seattleharpist

Need to find a Blum HInge expert to solve my problem

Seattleharpist .
3 years ago

Small backstory. I had some Scherr's cabinets added to my kitchen in 2005 to fill in some empty space. Last year I needed to replace the rest of my original cabinets to get the bank to refi my mortgage. (Appraisal was far too low.) Scherr's told me they had a 6 month backlog for new cabinets. Well, I couldn't wait that long for the refi, so I bought them elsewhere. The new cabinets are painted white. The Scherr's from 2005 are natural maple. This week I received all new white doors to replace the maple doors. I just finished installing them and I need to make some micro adjustments to the door positions so they all line up along the bottom edge. But these Blum hinges do not allow for adjustment in that direction. I guess I have to replace all or part of the hinge, but I'm just spinning my wheels online trying to find the information. Any suggestions where to look, who to ask? I will try to attach a photo of the hinge. I have a heart condition and this is really stressing me out. I'll try the Blum website again later, but looking at it just made me stress out more.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Pop those covers off so we can see the screws please. And watch this.

• Lynn
    3 years ago

Maybe these would work (link below). When I purchased my ikea cabinets I was short some hinges and they weren’t available for a few months during the pandemic. I bought these and they did work well. Not soft close, but they did work well.

UTRUSTA Hinge pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CZ7T8CQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_W9b1FbZT4QF2S

• PRO
    Taylor's Cabinets & Interiors
    3 years ago

The screw on the mounting plate will cam the plate up or down. The "covers" are what holds the plate to the cabinet. Pop them and you can pull the plate off.

• Seattleharpist .
    Original Author
    3 years ago

There are no hidden screws. I did find a pdf of mounting plates online someplace. The first one is what I have. I think I want the second one with the elongated slots. But I would have to fill in the current holes so I could use screws. The mounting is otherwise identical.

I don't see any part no. on my current plate, so I don't know how to tell if it's a 0 or a 3. How can something be 0 high?

• salex
    3 years ago

The height refers to how far the base of the arm (the part coming off the door) will be from the cabinet side. 0 plate height means it will be flush - which is almost certainly what you need for frameless cabinets.

The height adjustment difference between the two hinge plates you've shown is only +/-1 mm - which is likely not a huge game-changer.

Adjusting adjacent door edges right/left and in/out can have a surprisingly big effect on overall door alignment. If that doesn't work, investigate further what others said - there should be a hidden or partly visible screw on the plate (which doesn't show in your photo) that allows you to move the entire plate up and down.

• Seattleharpist .
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The l/r and i/o help a little, but I think I'm going to have to get the new plates. Thanks for your help. I'm going to order a few to try it out.

Sponsored