webuser_733173324

why does cement board for tub wall not extend the width of tub?

Panda Bear
7 months ago

Does anyone know why the cement board for tub wall not extend the width of the my tub ? On the other side it does but this side it doesn’t see left side of picture.

Comments (14)

• dan1888
    7 months ago

Plumber didn't have enough. Don't let him tile until it's corrected.

• PRO
    PPF.
    7 months ago

Questions like this should be directed to your builder.

• millworkman
    7 months ago

Ran short and did not want to buy more to finish the project would be my guess. But I would definitely question your "builder".

• PRO
    DeWayne
    7 months ago

Where's Waldo? There's more than just the board shortage that's an issue in that pic.

• artemis_ma
    7 months ago

My board went out to cover the entire walls of the tub properly. Ask, er, tell, your contractor to do the same.

• worthy
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Source

Your contractor undoubtedly knows more than Durock about the installation of its product.

("We always do it this way. No problems.")

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 months ago

Interesting that nowhere in the above Durock manufacturer drawing do they specify additional waterproofing.

As to Panda Bear's concern, it doesn't look to me to be anything to worry about.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    7 months ago

Who needs waterproofing all the way 'round a tub or shower...! Hint: everyone.

• worthy
    7 months ago

...nowhere in the above Durock manufacturer drawing do they specify additional waterproofing.

Good point!

Durock does note that TCNA guidelines recommend a waterproof membrane.

Or, to save a step, you can use a waterproof cement board.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    7 months ago

Is there a shower head above the tub?

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    7 months ago

@ Mark Bischak, Architect If this is not a soaking tub it will be installed after the tile is done :-)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    7 months ago

What did the builder say about the cement board?

• res2architect
    7 months ago

I suspect that one small panel was installed with the rough (logo) side facing the wall so the exposed face is smooth which is not a problem.

• res2architect
    7 months ago

Wonder Board is now about 50 years old with many imitators. In the mid to late 70's the Tile Council of North America added a hand stamped note diagonally across their drywall shower wall detail saying "NOT RECOMMENDED" but it took a long time for backer boards to be accepted as standard.

I ran a 13 story condominium project in Minneapolis and specified Wonder Board in the showers but the Construction Manager changed it to MR gypsum board to save money however the tile low bidder included Wonder Board in his proposal even though he was not expected to install a substrate. In a team meeting the sub was asked why he included Wonder Board and he said he had found that to be less expensive than than replacing the shower walls later.

But waterproofing was not recommended by manufacturers except behind the backer board in moisture sensitive areas. Waterproofing the face of the backer board came much later.

Sponsored