webuser_555135378

I need a vanity that is 69" long; not 48" 60" nor 84". What do I do?

HU-555135378
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

We are planning a bathroom remodel but I am stumped on what to do about our bathroom vanity. It is 69" which is an odd size. Am I going to have to have a custom vanity built to accommodate this?

The current vanity is 69" wide with a wall on both sides, so it can't be expanded to accommodate a 72" vanity, but I suppose I could get a 60" vanity and add a 9" pull-out, if they are available in that size. Your thoughts?

Comments (23)

• MongoCT
    3 months ago

If you can't find anything stock to suit your needs, then sure, a custom built as you like it, or semi-custom. Semi-custom might be a 60" with fillers on each side. Or 60" with a single pull out on one side. Sort of like this but obviously modified.

Hard to recommend a more specific solution without seeing a photo of your predicament.

Regardless, good luck!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 months ago

We need more info and a floor plan done on graph paper to scale posted her ein jpeg format in a comment DO NOT start another post. Pics of the space also in comments.

HU-555135378 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • HU-555135378
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks MongoCT. Does that mean I would have to buy a 60" vanity and a pull-out (like you've shown) that is unfinished so they would match? Or do vanity manufacturers also sell matching pull-outs?

• rwiegand
    3 months ago

Your choices are building one to fit or adding a filler. The filler can be either just extensions of the face frame or something like a cubby, cabinet, or couple of shelves that might be useful. I'd do either 4-1/2" fills on each side of a 60" cabinet or a 48" cabinet plus a 21" shelf or drawer unit if a custom size unit is impractical. You might need to go 48+18 to allow for fitting in the space. A 9" wide cabinet is less likely to be useful.

HU-555135378 thanked rwiegand
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 months ago

I used a local cabinet maker for my kitchen - he made about 1/3 of the cabinets to custom sizes to best utilize my space. One was a 9" pullout. He could do the same for a bath vanity, which is no different from a kitchen sink cabinet.

In fact many cabinet manufacturers do semi-custom which allows cabinets to be made in 1/4 inch increments. Take a look at some of those.

Also, you could probably buy a 36" sink cabinet then put a 15" drawers, cubbies, or doors cabinets on either side.

HU-555135378 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • RedRyder
    3 months ago

Price out a custom vanity. It’s probably not as ridiculously expensive as you’re thinking it is.

• bry911
    3 months ago

A 69” vanity is two 27” sink bases and a 15” drawer base. Plenty of cabinet makers have those two sizes available.

HU-555135378 thanked bry911
  • PRO
    Home Reborn
    3 months ago

I have used stock IKEA kitchen cabinets (cut down from 24" standard kitchen cabinet depth to around 21", the drawer mechanisms will still fit) to make semi custom vanities from time to time. I would suggest a 36" base flanked by two 30" with a 1 1/2" filler on either side. Here is a 90" unit (three 30" units) I did using IKEA kitchen cabinets:

Bathroom Reno with Statuario and Thasos Marble · More Info

Bathroom Reno with Statuario and Thasos Marble · More Info

HU-555135378 thanked Home Reborn
  • Kendrah
    3 months ago

What ever arrangement you choose, consider how the sink or sinks, mirror, and lighting will be centered.

• PRO
    Boss Design Center
    3 months ago

Hi!

Customizing your 69" bathroom vanity seems the most viable option, given the unique size. Consider consulting with a local cabinet maker or a custom furniture builder to create a tailored solution that perfectly fits your space. If you prefer a pre-made option, explore a 60" vanity and add a 9" pull-out organizer, ensuring the combined dimensions meet your requirements. Be sure to check with manufacturers or suppliers to confirm the availability of pull-outs in the specific size you need.

HU-555135378 thanked Boss Design Center
  • CeeWhy
    3 months ago

Google "69 inch vanity". There are some out there! We needed a particular size for an alcove and I found it just by Googling the size. It fit the space perfectly.

HU-555135378 thanked CeeWhy
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Please just get a cabinet built? It's a niche

You are between two walls. You will have some minimal filler no matter what! There is no contractor worth a damn who'd recommend you attempt to JAM a finished cabinet with a 15 inch drawers and two 27" sink bases, between two very UN forgiving walls as I guarantee you will not get it in there,.( Sorry Bry)

The custom variety, will allow a design that accounts for your current drains , and your own storage needs.

