belgiantex

30" Induction Range: Bertazzoni, Bosch, GE, Fulgor, Miele, Wolf, etc.

belgiantex
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We’ve been researching a 30” induction range for almost two years now and since much information is spread out over many different discussion topics, I decided to compile my thoughts and findings.

Note that these are purely based on some of my personal subjective preferences and experiences, so yours may differ. Below are the ones that mattered to me:

1. Controls:

· Do they have knobs or touch panel controls?

· If it’s knobs, are they easy to see and made from a robust material or are they plastic?

· For touch panels, is there an individual control per burner, or do you need to tap the burner selection first and then adjust the power level?

2. Size of cooking surface:

· Will there be enough space to fits a few larger pots and pans?

· What is the layout of the larger burners?

· Front: easy to reach vs back: may need to reach over a pan

3. Cooking power:

· What is the max boost and the nominal power of the burners?

· Is there a bridge function?

· Do I need a 50A circuit or is 40A sufficient?

4. Oven:

· Size: not the biggest deal breaker for me

· Cooking modes: huge fan of convection baking and roasting.

· Racks and sidewall material?

5. Service and reputation:

· Is it a brand I feel comfortable purchasing?

· Do I have friends who have good or bad experiences?

· Will my dealer service the brand vs a 3rdparty?

With those disclaimers out of the way, I’ll go down the list of each brand I considered. As models change regularly, I will specify the detailed model as well, but I’m sure in a year or even six months there will be changes. But it can perhaps serve as a guideline.

The ones I looked at in detail are:

· Bertazzoni

· Bosch

· Dacor

· Electrolux

· Fisher & Paykel

· Fulgor Milano

· GE

· Miele

· Wolf

I will list some other brands at the bottom that I had a cursory look at, but didn’t quite fit my needs or preferences

Bertazzoni

If you’ve scoured the forums for pro-style ranges, the Bertazzoni name comes up quite a bit. An Italian maker that has been around for quite a while, just not very well known in the American consumer market. They make two models. One in their Master series MAST304INMXX and one in the Professional series PROF304INS. They also come in a variety of colors to match your kitchen décor. The Professional series comes with three racks instead of two, and has self clean. The Master series comes with two racks and has no self clean.

· Controls: Both have knob controls located on the front of the range. They look a little different, but the tear drop shape of the Professional series is appealing. They felt sturdy and easy to use. However no indicator light under the glass top to show the selected power level

· Cooking Surface: One of the smaller cooking surfaces compared to some of the others. It’s not bigger than my current radiant cooktop. They do have a bridge burner on the right hand side and the largest burner is on the left rear.

· Cooking Power: They have some of the highest rated burners, and yet only require a 40A circuit. This is why the oven is a bit smaller and has less powerful elements than some of the others

· Oven: I do like the oven size and layout. With stainless steel racks that slide in brackets on the side, I found them easy to move around and very sturdy. The size was more than sufficient for my needs. Lacked some cooking modes I was considering

· Service and reputation: This is probably the biggest unknown. Some reviewers have complained about inaccurate or malfunctioning ovens, but those seem to be applicable to the gas ovens. There’s not too much out there with regards to the induction ranges, so I would ask your dealer for advice in this area.

· Summary: The Bertazzoni PROF304INS is a top contender in our shortlist and definitely one you should consider if you are looking for an induction range with good functionality.

Bosch

A top player in the induction cooking world with a much-praised induction range. The Bosch Benchmark HIIP056U gets excellent reviews and is one of the most popular high-end induction ranges out there.

· Controls: This is my biggest challenge with the Bosch. The touch panel controls on the top feature a single power sliding scale. Without individual controls for each burner. one would have to select the burner, adjust the power, select the next burner, adjust the power, etc… I’m sure many people are fine with that or that one could get used to it. But for me, it is a dealbreaker.

· Cooking Surface: One of the better cooking surfaces with a large bridge burner on the left. The larger burner is almost center towards the read of the surface. While the smallest burner is on the front right.

· Cooking Power: Very similar in power to all other ranges in the list, so more than sufficient for the day-to-day cooking

· Oven: The oven is quite middle of the road with two oven racks but no full extension gliding rack. It also provides a warming drawer.

· Service and reputation: Bosch have an excellent reliability rating and my local dealer highly recommends them. They also service them and hence the Bosch ranks high in the reliability and service area.

· Summary: The Bosch Benchmark HIIP056U is an extremely popular model and has many features that fit the bill. The deal breaker for me are the controls. Some will disagree, but to each their own.

