darcie_moore

Which direction lay vinyl plank?

Darcie Moore
4 years ago

Hello, I’m ready to lay vinyl plank (floating) — the product is Karndean Korlok.

We will be installing on concrete slab (above grade). Windows in unit face west (in the event that is a consideration.

Since we are DIYing it and have limited experience (one helper has installed a click lock laminate throughout his second floor). Any advice on what direction to run the planks?

From watching videos it seems we should do the math and rip down our first row so that the thinner row will be against the far wall so that the run hits the hallway at full plank width?

Appreciate advice and feedback!

Comments (10)

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

I agree the second is the way to run it. If not on a cement slab you would want it run opposite the floor joists for stability. Even without floor joists it looks best to run it the expected way.

Darcie Moore thanked Cheryl Smith
  • deborahhines
    4 years ago

2nd way is correct. Buy knee pads for everyone!

Darcie Moore thanked deborahhines
  • PRO
    Darcie Moore thanked Filipe Custom Woodwork
  • Ig222
    4 years ago

2nd way

Darcie Moore thanked Ig222
  • PRO
    Darcie Moore thanked Mysha's Flooring Company
  • Darcie Moore
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone! We worked for about 4 hours our first day and finished 350 sf. The Korlok is easy to work with and I’m loving the color (Warm Ash).

Will take decent pics when we finish up, but for now here are some progress shots.

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

looks real nice.

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

Does the Korlok need transitions through doorways or pinch points (around 36")?

• Darcie Moore
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Don't believe so. I had a few different flooring companies come out to quote the job and none planned to use transitions in the doorways.

Sponsored