justin_carter9342920

Best method to stop polished concrete from cracking on floors ?

Justin Carter
9 years ago
Hello!
Im in the midst of a three bedroom project in Bali, I am considering going with polished concrete floors, making the concrete tiles 100cm x 100cm. I see alot of cracked concrete flooring and i have been told, there is no escaping cracking concrete floors even if each tile is separated using an aluminium divider

I m seeking advice from any professionals or anybody with experience in polished concrete floors that could advise the best method to construct / avoid or reduce the cracking.

Thank Justin

Comments (20)

• PRO
    DE atelier Architects
    9 years ago
    Hi Justin, when we design the polished concrete floors, the engineer increases the amount of reinforcing in the slab to reduce the extent of concrete cracking. That being said you can still get hairline cracking in the slab but not as large as show in this image.
    Justin Carter thanked DE atelier Architects
  • Justin Carter
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you :) very fast response I will take this into account and use this information where i can. is there any recommendation as to the thickness of the concrete slab and how many layers of mesh / wire that should be added for the thickness ?
  • thadcopeland
    9 years ago
    I agree with wagon nothing can stop a crack in the concrete that is why they put lines on the top of it so the cracks with crack in the lines so do a funky design or something just a thought
  • Justin Carter
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you lagwagonshow :) One of those situations here in indonesia, engineers are hit and miss and you will hear many different stories. Guess this is just the challenges faced when you embark on a project in areas like this... Living and learning! I guess using sacking and keeping it wet / damp after its starts to harden may minimalise the cracking effect ?
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Hi Justin,

You do have other options - in particular concrete look porcelain tiles. I recently explained the benefits of porcelain tiles over concrete, I will attach a link to the write up to give you some idea. https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/concrete-style-understand-your-options-dsvw-vd~1161877

It is also amazing how 'concrete' the newest designs are, I will attach images of some of our concrete style tiles for your reference as well...

Obviously, the readiness of concrete in Bali is pretty persuasive when it comes to the availability of a suitable product, but neglecting the probability that your concrete will crack might lead to extra costs and problems down the way.

Wish I could see the project, a trip to Bali would be amazing!

Best of luck.
    Justin Carter thanked User
  • Justin Carter
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you! its all becoming alot clearer and I am very impressed with the feedback i am getting from everybody! Quality ! Thank you. This tile solution looks great! well done. I have a 75 Metre living area to tile / concrete with a sunken in lounge and a pooll that comes inside so lets see what I can come up with effectively over the next 8 weeks. Doing this on a tight budget so im looking for effective solutions that will give bang for buck. I will post some photos... Thanks so much for your help
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Some of the architecture in Indonesia is amazing! I guess that would be due to the lax building regulations. Can't wait to see the photo's!
  • PRO
    DE atelier Architects
    9 years ago
    Attached a couple of pics of concrete floors we have done. You should except some hairline cracking and setting out control joints would help control it as mentioned above. I don't mind some fine cracking as can add character to the place too. Depends what you are after. Good luck and look forward to some pictures.
  • Justin Carter
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks again, what a great finish here... here is my initial concept, land is 400m2 and in a "L" shape, not shown here is the master and en suite... will post photos soon... certainly lax about laws, safety etc...
  • PRO
    DE atelier Architects
    9 years ago
    Looks great Justin. Are building to rent out or to enjoy yourself?
  • nessycol
    9 years ago
    Justin - hi, am extremely jealous. love asian concept of pool so very close to your indoor living - provides such a wonderful feeling. have bought a plot of land out camden way, having a hell of a time trying to implement my dreams into a reality & will probably have to settle for a project home... i can't wait to see the photos of your finished home - so please keep up the photos thanks!
  • Justin Carter
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks DEatelier, purely a project / stepping stone so once finished its on the market! One day I will get time to enjoy a finished project!
  • Justin Carter
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hello people, Question time again. Im trying to match indoor and outdoor colour to my project around the living and pool area. I have 10 Meters of space to work with which includes 5 meters width of the living area. If i break the colours indoor v's outdoor it will make my area look smaller, more confined ? If i use polished concrete inside and try and match the colour outside, the surface will get hot.

Soooooo... I have added some photos here. I went and purchased a box of man made granit tiles 80x 80cm. Keeping the shiny for the inside and tried "honing" the surface of the other tile as a test so i could use it outside and keeping the surface of the 'honed tile" slightly textured to ensure not so slippery and matching the inside colour. After coating this honed tile it has gone slightly darker which is ok. What im wanting to know, is this ok to do ? will there be any down the line effects of the tile if its outside in a wet area ? it maybe only wet for 3 months of the year for a few hours at a time. My challenge here is price V's product / Styling / practacality

-Timber is too expensive for outdoor application / requires maintenance
    -Marble expensive
    -Natural stone expensive also

if anyone has any solutions / kmowledge / advice it its ok to hone an indoor tile and add a protective coating for the outside. this would be much appreciated.

Thanks Houzz'ers!

Justin :)
  • Justin Carter
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    left side is the tile shiny surface, right side is the honed tile, slight variation in colour
  • Michael Johnsey
    8 years ago

Hi Justin

See this is a while ago and wondering how you got on with the flooring project. I am too considering a polished concrete floor, also in Bali, so would help to get some feedback.

Thanks

• PRO
    Djuna Bewley
    8 years ago

I, too, and looking into polished concrete in Bali! Any updates??

• Ted Hoek
    7 years ago
    me too
  • Sally Robinson
    7 years ago
    Me too! Anyone know where I might locate the tile option in Bali?
  • agung_budiraharsa
    6 years ago

Hi everyone, Only for your information, if you need kind of cement polished tile or granite tile, I have some variant product for your option for concrete polished floor finishing. The price also friendly. Located in Ubud Bali. Attached the sample type photos for your reference. The size variated 90x90, 60x120, 60x60...if you need some others model & sample please message me by Whatsapp or call me at +6281338330888 or send me email on agung.budiraharsa@gmail.com Happy to have feedback from you. Thanks.