Dacor

Likewise Dacor has been a major player in high-end appliances for a long time. The Dacor Heritage HIPR30S was very high on my initial list. For an additional cost, it can even be color matched to the rest of your décor.

· Controls: Electronic touch panel control built-in on the top of the cooking surface. With individual power level settings for each burner that can be controlled by sliding your finger or just tapping the desired setting

· Cooking Surface: One of the better cooking surfaces with a large bridge burner on the left. The largest burner is situated in the middle and two more burners on the right with the smallest in the rear. One loses some cooking area due to the sliders that are located in the front.

· Cooking Power: Excellent power is provided to all five burners and the different oven elements. The range requires a 50A circuit to support the power needs.

· Oven: I personally love the Dacor ovens. They are consistent in temperature, provide very even cooking and are spacious.

· Service and reputation: While Dacor used to have a good reputation, it appears this is area of most concern. Since the Samsung acquisition, there seem to be more quality issues. The appliance dealer I have been working with has decided to phase out their Dacor product offering. They claim too many service and quality issues recently.

· Summary: While this range started out very high on my list due to my experiences with Dacor cooking appliances, it has somewhat unfortunately dropped down in the rankings. The reported reliability and service issues are too much for me.

Electrolux

Initially I had ruled out Electrolux due to the many issues people reported with the electronic touchpad of the model EW30IS80RS. But recently Electrolux introduced model ECFI3068AS to replace the previous model. Not much is available yet, but this is what I was able to find

· Controls: Front knob controls with an individual control per burner. Two additional knobs control the oven setting and temperature.

· Cooking Surface: I was unable to find one in person to measure, but based on images, it appears to be one of the smallest surfaces out there. Due to its vent in the rear and the counter depth appliance, the cooking surface is only 19” ½ to maybe 20” deep.

· Cooking Power: Likewise the burners seem to be underpowered compared to for instance the Bertazzoni and Dacor. But one only requires a 40A circuit

· Oven: This is where the Electrolux seems to make up for what it lacks on the cooking surface. Stainless steel racks, with one fully extensible gliding rack. All the oven programs I am looking for and spacious enough for our needs.

· Service and reputation: Perhaps a bigger unknown as there are not too many experiences yet with the model ECFI3068AS. On the previous model the control panel was the biggest cause of failure, but since that has been replaced with different controls altogether, perhaps the issue has been addressed. A friend has this cooktop in a 36” induction rangetop and is quite pleased with it.

· Summary: I only discovered the revamped model recently and information is hard to come by. Since we are making a decision soon, I think it will be out of contention. But it may very well worth your while to have a closer look at it.

Fisher & Paykel

The household appliance division of professional range manufacturer DCS, the appliances are stylish, robust and perform very well. More in particular the induction range Series 9 Classic OR30SCI6 caught my eye with its stunning design. More recently, they also released the Series 9 Professional RIV3304

· Controls: Front knob controls that are very responsive. The Classic has six controls lined up in a row. One for each burner and two for the oven. The Professional series has four control knobs for the burners and a front touch control panel for the oven. While testing out both, the Classic knobs felt better in the hand and had a small stop on each ½ power level. Which I actually liked as you have a sensory feedback when you reach the next power level. On the Professional, the knobs felt plasticky and loose.

· Cooking Surface: While the Fisher & Paykel is not a counterdepth appliance, the rear vent and front trim take away quite a bit of space from the surface. The depth is only just under 20”.

· Cooking Power: The burners are four staggered individual burners on the Classic model. On the Professional model, that is replaced with two bridge capable burners on the right, a large left front burner and a smaller burner in the rear. 40A circuit

· Oven: This is where Fisher & Paykel falls short for American standards. Made in New Zealand and with a 3.5 Cu.Ft. oven in the Classic and a 4.0 Cu.Ft. they are undersized.

· Service and reputation: My dealer does carry their wall ovens and services them as well. They like the wall ovens and, while being on the smaller side, highly recommend them.

· Summary: I personally like the design, feel and layout of the Classic series. If it weren’t for the very small oven size, the Classic model would be a lot higher on my shortlist.

Fulgor Milano

Like Bertazzoni, Fulgor Milano is a long standing appliance manufacturer from Italy. While the brand is unknown, their OEM manufacturing business has been supplying induction range components and tops to many other high-end brands. The model that I like is the Fulgor Milano Sofia F6PIR304S1. It can also be customized in a few different colors and the novel idea is that the range ships in stainless with a replacement door and trimkit in your chosen color. This allows you to always switch back to regular stainless steel if desired.

