ctroxell

Oddly patterned flooring inlays

ctroxell
9 years ago
Previous homeowner put these unique floors in, the dark portions are inlays, so refinishing is not an option, as the circular cut will still show. Solutions? Should we paint over the whole thing? We like the darker color but not the pattern and how it creates an unbalanced space.

Comments (27)

• Carol Singletary
    9 years ago
    Interesting. I am commenting just to bump this up, and to follow once you get suggestions. My only thought is an overall stain would still show the patterns, so paint my be your only option. Short of starting over entirely.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I would consider staining the light floor to a medium stain, not as dark as the only, but enough to tone down the difference. I think it is a cool floor! But if you don't, I think your only option is to replace the whole thing.
  • User
    9 years ago

Why do folks do this crazy stuff with something as expensive as flooring? Painting over floors, especially in a high traffic area, is going to be disappointing. Depending upon the material of the flooring, you might be able to sand and refinish the lighter color to a darker color to match the circles, although as you say, the pattern would still be there, but won't be nearly as noticeable. If it is laminate, refinishing may not work, depending upon the thickness of the wood veneer. Covering over the floor may be your only option, because even if you try to weave in the lighter or darker color with some new flooring to remove the circle pattern, the results may still be troubling.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think stained one color, you'd see the outlines of the pattern but it would not be overly noticeable. I would assume you are also going to use some rugs and runners and have furniture. The only option to eliminate it completely is to replace the floors.

• cllic747
    9 years ago

can you work with dark circles and place a round area rug in the circle closest to the door and possible put a round pedestal table in the further one (with a tall floral arrangement in the center?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    9 years ago

I would put down a beautifully designed rug by CFA Voysey and ignore the wood floor. If anyone asks about the wood, tell them "its to make little boys ask questions" and give them another drink.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think feathering in new flooring in selected areas, if matching flooring could be found, would be more expensive than taking it all out and putting down new floors. It's kind of like when you get to a certain point it makes sense to gut renovated certain rooms or houses once the work reaches a certain extent. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it would go in my area.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    9 years ago

I would also be more concerned about the blue door.

• User
    9 years ago
    Yeah. My best wishes are with you...
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    9 years ago

Maybe if you added more circle it could become self explanatory.

• everdebz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If the circles blend somewhat with the style of the house, work with it?

shawnee · More Info

Contemporary Dining Room · More Info

• User
    9 years ago

You were optimistic when you bought that house. Good luck.

• PRO
    Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
    9 years ago

Wow, that's a really hard but, interesting design challenge. Its unfortunate but, not impossible to work with. Is it limiting? In a way yes. I think you need to reconcile yourself to the fact that for it to be a pleasing space and feel good, that you will need to go along with the "modern vibe" already set up by the floor design.

I think a good designer can make it all make sense. So, thank you for posting your dilemma. You are a good sport as it seems I am not the only one enjoying myself at your expense! :) In return I extend this design approach for you to consider and use as your "interiors north star".

• brecarroll
    9 years ago

I liked the comment on feathering into the existing floor that's not round. Other than that if you keep them you need to play up the round shape and repeat it in furnishings.

• PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 years ago

Work with it by creating a rounded sitting area...

Living Room · More Info

• ctroxell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We like the suggestion of rugs, replacing all flooring and the snark along with drinks. And those doors- much easier solution!! Thanks for the laughs, everyone!
  • everdebz
    9 years ago

I have some time, so allow me to browse with you - I see simple organic shapes, and distressed modern finishes for example:

Renwil Metallic Forest Square Framed Large Alternative Wall Decor · More Info

• everdebz
    9 years ago

Use texture in end tables, etc...Your floor practically has silhouetted circles [not really a pattern as how many are there - 3??] - so the horses are in silhouette [sort of]:

Uttermost Golden Horses Framed Art, Set of 2 · More Info
    Round End Table With Glass Top · More Info

• everdebz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

something whimsical, if you'd like the nature route/ or should I say try a very few pieces, loved for its uniqueness, to stand out.

Uttermost Regal Rabbits Framed Art · More Info

• everdebz
    9 years ago

Repeat something[s] about the flooring [I'm not expert, but trying to help]:

the whimsy/modern nature of the design;

the shape [of circles more or less precisely];

the distressed sort of wood tones - are they chalky?

Uttermost World of Color Modern Art · More Info

• everdebz
    9 years ago

He/she is sort of the floor's neutrals:

Framed Art Print 'Dark Eyes' by Lisa Dearing, Outer Size 42"x30" · More Info
    Prince AHA Stool, Matte Light Orange · More Info

• ctroxell
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you for the ideas! Still drinking. The real issue is I don't care for maple at all, I've resolved to removing them. Our style is too far removed from anything workable, despite all the wonderful ideas.
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

"why do people do things like this?"

because they are home OWNERS not renters.

• User
    8 years ago

Camouflage with large area rugs until you are ready to sand and refinish so that the wood matches or embrace this very modern and unique design.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Email came through so I'll say that if you like art-gallery modern, which showcases a few unique pieces, it could work imo....