karla_cressman

Design for Gender Neutral Nursery

karla_cressman
2 months ago

I need design help for our nursery- baby due May 2024!

We are going for a greenery/jungle theme with pops of animal. It’s a small space, and I would love to incorporate wall paper on the two walls on each side of the brick.

Attached are some photos of the space as well as a mockup I created.

I am looking for thoughts on the following:

1. is the wall paper too busy for such a small portion of the wall?

2. does the wooden crib, darker wood floor and. Current window shades make the room look too dark?

3. what color furniture should I have? I’ll need at least one dresser- do I stick with a wood tone (light or dark?) or something different?

Comments (12)

• Rho Dodendron
    2 months ago

Congrats on being a parent soon. Not something you asked about BUT don't put the crib close to those blinds with cords. Once Baby can stand in crib those cords can become wrapped around a neck eeeeeek!

• btydrvn
    2 months ago

First ..be sure every surface is spotlessly clean …then …Definitely get rid of the plants..avoid any contaminants in dirt ..insects,etc….paint the brick for same reason ..all surfaces should be washable and non abrasive…a nice clean rug covering the whole floor for crawling and playing comfort…also darkening shades for daytime naps..usually more than one comfy chair ..preferably rockers..with side tables…for rocking the baby to sleep before putting in crib…extra chairs for two or more people to be comfortable while visiting the newborn..add good screens for days when window(s) can be opened for fresh air..also look for chairs that are easy to move close to the window for baby to enjoy the light and fresh air while being held when it gets a little older

• btydrvn
    2 months ago

The wall paper you show could be visually stimulating as well as soft colors on the wall…a good thing …for a baby developing it’s new senses

• btydrvn
    2 months ago

Maybe even soft music?

• btydrvn
    2 months ago

My only concern with the existing shades..would be getting them completely clean

• stiley
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I think your design is really cute! I like the wallpaper. My favorite dresser is the one on the top. And both chairs look nice so I'd go with the most comfy, and be sure to get an ottoman. Maybe add a soft rug for tummy time, playing on the floor, or if you want to close your eyes for a minute. :) Both my kids really loved these paper mobiles above their cribs; they spin at the slightest breeze. Or here's one that goes with your theme. You might also want a table next to the chair and a bookshelf somewhere. Congratulations!

Edit: I missed the part that suggested you might be open to new shades. The dark ones may be a bit dated. And if you got new ones, you could get cordless. I've ordered lots of shades from Blinds.com. They have frequent sales. Definitely order samples first because some of them look totally different in real life.

• PRO
    The Blind Shop
    2 months ago

We would advise changing the blinds to something that is more blackout. When your baby sleeps in the day time (hopefully he/she will sleep well!) you'll want to create a blackout environment. For something simple, you could go for blackout roller blinds or if you are wanting to achieve a higher level of blackout then our blackout roller blinds with cassette & side tracks is a popular choice. For child safety, any cords or chains will need to be fitted with child safety devices which eliminate a free-hanging loop - these come free when you order blinds from us. You could also consider motorised blinds, which means you won't have any chains.

Good luck! It is a beautiful room and lovely to have 3 windows with double aspect!

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 months ago

I agree with the concerns and cautions above. I’d also consider the height of the dresser - I assume you’ll be putting a changing pad on top? I’m 5’3”, a grandma, and I have trouble reaching the changing pad while holding a wiggly baby. That dresser is a popular IKEA one. Just a thought. Anyway - Congratulations! Very exciting for you!

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 months ago

Oh, duh… I love your colors and choices. That will be a warm and inviting room for baby.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 months ago

stay at home dad back in the day.. my first had a room full of sunshine.. and i NEVER closed to blinds for her to sleep ... and she therefore learned to sleep anywhere.. not needing a darkened room for such... i once found her on the hillside on the slip and slide.. sleeping in the barely running hose at mid day... she was tired.. and the water was cool on a steamy hot MI afternoon ...

i once found the boy in march ... its cold in march in MI .. laying on the blacktop driveway ...sleeping.. because he said the blacktop was so warm on his toesies.. he just had to lay down for a few minutes.. i did not pick him up.. and run him into a darkened room for his afternoon nap ...

ergo... the window coverings are for night privacy.... and i would prefer a drape.. fwtw....

ken

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

So cute and congratulations on the baby!! Maybe read up on or watch some videos on baby proofing rooms. You’ll want a rug that lays very flat on the floor and is in no way a tripping hazard as you tip toe into the room in the dark while holding a sleeping baby, or to check on a sleeping baby.

• Jennz9b
    2 months ago

You need cordless blinds.

Sponsored