· Controls: Front knob controls that are solid machined aluminum. Four controls for the four individual burners and two for the oven. In addition, there is an indicator light for the selected power settings on the top under the glass. The oven temp knob felt a little loose, which makes it a little easy to accidentally change the temperature on the oven range.

· Cooking Surface: The largest cooking surface of any of the ranges I was able to look at. Even with the rear vent and measuring to the indicator lights, it is over 20” ½ deep. This does mean that the appliance is quite deep at 29” overall.

· Cooking Power: The burners are four staggered individual burners without a bridge function. They are also some of the most powerful burners on any induction range and consequently the range requires a 50A circuit.

· Oven: One of the largest and best equipped ovens in the line-up. Three staggered oven lights provide excellent visibility. Stainless racks of which two are regular sliding and one is a full extension gliding rack.One can purchase an additional gliding rack as an option.

· Service and reputation: While the brand is only now starting to become more popular in the United States, a few reviews out there mention some issues. But again they are mainly pertaining to gas ranges, not induction. My dealer has had very few service calls, claims they have an excellent relationship with Fulgor Milano and said they are very responsive. When I put it to the test by emailing them with a few product inquiries, I got a response within 24 hours. Follow-up emails likewise were responded to within hours. That’s impressive.

· Summary: While it went largely unnoticed, this is now one of my top three choices. I have some reservations about the oven controls, but find myself scratching my head to find anything negative about it. The remaining uncertainty is the unknowns of a new brand to the American market.

General Electric

GE has a few different product lines, so I focused mainly on the GE Profile model PHS93XYPFS and the GE Café model CHS90XP2MS1. Both models are very similar, with the Profile being a more modern look versus the Café being a more industrial type look.

· Controls: The Profile has touch panel controls on the top at the front of the cooking surface, while the Café model has knobs on the front of the range. Both have individual burner controls with an indicator of the used power level at the top.

· Cooking Surface: Large and includes a bridge burner on the left. The main, large 11” burner is situated at the right front. I also includes a fifth warming zone.

· Cooking Power: Limited by a 40A circuit, the power is a little less than the makers who opted for a 50A requirement. But it has more than sufficient power levels for regular every day cooking.

· Oven: The racks feel flimsy and cheap. The oven side walls are some form of semi-coated black enamel. The single gliding rack is very stiff and lightweight. Overall, I found the oven to be somewhat disappointing for a $5,000 range.

· Service and reputation: Based on feedback from personal friends, it’s been a bit hit and miss.

· Summary: The GE models were a top contender for quite a while, especially thank to some of the cooking features such as a remote probe for sous-vide cooking, temperature control when using a specific pan. However for a little more investment there are options that I personally liked better.

Miele

One of the most reputable, reliable and longest standing home appliances manufacturers in Europe. No surprise then that their induction range is considered the best of the best. Reliable, excellent proprietary service network, great cooking surface with sufficient power, an oven that is large enough and has many features. The Miele HR 1622, now in its third generation HR 1622-3 I, is the top of the top

· Controls: Four knobs, two on each side, for individually controlling each burner. An electronic touch panel in the front of the range tilts upwards when activate to provide access to all the oven controls. It has all cooking functions one can imagine and even provides steam baking when hooked up to a waterline. The only induction range to offer that feature.

· Cooking Surface: Large with four individual burners that cannot be bridged. Second in size to the Fulgor Milano above, it offers a 21” deep glass surface when measure edge to edge. The burner layout is staggered, leaving what Miele calls a “resting zone” in the rear left corner.

· Cooking Power: Given the required 50A circuit, the burners are some of the most powerful on the market. An additional feature is that the induction zones can adjust somewhat to size, so you don’t have to find the perfect fitting pot or pan.

· Oven: This is perhaps the most impressive feature of the Miele range. Large, with dual convection fans, it can be manually set to a wide variety of cooking modes. Or it is equipped with Miele’s Masterchef that can walk you step-by-step through shelf placement, temperature, duration, etc… to make cooking as easy as possible.

· Service and reputation: Miele is one of the most reliable brands out there. Several people are mentioning that the installation can be finicky and if the installer doesn’t take good care of the appliance, the internal electronics can shift, leading to a stove that’s dead on arrival. So it’s highly recommended to work with a reputable installer and ensure the range is in fully working order prior to them leaving. Otherwise, service calls are few and far between.

