ruthmilo

PointPod advice

ruthmilo
10 months ago

We will be installing a new kitchen island and are considering a PointPod. Has anyone had any experience with one. Pros and cons would be helpful.

Comments (13)

• siriuskey
    10 months ago

more details please

• siriuskey
    10 months ago

do you need a pod, what is your kitchen design

• ruthmilo
    Original Author
    10 months ago

We would have a round hole made in the island bench top - Caesar stone or similar. The pod will occupy space beneath the bench top and a drawer will be modified to accommodate.
    After use will the PointPod be a trap for crumbs and other bench top waste?

• ruthmilo
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I am not keen on having a PowerPoint on the side of the island bench. Waterfall edge.

• siriuskey
    10 months ago

Why do you have a need for it

• ruthmilo
    Original Author
    10 months ago

To plug in electrical appliances for food preparation

• Kate
    10 months ago

You seem to know the pros and cons. Being a moving part more to go wrong. But better aesthetics. I have a small island so it would get in my way.

• Midcentury Lover
    10 months ago

It depends on your kitchen layout. I have planned to have enough power points in my scullery and prefer my appliances there near my working sink. I personally don’t like PowerPoints on the side of kitchen islands either. I’m putting one in one of the top drawers just in case I have a need for using an electric applicable on the bench. Really think about what you will use on the bench before putting one in.

• dreamer
    10 months ago

I have a double power point in my bench. I have a full corner bench window, so was unable to put power outlet in a wall. It stays open all of the time. And is out of the way in a corner. Personally, yes a pod would be useful, but would get in the way of other people using the bench top. How long is your bench top, is there plenty of room for using bench around the pod? Is there access to other bench space on walls of kitchen for power points. I would take Midcentury Lover advice and install drawer power points instead.

• dreamer
    10 months ago

Will you be having a sink in your island bench? Be aware of the regulations for distance between power points and sinks. Water and electricity don’t mix.

• Kate
    10 months ago

Look for a 10amp port for iPad.

• siriuskey
    10 months ago

You can never have enough power points and agree with not putting any on waterfall edges What size will your island be and do you plan a sink or cooktop being installed. Mine is 1200 x 2700 with 900 cooktop with shadow line benchtop with double power points on both ends. Make sure that there's no conflict with a sink and think the Pointpod would be great and should be sealed enough to avoid crumbs etc

• ruthmilo
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you all. Great advice. The island will be 2725 x 900. The overhang will be 300. No sink or cooktop, just the PointPod and all the stuff that will be ‘dumped’ there inevitably😉.