Then I could not decide how high to go, so I decided to go to the ceiling. Then the tile guy talked me into tiling the ceiling. Funny how these construction projects grow.

I like the way yours looks. Since the window is not sized in increments of the tile size, it may look funky any other way. Keep it, you're not going to get any cleaner the other way.

Not professional photography.

nicemare thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Related Discussions

Build Depot Subway Carerra Marble decision

Q

Comments (1)
    Not familiar with these products BUT I would recommend no accent colours--keep it pure and simple. Polished if you don't mind the odd water splash mark but honed is more forgiving... Why not get some samples and debate the decision while holding them in your hands and comparing them. Good luck!
    ...See More

Suggestions needed for bathroom tile scheme

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi All, We are updating our bathrooms and I need to choose the color of the tiles around the vanity, shower and bath (including wall and bath boxing). One of the bathrooms has dark brown ceramic tiles, timber ceiling and brown timber wainscoting. The other two bathrooms have brown timber floors and neutral colored walls/ceiling. The light in all bathrooms is low to medium. I have chosen white vanity tops, with white basins and chrome taps. Do you think it would be too much white if all the tiles were white? Is there such a thing as too much white? Also what type of tiles are the easiest to install? Thanks
    ...See More

Ceiling tiles - asbestos

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi there! I'm an Asbestos Assessor by trade and come across these a lot. In the UK these would be highly friable asbestos insulating boards, but here in NZ it's always pinex. No asbestos in these ceiling tiles :-)
    ...See More

Beveled subway tile internal corners

Q

Comments (0)
    Used beveled subway tiles for whole bathroom without thinking about internal corners so the corner looked terrible then the silicon went on and it still looks terrible I guess apart from an aluminium strip or a marker to go across the silicon there aren’t many options
    ...See More
  • AJCN
    4 years ago

I prefer going to the ceiling, but it's not necessary and totally a personal choice. We re-did 4 bathrooms and went to ceiling on all of them. Do make sure though that your tile setter is meticulous enough to plan it out so that you don't get tiny cuts, at the top. Also, if your ceilings are not flat, you will need to fix that first or it will be obvious. We had to fix one of our ceilings. The tile pro was doing his math and layout planning, and said we should fix it to be flat, or not go to ceiling at all, so we had the painters come and "float" (I think that's the word) the ceiling. It's flat now and last row of tile goes straight across the top.

nicemare thanked AJCN
  • Lori Wagerman_Walker
    4 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect we did the same in our master shower. and had to do it ourselves.

Our tile guy looked at us like we were crazy (which may still be true but I digress...).

He told us he's not done that. Nobody does that??!! So my DH & our hired hand put it up. (Mechanics, not tilers! lol) Neither one had ever tiled before. They did a great job & we love it.

What I don't understand is, everything else in the shower was tile. Why would I NOT want it on the ceiling? It's so weird to me!

OP definitely go to the ceiling! :)

nicemare thanked Lori Wagerman_Walker
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago

It‘s a nice upgrade.

nicemare thanked User
  • everdebz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I wouldn't if nearby heights aren't to the ceiling, just m.o. Tub seems low, and storage door has about same height.... so what's that element of tile height for?... would it show above a shower curtain, then no.

nicemare thanked everdebz
  • Melissa Vernon
    4 years ago

A friend’s recently finished beach house. She has some to the ceiling and some not, not sure why, possibly depends on the door style?

nicemare thanked Melissa Vernon
  • DLM2000-GW
    4 years ago

I prefer walls tiled to the ceiling and if ceiling height its 8', tile the ceiling too. Above 8' it's not as critical to include the ceiling. But in your case, the decision to continue up the wall depends on how it's going to lay out.

nicemare thanked DLM2000-GW
  • PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    4 years ago

We always tile the ceiling (or at least 95% of the time). It's definitely a higher end look.

nicemare thanked Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
  • cd7733
    4 years ago

nicemare thanked cd7733
  • AJCN
    4 years ago

The picture cd7733 posted would probably sway me to take the tile to the ceiling. Just make sure ceiling is flat.

nicemare thanked AJCN
  • Greg Davis
    4 years ago

I say take it all the way up!

nicemare thanked Greg Davis
  • User
    4 years ago

Better take a level and tape measure to everything first. Or you may end up with more issues just like your window issue. There’s nothing worse that tile to the ceiling that shows that ceiling is 1” shorter on one side than the other.

nicemare thanked User
  • AJCN
    4 years ago

live wire,

But that's why we pay the pros to measure, do the math, and give advice. Homeowner just has to tell tile pro what they want, and listen to pro's advice. I'm not getting up on a ladder, with a 4' level, and measuring tape! The tile pro I hired to remodel 4 bathrooms, said "good to go" on 3 bathrooms to take tile to ceiling; and then he said "no-go" on the 4th one. He told us what the options were and his recommendation and we proceeded from there.