· Summary: The service aspect is perhaps what concerns me the most. It’s definitely the top of the line appliance with the most features. It is also the most expensive one out there. Combine the cost with the risk of longer service wait times, and perhaps this is not for everyone. For me, it remains a strong top three contender.

Wolf

Wolf have been around for many years, have an excellent reputation and are very well equipped. Consequently, they are pricey. Only second to Miele on this list. Wolf recently updated the previous induction model IR304PESPH with the instantly recognizable red knobs to a model in the Transitional line IR30450ST.

· Controls: All the controls are now a touch panel control situated at the top front of the range. Individual power controls for each burner, of which the two on the right can be bridged. The oven control panel is located just below the burner controls.

· Cooking Surface: While it looks large given the 28” ¼ inch overall depth of the range, the front metal trim that contains the oven control panel and the burner touch controls take quite a bit of space away from the cooking area. I measured it at only 19” ½ deep.

· Cooking Power: Wolf requires a 50A circuit. This to ensure there is sufficient power for both the induction burners and the convection ovens four heating elements. The biggest burner is on the front left, the smallest on the rear left, with the two bridge burners on the right.

· Oven: The Wolf oven rivals the Miele oven is size, stainless steel racks, of which two are full extension gliding racks, dual convection fans and, like Miele, a guided cooking mode called “Gourmet”.

· Service and reputation: Wolf prides themselves on quality and their own service department if something were to go wrong. They have an excellent reliability rating. The new model has an edge to edge glass cooktop on three sides. There have been reports of cracks or chips in the cooktop due to careless installers, bumping against a stone backsplash or the stove hitting the countertop on the sides. The solution is to install a small stainless backguard and raise the stove above the countertops on the sides.

· Summary: This is the final of my three top contenders. The quality, reliability and features of the Wolf range are near unparalleled. The downside of the Wolf range remains the smaller surface of the cooktop.

Other brands

Here are some brands I contemplated and briefly considered as well:

· Beko: I cannot find sufficient information and have no dealer close by.

· Blomberg: Likewise. There is only one dealer in my area and they didn’t have any showroom floor models

· Frigidaire: They do have a few induction models, but the touch controls were cumbersome, so I didn’t pursue their model much further

· Jenn-air: Model JIS1450DS was initially very appealing. It has a large cooking surface, four burners and one of the largest ovens available if you include the baking drawer. I discounted it for the controls. A single power bar requires you to select the burner, adjust, select the burner, adjust.

· Kenmore: While the brand seems to be still around and now sold at other Big Box stores, the brand seems to be on its last legs after the Sears closures.

· Kitchenaid: The Kitchenaid KSIB900ESSoffers a large capacity oven, a large cooking surface and gets very good reviews. But like the Jenn-air above, it leverages the same single power control approach. But if that’s not an issue, this may very well be a very good option to consider

· LG: I considered LSE4617ST and LSIS3018SS. However, since my daughter had very negative experiences with her LG fridge and washer, I decided not to pursue the brand

· Samsung: They have some models I looked at. The virtual blue flame is a nice touch. But based on friends horrible experiences, it’s a brand I’ve limited to electronics. Yes, I have a Samsung TV but I’m staying away for large appliances

· Viking: Viking always elicits a wow factor. It has four identical 9” burners that each can provide up to an impressive 3,700 watts of cooking power which offers a lot of flexibility. The Viking 5 series VIR53014BFW is definitely worth looking at. But at an additional $2,000 higher cost than Miele or Wolf I didn’t think it’s worth it.

So there it is. The most comprehensive induction range write-up I could think of. I attach some image of cooktop layouts, front images, etc… all scaled to be identical 30” width to provide an idea how they compare to each other.

Remember this is all my personal preferences and yours may differ

Good luck, thanks for reading this far and happy cooking

Features comparison (more images in comment)

Comments (61)

• belgiantex
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Alex Schultz

I love them and they were high on my list for a long time. And still are. F&P is the domestic branch of DCS and they are quite reputable. I also love the look and design of them. The oven size was just too small for our use.

The Classic and Contemporary are near identical, with the oven window being the biggest difference. But I'll have to go back to my notes to make sure. If there's a difference, it's something small like perhaps the self clean function. Which most appliance folks tell you to use very sparingly as it's so hard on all the electronics.

I would however stay away from the new "Professional" line. While it addresses the biggest drawback of the Series 9 (either contemporary or classic have a small oven) by having a larger oven size, the controls are plastic, feel different and not as robust as the Contemporary or Classic.

