raineyann

Bathroom renovation begins - Seeking opinions on selections please

Hi

Houzzers have been a wonderful help to me in figuring out how to redesign my bathrooms, and I've finally settled on a plan, but I am still agonizing over a couple of issues.

I'd love some advice please.

(1) One of the experts quoting on renovation has urged me to choose a freestanding bath. He says they are much more modern and elegant (that I agree with) but I feel they are more suited to a bigger bathroom. As I have a very tight space, I fear it will hard to clean around a freestanding model. I thought I could live with a corner back-to-wall style, as it would only have one open curved end, but I'm advised they cost an extra $400 to install due to waterproofing issues, and they are expensive to buy - especially in smaller sizes.

What do Houzzers think about fitting a freestanding bath into a tight space?

What are the negatives I should consider if tempted to choose a built-in bath?

(2) I currently have tiles floor to ceiling on all walls. The designer whose quote I am currently favouring has quoted to replace all tiles in the same way. Although I acknowledge the benefits in terms of cleaning and maintenance, I feel the current bathroom is unattractive because there is too much of the same very dull tile, and the cost to renovate is huge because all wall lining have to be completely removed. I thought maybe just partial tiling would be better, and would save money that could be spend on nicer tiles and other extras, but the designer is urging me to tile all walls to the ceiling, saying it is much more stylish and adds value to the house. He says it would be a big mistake to reduce the area tiled.

What do Houzzers think?

(3) I was tempted to splurge on a custom-made one-piece porcelain shower base to avoid grubby grout lines on the shower floor, but the designer urged me to choose dark coloured 900 x 450 tiles instead, which would result in only a couple of dark coloured horizontal grout lines in a 900 x 1800 shower. I have found tiles I like in that size, but my chosen wall tiles are 1200 x 600 for the shower and 600 x 600 elsewhere (except for the small feature tiles over the vanity and in the niche).

Will the mismatch of tile sizes be a problem? I am imagining grout lines on the wall being completely out of line with the lines on the floor.

Despite the existing tiling using compatible sized tiles, the grout lines are all over the place! But the builder commented that the tiler did a terrible job and I don't want to repeat mistakes. Is it important to use compatible-sized tiles and try to keep the floor and wall joins lining up?

Comments (34)