woopsicle

Renovated Kitchen in 1980's Perth House

L
8 years ago

Quite an extensive renovation, mostly DIY except for the usual (sparky, plumbing). We took some space from the adjoining formal dining room to create a butlers pantry/scullery. All cabinetry is from Ikea.

Hope you like! I am sure glad it is over.

Comments (33)

• K T
    8 years ago
    It looks great. Are the cabinet doors from ikea too? Which ones are they?
  • L
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    yeah all ikea, ringhult gloss white on top and ringhult gloss grey on the bottom.
  • cloudpants
    8 years ago
    Beautiful transformation.
  • clikmania
    8 years ago
    Looks fantastic!! Wish I could make the photos bigger!!
  • LouieT
    8 years ago

Well done to you & your diy skills!

It is an amazing transformation to be proud of ;))

• PRO
    Schweigen Home Appliances
    8 years ago

Which appliances did you install?

• L
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    hi,

it is IKEA ovens and mwave and induction, Samsung fridge, f&p dishwasher and ilve range.

the IKEA stuff is underrated in my opinion. for example, underneath it is an electrolux cooktop retailing for $1900 in shops with 2 year warranty. At IKEA the same cooktop is $995 with 5 year warranty.

having said that i would have liked to get some high end stuff but budget would not allow.

seems to all be working well for us though.
  • j450n74y
    8 years ago
    very nice!/
  • wuff
    8 years ago
    Really fantastic transformation....looks very high end. Good job
  • Paula
    8 years ago
    This looks great !
  • how2girl
    8 years ago
    Nicely done.
  • PRO
    Renovating Made Easy
    8 years ago

It looks fantastic! You must be rapt. What a difference.

• Shari
    8 years ago
    Amazing transformation! I love so many aspects but what stands out to me is the lighting. We are going to reno our kitchen and use ikea as well so this is wonderful to see this final product.
  • PRO
    Leela
    8 years ago

Wowzas! So beautiful!

• Tracey Mullen
    8 years ago
    Brilliant transformation.
  • Elyse
    8 years ago

congrats, really great job. I like how much space is created by not having that odd U shape bench and just having the island instead. Amazing what you can achieve being creative! How big is the butlers pantry?

• L
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    thanks very much, the butlers pantry area is 2.7m by 1.6m. the fridge kind of straddles the main kitchen area and butlers pantry which has worked well for us so far.

only thing we are finding is that if the dishwasher were in the butlers pantry, we would be more inclined to use the butlers pantry sink more. so far we end up using the main sink the most.
  • Debbie Fisher
    8 years ago

Well done looks great, what a big job to have behind you. I know what living in chaos is like and the work appears to go on forever, but the reward is worth it and the other stuff will become a memory. Enjoy

• astrogirl
    8 years ago
    Wow what an amazing job! I like seeing so many photos, it really illustrates the change.
    I love the under bench lighting on the island, small detail that makes a big impact
  • User
    8 years ago
    Looks amazing! Love the lighting
    We are in the process of ordering our Ikea right now :)
  • User
    8 years ago

Sounds like a pizza. Hold the anchovies!

• Gioenne Rapisarda
    7 years ago

Hi woopsicle! I just sent you an email!

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Wow! You have done an amazing job. You should be very proud of yourselves. I certainly would if I was you!

• PRO
    Amerex Renovations
    7 years ago

Great job - the lighting under the overhead cupboards looks fantastic and really sets it off.

• PRO
    Katrina Okoronkwo
    7 years ago

Amazing result! Absolutely love your choice of materials & lighting, congrats on a fantastic renovation.

• Jack Jones
    7 years ago

Hi there. Brilliant result and transformation. May I ask what your budget was and what did the project eventually come in at?

Thanks in advance.

J

• L
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    hi jack we didn't really have a strict budget. I guess I though that it would end up being about 30k as it is 1.5 kitchens. in the end it was 40k including appliances.

some of the big things from that figure are:

benchtops $5500
    Splashback $1500
    ikea cabinetry $10,000
    lighting $1000
    appliances $9000
    labour (stuff we couldn't DIY and payment for family who helped) $7500
  • lesley
    6 years ago

Looks fantastic!

• Nicole Baker
    6 years ago

How do the cabinets look now? Still in as good condition?

• L
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Nicole, Yes they look fine, very happy with the ikea quality. Some toddler handprints, but nothing that cannot be wiped off !

• Nicole Baker
    6 years ago

That's good to hear.

I've been wary about using off the shelf flat pack kitchens after reading that the quality wasn't as good as a custom cabinet maker.

• L
    Original Author
    6 years ago

i guess the great thing about the ikea system is the doors of the metod system are going to be around for a long time (at least another 20 years if the warranty is anything to go by, and how long the previous faktum system was around). so super easy to replace if anything was to happen to one of the doors.

the carcasse quality may well be better from a custom cabinet maker, yes, i agree. the ikeas dont have solid backs (i dont think so anyway, i can barely remember). but personally, the ikea stuff seems fine, when i open a cupboard stuff all looks the same to me, as long as my shelfs havent collapsed i am happy. and the backs are up against the wall so I dont see much downside. its strong enough to hold up my stone bench top.. so i dont see how it could be seen as flimsy.