In the words of an appliance dealer I talked to:

"F&P had something great with their ovens. And while they were small, they just had to go and mess it all up with their new one"

If the oven size isn't a blocker and you have a local dealer who services them, I wouldn't feel bad for going with F&P personally. I do think service availability is something you'll have to consider in your area.

good luck

• rureadyinla
    2 years ago

Wow. I am not sure if I looked into induction cooktop as much as you have (I think just a month or two at a local store that displayed all the brands). I've had mine for about 7 years now and it is Bosch. It works fine and have not had one issue. My two biggest wants were a relatively flat surface and shallow bottom as I store seasonings in a draw right below the cooktop. At the time I really liked the GE Monogram because it came in a gray color, but I believe it was not shallow enough at that time (not sure the current options).

• Alex Schultz
    2 years ago

@belgiantex

That's reassuring to know regarding what the appliance dealer thought- seems to be the general consensus. We've never used more than one rack on our current oven so we definitely think we can make the smaller oven work (plus maybe it'll preheat faster since it's so small lol). I've called/ spoken to all 4 local F&P dealers in my areas and they all had good things to say. Unfortunately, I haven't been successful contacting the 2 local F&P servicers to see how support will be.

The Professional model didn't really appeal to me since it was close enough to justify the Miele (although out of budget). I was ALL IN on the Classic model until I realized there's a top bar on the oven just above the knobs (really nit picking here). I'll need to see this in person to see if it hurts the visibility of the knobs when cooking. It's tough since I don't want the Contemporary model to really look out of place in my traditional (with pops of transitional) kitchen, although I'm sure it will also look amazing.

Thanks for the reply and additional information!

• chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

Alex Schultz- FWIW, I have the Classic, and never even noticed the top bar, until someone on a Houzz thread mentioned it. It’s there, but doesn’t obstruct my view at all. You should check it out for yourself, of course.

• Alex Schultz
    2 years ago

@chinacatpeekin That's really great to hear. I definitely need to find one on display before I decide. Looks like I've got my weekend plans lol. May I ask how long the wait for your FP Classic was? I'm hearing 4-8 weeks but just curious.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    2 years ago

We just put a Bosch 36" induction cooktop in my client's new kitchen--pix coming soon!--and they love it. I would also highly recommend Miele and Monogram.

• Lee M
    2 years ago

What a terrific resource! We recently installed a 36” F&P induction range in white and are learning to use it. It is very pretty!

• Liam M
    2 years ago

Thanks so much for this comprehensive breakdown! I've been going in circles trying to find the best 30" induction range for our kitchen renovation, and I'm definitely struggling, but your breakdown was clarifying. I have similar values to you it seems, and after much thought I felt I had landed on a Bertazzoni 30" induction range as the best fit for us. I asked the sales rep we've been working with about her thoughts and to my dismay, this was her reply: "In regards to the Bertazzoni brand I am not a fan. I can't say I have sold many of their induction ranges in particular probably more of their gas ranges and I have had more problems then not. It is not a brand that if you do have a problem is easy to service either. And I am not sure if you noticed but on the front panel the dial that reads the temperature doesn't actually give you a temperature reading, it just simply says Preheat, Bake and Roast. They made that change because they were getting complaints that their oven temperature was not accurate so they took the ability to know exactly what the temperature is away basically". So I guess my search continues...

• Wilma
    2 years ago

You are not looking at Bertazonni. But in case someone is. This is how they sound. A high pitched whistling sound that will be heard throughout the sound.

• Liam M
    2 years ago

That's odd! Hope that's something that can be remedied. Thanks for sharing, @Wilma. I guess if anything it helps me feel a little better about moving on from what I thought was a gorgeous-looking option.

• Wilma
    2 years ago

This is the response I received from Bertazonni on the whistling sound. Beware if buying this model.

I am giving you some information On how the stoves work again it is normal for the noise to occur when the stove is in use .

