felfreckles

Split level Extension on a duplex?

Fel Freckles
last month

Hi everyone, would love some feedback on this idea before I start getting quotes.

I have three teenage kids and one 10 YO and need more space. We added a patio room to our three bedroom duplex years ago and converted the garage to a master bedroom, so we essentially have 5 bedrooms. (Three upstairs and a full bathroom) But we still only have 1 living room. We need spaaaaace.

As the kids are older now, we don’t really use the backyard much, so I’m thinking of extending, turning the courtyard into a proper bedroom and then having small set of stairs leading to our raised yard where we could have a large living space that could open up on either side if we were going to entertain.

Moving is not an option, the area has become so expensive, all the houses are little duplexes like ours and we are right next to the kids school. Would love to just try to make it work without having to remortgage too much.

I’ve included a photo of my idea, what do you guys think?
Downside is we will lose a lot of light, currently the light streams in from the backyard.

Comments (8)

• Kate
    last month

You will need a planning permit. Did u get planning permit to convert garage? If not that could create issues. Have you talked to council or a local planner. Can you share your floor plans and rear elevation.

• Fel Freckles
    Original Author
    last month

Hi, I don’t have any floor plans yet, just an idea and sussing out if anyone thinks of something better or cheaper.

This would still be less than 60% of built space on the land so I think it’s feasible.

We used a company to convert the garage who submitted all the appropriate planning requests etc. that was about 3 years ago now.

• Fel Freckles
    Original Author
    last month

Also the elevated backyard is 600mm off the courtyard/house level. Any suggestions much appreciated!

• Kate
    last month

Do you have existing house plans

• oklouise
    last month

whole house plans will make it easier for us to understand the existing house before we can make any suggestions.. try adding walls lengths to each room in your sketch (make a new sketch without all the extra writing) what is the distance from back of house to change in backyard levels?...does the backyard slope or are there steps connecting two flat areas of backyard and if so how many steps? what is the difference in height between the ground floor and the highest backyard height and how do the upstairs rooms relate to the different levels?...a Google earth view and photos would help

• bigreader
    last month

Being able to open the extension on both sides means that you’ll need to build bigger than you functionality need to allow for walking space. Given the age of the existing house and the different yard height a living room that is attached by a link and set to one side may work. But the plan people on here need more info.

• Kate
    last month

If you just want an entertainment room your kids are old enough for it to be a separate structure in the backyard. Move it back as far as possible. Avoiding touching current house will keep costs down. Allow for plumbing to be added for a small bathroom

• siriuskey
    last month

An old plan will do as we can see the new kitchen and laundry via your previous posts