nicemare thanked AJCN
  • pofin
    4 years ago

My shower HAD tile on the ceiling, it was a bear to clean. On my tips toes to reach up there with toothbrush and Comet in hand, safety glasses on... We gutted that bathroom, no more tile on the shower ceiling. We tiled up to the ceiling. Very happy with that decision and sooo much easier to clean. Just to add, the shower was white subway tile, which I was tired of. Choose this nice earth toned tile called Montana Gold. Love, love it! Note where I put the soap dish, much more convenient being higher when showering.

nicemare thanked pofin
  • chispa
    4 years ago

I always tile up to the ceiling and the shower ceiling too. No issues with cleaning tile on the ceiling if you have good ventilation and use it.

nicemare thanked chispa
  • PRO
    Brass Bone Studio
    4 years ago

I would definitely continue the tile to the ceiling, just make sure you make the calculations so you don't end up with small cuts at the top and of course, make sure the ceiling is straight.

Personally, I like to tile up to the ceiling on almost all projects I take on as it gives a more high end feel and makes the walls feel higher and more 'open'.

nicemare thanked Brass Bone Studio
  • cat_mom
    4 years ago

We had the ceilings tiled over both tubs and the shower stall in our three bathrooms. Painted ceilings over shower areas might or might not have issues (mold, mildew) at some point, but a tiled ceiling, much less likely.

nicemare thanked cat_mom
  • User
    4 years ago

This is another “design detail” that cannot “just” happen. When the homeowner is acting as the designer, they must participate in that process of discussing the change WITH the installer. The designer is the one who works with the trades to see if their ideas physically work. They dont stand back, command, “make it so” and ASSUME it to look like they THINK it will look.

The lack of design documentation, and no meeting of the minds has already struck once on this job. It can strike yet again if things aren’t drawn out, confirmed to be possible within the constraints of the window location, ceiling flatness, and other job site issues.

The designer of the job must participate in all of that verification and documentation. The designer is the homeowner here. So if they need to hold that ladder or read that tape measure, to get this to look good and move forward, that participation has to happen. Any other designer on a job would do exactly that. Or a heck of a lot more, actually!

They’d also draw it out, so they could verify it will work the way they think it will, and have everyone sign off on it. Then a copy goes in a sheet protector, and gets posted right there in the bathroom for all to see. That’s what was missing the first time. And the lesson should have been learned to make sure that it happens the second time. All jobs have that documentation blue taped to the walls right there in the work space.

That’s why I’m on the job site before the tiler, or the cabinet guy, or the electrician ever show up. Then we have a conversation before they start. There are no “misunderstandings” or assumptions. The job turns out as designed, because someone ensures that it turns out as designed. When a homeowner is acting as designer, they have to do ALL of that themselves. And the first thing that needs to happen is the elimination of assumptions. Verify that the site conditions and measurements allows tile to the ceiling without small slivers around the window or ceiling as the result. Telling a tiler to do that, and having slivers or gaps as a result of that instruction, is on the designer for not verifying that it can be done and look good. It’s not on the tiler.

nicemare thanked User
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Take it to the ceiling. It's a much more custom feel.

nicemare thanked User
  • BT
    4 years ago

+1 Take tile to the ceiling, but not on the ceiling IMHO. I would sloped the ceiling slightly if I want to tile them. Just one shim makes a difference, between water dripping on your head or down the wall, tiny tiny slope.

+1 live_wire_oak Write your own contract, attach the docs, tape it to the wall. Must be present at the start and the finish. Most screwups happen at the end of the day when workers are tired and want to finish as fast as possible and go home. The defects needs to be addressed immediately not wait until it was dried up and grouted.

nicemare thanked BT
  • worthy
    4 years ago

Save the money! Forget the ceiling.

What could go wrong?

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

Are you going to have a shower curtain either over glass doors or instead of glass doors?

There is really no reason to tile above the shower spray. You need to protect the walls from direct water spray.

IMO If you have a shower curtain it is a nicer look to have the wall color continue throughout the visible space.

• Daisy S
    4 years ago

I think it looked much better before it was extended to the ceiling ...that uneven row of tiles at the ceiling would drive me nuts...hope it works for you.

• Donald
    4 years ago

I’ve been seriously house hunting for a while now and when I see a tiled shower like that, stopping short of the ceiling, I always think, I wonder what else they skimped on. Even it’s a perfectly lovely tile job and bathroom, that thought pops into my head.

Sponsored