Bertazzoni products were available first in Italy in 1882 and are now sold internationally in more than 70 countries. None of the wires are heating up at all. … The convection fan is the internal fan in the ovenused to circulate hot air evenly throughout the oven. 603019, COOLING FAN, Bertazzoni Parts and Accessories, Bertazzoni Appliance Parts and Accessories, Bertazzoni Refrigerator Parts and Accessories. The oven includes convenient features such as smooth … Turned down to halfway, there's now a gentle breeze, rather than a wind, coming from the oven door, and the noise is reduced as well. Range and Wall Oven Fan Noise and Normal Operation. The convection fan only served to make matters worse, improving the pork loin’s evenness but causing it to lose an unfortunate 0.83 lbs of water and cook a bit more slowly. Keep an eye on the food while it cooks to make sure grease isn't splattering around the oven. The fan stays on whether the alleged convection is on or off. With technology designed to help you cook any dish to perfection, the Bertazzoni dual diagonal convection fans offer best-in-class even heat distribution throughout the extra-large 4.1 cu.ft oven cavity. If you have an over the oven microwave installed, it most likely has an exhaust fan to help ventilate your kitchen. (b) Make the following safety checks on all ovens to be serviced before activating the … Your grinding noise is probably the magnetron going bad. Zaminder | Dec 6, 2007 04:33 PM 27. Reviews (2) Q&A (3) Details; Compare ‹ See all Wall Ovens. Users complain that the one left side of the oven … This Bertazzoni freestanding gas range has five burners and continuous grates for easy rearrangement of cookware. Sharp lines make this range sleek. View Statistics. The reason the convection fan runs is to provide better baking and cooking performance. 1. Ranges, Ventilation Hood user manuals, operating guides & specifications Bertazzoni products were available first in Italy in 1882 and are now sold internationally in more than 70 countries. You can distinguish this noise from others by turning the exhaust fan off and listening to see if the sound continues.

IF you want more of a break down, please do hesitate to reach back out

Thank you, Kimberly Escalations Support Representative,

• TBL from CT
    2 years ago

This is so helpful! Thank you for taking the time to assemble your findings. In your research did you find information about the ability to adjust the heat of each burner? I recall a recent post or article about budget induction cook tops which compared a brand to a near-identical Ikea model (may have been Frigidaire). However, the Ikea model didn't have as much heat adjustability and the name brand had twice the increments. I want to nudge the heat to exactly control simmering or sauteing. I'm not sure if higher end models have infinite control or stepped increments.

• Rebecca Weiss
    2 years ago

Given the complete cut and paste garbage reply Kimberly from Bertazonni - I think their staff drink on Fridays.

• theresa21
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

For those of you that require knobs, it looks like Bosch is coming out with an industrial style Induction Range 30" and 36". https://www.abt.com/Bosch-Induction-Ranges/bc/113-2511.html

• Lizzie J
    2 years ago

BelgianTex, thank you so much for this information!!!

• JJ Mekai
    last year

@belgiantex, thank you for providing such detailed info. It is very helpful. Have you made a decision on your range? If so, what did you purchase? If it is installed, how do you like it?

• shaneegan13
    last year

Looks like we have the same taste and criteria haha. Looking for an induction range, preferably with knob controls. No dealers in my area have the bertazonni on display, so it’s been a struggle! I wish Wolf didn’t ditch the knobs on the new model

• Brian F
    last year

I was deciding between the 30" F&P RIV3-304, Miele 1622, and FM Sofia, with a lean towards the first two. For some of the concerns about the burner size on the RIV3-304 cooking surface, the larger ring is 11" in diameter, while the two bridgeable burners are 9" x 9". I didn't bother measuring the smallest burner, as my primary concern was with the larger ring.

The RIV3-304 oven is 4 sq ft, but the trays are deeper than on the F&P contemporary range, previously mentioned. A standard sheet pan should fit just fine.

In contrast, this is the Fulgor Milano Sofia's 4.1 cu ft oven space.

Lastly, the RIV3-304 wasn't plugged in, so I couldn't gauge the "plasticky and loose" feel on its control knobs; however, they do feel sturdier on the Folgur Milano range.

Since I'm more inclined to roast chicken than a large turkey, I felt comfortable enough to order the FP induction.

Hope this is helpful.

• gardnr
    last year

@eam44

@belgiantex

Did either of you end up with the Folgor 30” induction range? I am considering their 30” rangetop and was looking for any real life feedback. Thanks!

• belgiantex
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

@gardnr and @JJ Mekai

I did not
    Ended up preferring the Wolf, but wait times are still problematic, so we put if off until next year.

I will update and revisit this in the Spring of 2023.

One new contender on the block is the aforementioned new Bosch model. But there's not a lot of info out there yet.

As mentioned before, we're not in a hurry.

• eam44
    last year

I believe @Design Girl has it installed. I still plan to buy it, I just am not ready for it yet.

• Design Girl
    last year

I have installed the 36 inch Fulgor Milano Sofia Induction RANGE TOP, not the whole range, as I have Wolf double wall ovens. I have to say I love induction range top so far.