You will find any decent kitchen and bath venue can do it and not run into major issues with cobbled together results.

Otherwise? Buy the darn 60 and center it. Ask on the plumbing FIRST.: ) and know that to get any amount of decent storage in 60 inches? A single sink is far better.

HU-555135378 thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 months ago

You could do 2 24" cabinets with the space in between for a laundry hamper or even a small make up area and then do a counter to span the whole space I do that lots of times when money and space dictate .

HU-555135378 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    steveetheridge
    3 months ago

I agree with Bry911. You should be able to find a combination of stock cabinets plus fillers if necessary to come out with the length of cabinet that you need.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Bry911 math ? No, not in that space between two walls: ) A no go.

That said?

Two 24 inch sink bases,an 18 inch drawer base, and 1.5 filler each side.

THAT.......is CAN DO

OR...2 /27 inch sink base, and a 15 inch drawer base and 1.5 filler each side.

Or.....One 27 inch sink base flanked with 2 18 inch drawer bases and 3" filler each side

The point is a custom/ semi custom is better than ready to go.

• bry911
    3 months ago

There is no contractor worth a damn who'd recommend you attempt to JAM a finished cabinet with a 15 inch drawers and two 27" sink bases, between two very UN forgiving walls as I guarantee you will not get it in there

Seriously... The OP asked for a 69" vanity. If three cabinets adding to 69" will not fit then no other 69" vanity is going to fit.

Furthermore, they noted that they have a 69" vanity now... Do you think the walls were built around the vanity? If a 69" vanity currently fits, then it will fit again. People change sizes over time, but the good ole' inch stays the same year after year.

63", 69" and 75" are fairly common sizes for two sinks with a drawer stack in the middle, which have been made as separate cabinets for like 40 years now and still are.

Telling the OP to order something smaller because you don't know for sure that a 69" will fit, is just bad advice. Feel free to explain the concern with ordering a vanity to fit exactly between two walls and ask the OP to ensure the entire area is at least 69", there is actually a 50% probability that the walls are out the other way and 69" is the choke point.

You are just making up measurements you don't have...

ETA: I am not 100% this is still the same, but my 15 year old vanity cabinets still have it so...

Framed vanity cabinets always had a 3/8" overlap on the unfinished side. So the face frame is 27" but the box it frames is only 26.25" if both sides are unfinished. This was designed to give you wiggle room in tight spaces. Since frameless is so much more popular I am not sure all manufacturers still do that, but I suspect many do.

• Kate Cowers
    3 months ago

bry, get over yourself. People have given suggestions. This can go one of two ways: custom built to accommodate the space, or slightly smaller like 60" centered with space on either side. It's not the end of the world.

• cpartist
    3 months ago

Are you in an area with Amish Mennonite cabinet makers? If so check them out for custom as their prices are usually less.

• bry911
    3 months ago

Kate Cowersbite me… I mean seriously.

The OP asked for a 69” vanity and people here presume that a 69” vanity will not fit. Because they, having never been in the OP’s home, know the OP’s measurements.

Even a handyman can make a vanity cabinet fit. Drywall gets removed all the time to get cabinets and counters in. Any competent installer has done it many times. As long as the front is actually 69” it isn’t a problem.

ETA: There are a bunch of people White Knighting here who have never actually installed a cabinet. If you have 69” in the front (make sure there is 69” at the bottom also), any competent installer will get it in fine.

• HU-555135378
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Wow... I sure appreciate all the advice and have made notes that will surely help me when we start talking with our contractor. Thank you all for your differing opinions. These will help me when we begin this remodeling process.

• MongoCT
    3 months ago

"Does that mean I would have to buy a 60" vanity and a pull-out (like you've shown) that is unfinished so they would match? Or do vanity manufacturers also sell matching pull-outs?"

Best way to answer is "it depends".

That written, if paint-grade, it'd be fairly easy for a cabinetmaker to duplicate the style and scale of the vanity when designing and building the add-on, and new paint would blend it all together.

If stain grade, you'd want to match not just the grain of the wood but the color and sheen of the finish. That'd be a bit more involved, but a good finisher can do wonders with the various colorants out there.

• Kate Cowers
    3 months ago

bry911: bite me back.

Sponsored