dont_tread

Looking for your opinion on sheathing instead of T1-11

dont tread
6 months ago

Does T1-11 plywood (not OSB) have any special treatment done to it compared to normal 19/32 plywood? Is the only difference it having tongue and groove ends, vertical cuts every ~6″ giving it the board and batten look + premium price?

Although the vertical cuts may give it a nicer appearance, I feel it weakens the overall strength (it cuts through 2 ply boards every ~6 inches).

I’m considering normal 19/32 plywood as an exterior sheathing for a 16 x 16′ cabin. For the gaps ( since its not T & G ) use vertical 3″ or larger furring strips like board and batten. This would be every 4′. I plan to seal with Bickmore Pine Tar which will stain it black.

Opinions / thoughts?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 months ago

Any time I used T-1-11, which was not often and a very long time ago, I used it as a siding material that was applied over the sheathing.

• dont tread
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@ Mark Bischak, Architect, did you lay down a weather barrier sheet over the sheathing then lay the T1-11 on top or did you put down stripping's to keep an air gap to prevent it lying on top and not have it rot from potential moisture behind?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    6 months ago

My 1968 house was T111 applied as siding over another sheathing

• rwiegand
    6 months ago

Not all T1-11 is rated for structural use. If you use it as shatahing or a combined sheathing and exterior cladding make sure it's got the stamp for structural use.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 months ago

Most likely a building wrap was applied over the structural sheathing before applying the siding. Sheathing used as siding provides little to no protection to the sheathing.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 months ago
  • Seabornman
    6 months ago

I lived in a house with T1-11 directly over studs (with felt paper if I remember correctly). This was in a drier climate and it worked, kinda. It had started it's life as masonite board over studs, but that started to fall apart after 20 years.

• res2architect
    6 months ago

Your questions are confusing and may contain some wrong assumptions.

Exterior plywood structural sheathing is usually 15/32" CDX that needs to be covered with siding.

T1-11 is considered a combination of siding and sheathing and is usually 19/32" because of the cuts. Both are more than strong enough for lateral bracing.

T1-11 gives a reverse board & batten appearance and has lapped long edges. Corner boards will be needed at the house corners. Horizontal joints will need metal z flashing.

IMO the drawback to T1-11 on studs is the window and door detailing. The exposed T1-11 will need to be stained (paint doesn't work well on softwood). Exposed and butted edges will be a liability. Watch a Youtube video.

Backup and tell us your goals and limitations so we can offer useful advice.

• aklogcabin
    6 months ago

I built a house in 96 with t 1. Still looks good. For what it is. House has been through a 7.2 earthquake with no problems. Use a good paint sprayed on and back rolled. Plan was to reside one day but now we have sold it. But the t 1 did its job well and looks good.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 months ago

As others have said, T1-11 is used for siding, not sheathing. Sheathing is done with either standard plywood or OSB, depending on lateral and wind requirements.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 months ago

As others have said, T1-11 is used as siding. Sheathing (beneath the siding) is typically done using plywood or OSB, depending on lateral and wind requirements.

Sponsored