• enduring
    last year

@ Brian F, have you installed your F&P range yet? Wondering what you think of it oompared to the Classic version from F&P. There was a comment earlier in this thread where a contributor mentioned a vendor critizing the RIV model of F&P over the smaller Classic model. What do you think?

• HU-840451125
    last year

@enduring The RIV range is installed, and I absolutely love it! Was worried about the oven size, but it's perfect for everyday use. The only minor irritant is the grinding sound the control panel makes when retracting. Otherwise, it heats quickly and cooks beautifully.

• Paul F.
    last year

Someone posted the following the other day. I find it very interesting. "Attached are diagrams for the Miele KM7697 as well as Gaggenau cx482101. The Miele is marketed as Full surface. It’s the Miele has 6 rectangular inductors. The gaggenau has 48 small inductors."

• JJ Mekai
    last year

Paul f, do you know if the Miele full surface induction cooktop will be available in the US? Apparently, it's been available in Europe for a while.

• Paul F.
    last year

And Canada! The local 'Miele experience' storefront says not until 2024. They say they are irritated by all the "misinformation" on Houzz. It's ridiculous because they are the ones that put the video on youtube with American actors introducing the cooktop to north America over 3 years ago. There is no explanation why it is delayed.

However, if the supposed "full surface" induction is not accurate, why am I waiting... I'm going with true full surface Gaggenau or Thermador.

• enduring
    last year

Ok I found a floor model fulgor milano sofia induction 30” on sale local for $4100 what do you think on the price? their price was originally $6500

Stainless Steel:

16oz water bottle for scale:

Largest hob:

• Design Girl
    last year

@enduring - That seems like a good price. My 36 inch induction range top was a little over 3K. I can't comment on the oven, but I absolutely LOVE my induction. It is so much more responsive than gas, clean up is a breeze, and it was thoughtfully designed. Pic for reference.

• enduring
    last year

Thanks Design Girl, that is nice looking. That is great to hear it is working so well. I see it protrudes a fair amount into your space. That factor with the range is why I have decided not to get the range. The handle was very large and intrusive into my small space. It was a gamble anyway because it was a display model. My lovely kitchen is 7.5X12' and depth of range is important. My current range, while about the same depth with handle, as the FM, has a handle that is sculpted at the sides so it wont catch me in the hip or side as I walk by. I have a tight walk way of 30" - 32".

The pictures I posted of the FM does represent how it would be proud of the cabinets in my kitchen, but with the walkway being sooo narrow, it will be an issue I think. I think the FM was a good deal, sorry to have to pass it by. Ill keep the thread updated with my ultimate choice.

• Design Girl
    last year

@enduring - You are correct that my range top does stick out 3 inches from the counter. I wish it was less ( as I am only 5'1" ) but it seems most do protrude some. I have a 44 inch wide walkway so it isn't a problem for me, but understand your issue. Good luck to you.

• enduring
    last year

Design girl well im about 95% sure im getting this range! i know its a little more proud of the cabinets but im not caring any more, lol.

How has your edges around the ceramic held up? do you find that it scratches easy?

Because this range is more than a year old from the manufacture date, i only qualify for a 1 year parts and labor warranty if i read the warranty correctly - but i have an email out to the north american distributor to verify. I’ll purchase a 5 year warrenty as well but it only includes parts and not labor, and not replacement iirc When i went into the showroom to be sure i didn’t want the FM this morning, I could really tell the difference with the FM build compaired with the Fisher Paykel. I will most likely get the FM because of the price. All the materials included with the range are with the floor model, meaning documents, temp prob, and broiling pan. Its never been used to demo. High end appliances are almost too much for my locale. Once i buy it i will be dealling with the Vetta Group for warranty work.

• Design Girl
    last year

@enduring - If you mean the stainless around the black ceramic top, I have had no issues. There are no scratches and it cleans up well. I've also had great luck with the black ceramic top. Nothing stuck on, or burned. I spray fantastic on the whole thing and wipe with paper towels. haha.

• enduring
    last year

Well I did it. I bought the FM 30” induction range. I will need to be contacted by the installers to set up a date for delivery and install.

