liveez

Sunroom : Triple-glazed windows and dying of heat in summer!!!

liveez
9 years ago
I think the photo will speak for itself! South side is problem. In fact, that would be the only side to fix.

Thank you for possible solutions!
Cristina, St-Bruno, Quebec

Comments (14)

• liveez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm not sure I can visualize an awning that rolls down...here's another pic of the glass rooftop. Do you have any images of what you're proposing? Your input is much appreciated.
  • PRO
    Pleotint LLC
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    If you are looking to help control excess heat gain in your sun room you may want to consider Suntuitive self-tinting windows. Our windows are some of the most energy efficient on the market. They tint from the heat of the sun so they are tinted when you need them to be and are clear when you don't! Suntuitive helps preserve your view, blocks harmful UV rays and reduces excess heat gain. You can check us out at www.suntuitive.com
    liveez thanked Pleotint LLC
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    I like the idea for the self-tinting windows. That would be a great option to take in to consideration.
    liveez thanked SoCal Contractor
  • PRO
    Dawson & Clinton
    9 years ago
    We add self tinting windows in many of our projects. With skylights and hot California sun it's essential. An awning or other cove would work but I wouldn't want to ever obstruct the beautiful view.
    liveez thanked Dawson & Clinton
  • liveez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Question for Pleotint: Because we live on the mountainside, the low e triple-glazed windows that we had installed can withhold the weight of flying broken tree limbs in high winds (we had a tree fall onto our roof during an ice-storm). What would be the approximate cost of replacing the sloping west-facing roof plates only? (the ones you see on the picture). Could the Suntuitive be inserted between the existing glass plates?

Thank you!
  • PRO
    RWA Construction Services
    9 years ago
    I can't tell which supplier you have for the sunroom glass. Some of them have a glazing option that reflects the summer heat as well as using the additional insulated/low e/ argon sealed units. Check that the use of window tint film does not void your glazing warrentty.

I live in Ottawa and may be able to get a local supplier to help out/point you in a direction to help you
    liveez thanked RWA Construction Services
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    9 years ago
    I have used Vista Window tinting for clients in Florida & South Carolina...great products. Here is there website: http://www.vista-films.com/en/residential-heat-control-window-film.aspx
    liveez thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • liveez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I've had Vista on my windows in the rest of the house for 16 years now but I always have to pull down the blinds when the sun hits them directly.
  • PRO
    Pleotint LLC
    9 years ago
    LiveEZ - Thanks for your note and questions. These might be better answered by email. please send me a note gbrown@pleotint.com- For everyone else. Suntuitive glass is a safety glass rated and we will have hurricane ratings (120mph at end of August). Our glass is a laminated glass like your car windshield with a thick film interlayer that prevents it from shattering like a normal glass would (think of a broken windshield with the plastic film). Besides the fact that it is only tinted when you need it to be. In its clear state it will be brighter that the triple pane pictures you show. Check out our website as well and drop me a note if you have additional questions. Pictures are Suntuitive Glass VS clear glass partially tinted and fully tinted.
    liveez thanked Pleotint LLC
  • PRO
    SOLARIS
    9 years ago
    There will be window film options that will complement the performance of your triple pane windows at a fraction of the cost of replacing the glass. Your local Vista Dealer will be able to make recommendations for you to keep the heat out and keep your view. Visit www.vista-films.com
    liveez thanked SOLARIS
  • liveez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    First I would like to thank those of you who have kindly given your time and expertise towards solving my situation - it is much appreciated :)

was told that the Vista film inside would scorch due to the excessive heat, and that the film on the outside would have to be replaced every 2 years (scratches from fallen branches, etc.,) ....is that not correct?

Thank you!
  • PRO
    SOLARIS
    9 years ago
    I am not sure what they meant by "scorch" the film. Depending upon your windows there may be limited options for an interior application with triple pane. Knowing the exact glass type will allow me to make a recommendation. You mention triple pane, are they laminated as well? Tempered glass?

There are exterior grade films with 10 year warranties. Low quality films and non-exterior grade films installed on the outside will not last long.

I am confident that there is an effective, affordable option that will meet your needs with window film. Happy to help if I can.
    liveez thanked SOLARIS
  • liveez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I cannot find my sunroom file; I will ask the manufacturer for the glass information, if still available and get back to you. Thank you!