dncarson

Ideas???Convert closet sliding door to toddler nook & closet storage?

Daria C
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We just bought a old condo and my daughter's room has a very large closet on one whole side of an entire wall. It is composed of three sliding closet doors. Am brainstorming ideas to convert the closet space to a tent/nook area as well as traditional closet storage. Am thinking of taking out the sliding doors in favor of traditional hinge doors but do not want to block the entry way door. Our daughter is two and would delight in a small play area, which perhaps we can convert to a desk/study area in the future. The dimensions are 105 inches width and 38 inches deep. So, about 9 feet of closet space across. Welcome any images and ideas! Looking to blend a small nook/tent area with closet storage.

Comments (10)

• Diane Land
    8 years ago

I think this is a great idea. Perhaps keep two sliding doors and make that the closet space and then wall off the inside closet to make a nook . You could either store the 3rd door for later conversion back or you could put bifold doors on the whole closet. I'd suggest barn doors but I think she is too small for such heavy , sliding doors.

Daria C thanked Diane Land
  • PRO
    Wendy Scott Closet Design
    8 years ago

Why not consider working backwards? Start with the ending concept and see how you can transform it into the play area with adding fabric to create a tent etc?

Based on your opening size, the triple track doors you currently have may be your best bet. If you add swing outs doors you will need to add a wall and break up the opening.

Daria C thanked Wendy Scott Closet Design
  • Daria C
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the bunk bed idea. I'd be nervous about resale if we configure the closet to a bunk bed. It is cute. Perhaps, just removing the closet sliding doors and fitting in a premade bunk bed may be better and less of an investment than doing a built in.

• Daria C
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I found this image, which would require building a wall and dividing the closet into two areas. I like it but still not sure about committing to it.

• auntthelma
    8 years ago

I love the idea. A reading nook or play house in a kid's room is a dream come true.

Daria C thanked auntthelma
  • acm
    8 years ago

I love that! You could hang a little curtain across it so she can really cuddle in/hide out when desired. And/or paint the walls a colorful hue. Anyway, later this might make a better linen closet or other cupboard space rather than have such a wide closet. Triple bypass doors are hard to use.

Daria C thanked acm
  • Daria C
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks! I really like the reading nook idea too. I think I can get a battery operated little lamp and not worry about wiring as well into the closet. The sliding doors haven't been that great for our little one as she can't really open them and they aren't that sturdy. I'm ready to re-do the closet.

• PRO
    Urban Bond Creative
    8 years ago

hello;

i would suggest a special play area with curtains, like a theater or a castle or whatever kids imagine, in the opening which is shortened on both sides for storage area (can be accessed from within the play area or from the room); sketch below.

the back wall can have chalk wall or a photo wall covering.... very cute

• suezbell
    8 years ago

Beware of built ins for the closet sized for a toddler that, inevitably, will need to be ripped out. It would not be long before that top bunk bumps a precious head.

With that wide closet, my inclination would be to create three distinctly different and separate spaces.

In the center consider creating a built in with shelves with doors above and with deep drawers suitable for blankets or toys below, then adding matching doors on both sides of it. Buying in-stock sized doors could decrease your cost and the remaining space between those two separate closets would determine the width of the built in you put in the middle. Bi-fold doors will take up less space to open and when they are open and be less likely to interfere with the entry door.

On one side of the built in you could add two clothes rods -- upper for dressier clothes and a lower rod so your toddler will be able to reach her own play clothes as she begins to dress herself. You could reserve the other side of the built in for items that are not clothes -- toys and activities stuff.

Adding a matching pair of bi-fold doors on both sides of the built in would be my personal preference since it will create a classic look that will suit either a toddler or a teen. Add shelves to one of the two side closets, with enough space below the bottom shelf for a wheeled toy box. This is a space which could become a place for a college bound student's foot locker or a young woman's hope chest. Adding wheels on the toy chest would enable it to be rolled out into the room and serve as either a table or seat.

If you use two standard doors, the inside of the doors could be painted to be chalk board and on the other side you could a metal board for magnetic numbers and letters now and, perhaps, a cork board later; alternately, if you opt for the bi-fold doors, this metal panel and/or chalk board wall could be done on the closet wall and made accessible when the toy box is wheeled out.

The built in could be on the part of the closet closest to the entry door and there would be no door to interfere with the entry door, leaving you with a more standard sized clothes closet.

If you just mainly want to replace the doors, in lieu of bi-fold (solid or louvered) you could use drapes with tie backs or even use vertical blinds - wood or vinyl doors.

If you're wanting to create a unique space for your child's activities, you could use the door(s) as an opportunity for storage, too. Depending upon the depth of the closet, such a door could be used for the clothes hanging closet, too. The door could contain shelves (facing in or out)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/b6/2d/9a/b62d9adb02331da7309b8b243ac3dae2.jpg

Children grow really fast. If you're wanting a guest bed, consider opting for keeping an air mattress handy (or pair). For smaller children, a cloth covered lake float could work, take up less room and cost less.

Putting two mattresses on the twin bed frame (rather than a mattress and box spring) could also work if the bed frame could be stood on its side against the wall and both mattresses placed on the floor for a slumber party.

A twin trundle bed could provide a spare bed and leave more room than a full sized bed.

You might also consider a murphy bed if you want both floor space for children to play as well as a spare bed.

Do seriously consider bean bag chairs for your toddler's room. They usually become a favorite place for small children to sit, play and nap -- but do choose one with a sturdy zippered cloth cover because I've yet to see a small child that could resist a flop landing on one and you really don't want the Styrofoam beans to be set free and become either a choking hazard or a mess needing to be cleaned up .