• ScotExpat Cali
    last year

So appreciative if your tedious analytical efforts! We are looking for 30” and frustrated by the inability to see most of them (California East Bay Area).
    My husband has vision issues so clear, bright controls and knobs are important. I want the highest power burner to be in front because I sear meats and sauté frequently. But want all burners to have high power. So we are talking 60 amp, right? And I have a 15” griddle I want to use. I want at least one telescopic rack in oven and to easily bake on 2-3 racks at a time using European convection, like you see on the Great British Baking show. And what about vents from oven? Are they in top rear or in front above oven door? Which is best?
    Hoping someone will chime in here. Thanks

• enduring
    last year

Quickchangeartist, Im supised you don't have appliances galore in your area. Would sticky braille like numbers/letters be of help? Or just sticky bright colors, like made out of silicone, work. I don't know if my touch could feel it as i've gotten older, but was wondering. Im thinking something like alien tape. another name is nano tape. it doesnt have glue, I dont think. You could put a little bit of colored material or tape under it, leaving a nice periphery to allow adhesion on the range. It should peel right off when you want it to, without much problem.

• enduring
    last year

My 30" induction Fulgor Milano will be delivered tomorrow. I will post an update once its installed.

• enduring
    last year

Heres the new range. I haven't baked cookies in it yet. I am ordering an oven thermometer to check the temp. I don't know if I can just plug the meat prob in and let it tell me the temp? Anyway it fits and so far so good.

• Meltem KW
    last year

Thank you so much for this detailed report!

• ScotExpat Cali
    last year

Enduring ….
    Does your oven have telescopic rack(s)?
    Does it have true European convection?
    Thanks

• enduring
    last year

Yes it has 1 telescoping rack and 2 regular racks. Yes it has true european convection. The only thing I've noticed that I don't like is that if you lean against the range, as I've apparently been inclind to do all these years, it's easy to turn the cooking knobs to an on postion. The oven needs 2 controls to be on to heat, so that hasn't happened. My kitchen is very small so that contributes to "range leaning" as others are at the table and I'm talking to them.

The convection is very quiet when running. It continues to have a fan run after the oven is turned off, and this is to cool down the door, iirc. I baked cookies and it was a very even bake. I have an oven thermometer that I'll want to check heating accuracy.

• Michelle
    10 months ago

@enduring your new range is beautiful! I am considering the same range in the 36". What are your thoughts now that you've had it a couple of months?

• Michelle
    10 months ago

@belgiantex Thank you for the amazing meta analysis of all of the different options! Well done!

• awm03
    10 months ago

" F&P is the domestic branch of DCS "

F&P were bought out by Haier, the same Chinese company that bought GE.

• Wilhelm Rossini
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Any recent updates on this thread? Reliability and service for specific induction brands? Design Girl, how is your FM rangetop performing?

• tinihaus
    9 months ago

@enduring Beautiful! Can you fit a large turkey in the oven, and what model did u get? Sophia? Thanks. P.S that is not a small kitchen. Come and see my Manhattan kitchen. : )

• enduring
    8 months ago

@tinihaus thank you. my kitchen if I didn't state is above is 7.5'?x12'? I like the range. I'm not a big cook, maybe not even a little cook. The baking seems fine. The cook top seems fine. I got mine on sale and I don't know if I would have paid full price or not. One thing that I noticed was that there is a vent in the back of the cooktop where things could spill into if you were a sloppy cooker. I was so worried about it that I purchased the 9" back splash ($300 or so?) to put there. It has the vents near the top of the piece and a little shelf on top that I'd be afraid to use cause I'd knock things onto the ceramic top. I havent got it on yet, but I know it will give me more peace of mind. The control knobs in the front are handy so you don't have to reach over the hot food, but since our kitchen is a "1 butt kitchen" they get bumped on, with you guessed it, the second butt. But there is no harm done. I just make sure that these are off, through out the day. I miss having the timer control up on the backsplash of my old range, at eye level. But I'm adjusting. I think I'm happy with the construction of the oven door. My past oven and the PF have openings that allow liquids to run down between the glass. I hated that annoying design in the old stove.

Turkey size? IDK. The height from the telescoping rack surface to a bit below the top of the oven is about 12" if you put the regular rack there instead it would add height and you'd get about 13" the depth is 15" on the rack. The width side to side is 23" maybe you could get 24" out of is, but you'd be scraping the walls I think.

• Michelle
    5 months ago

My sister was recently shopping for a Bosch induction range and the sales person told her the Pro version was indeed manufactured by Smegg and did not have the same reliability as the Bosch Benchmark and 800 slide in versions of their induction ranges.

belgiantex thanked Michelle
  • sibanez
    2 months ago

@ Design Girl how has your FM induction rangetop been for you? I'm considering it for my remodel. I would much rather have knobs than digital controls and the FM looks quite pretty.

Sponsored