kerryosullivan69

Bougainvillea

kerryosullivan69
7 years ago
How do you train a bougainvillea up a post or wall?
Houston Rustic · More Info

Comments (5)

• PRO
    McDugald-Steele
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Various methods exist to do this but one option to creating a similar organic appearance you can use stainless steel eye-bolts in key areas where support is needed and use plant tie backs to fasten the trunk to the eye-bolt.

• Gallifrey
    7 years ago
    I live in Brisbane, and have had this plant in the ground at a few properties. Unless you are a disciplined gardener, I would never plant in a garden. Gets out of control, dangerous spines and very difficult to dig out or kill. I would only ever have one in s pot.

Lovely flowers, but in my opinion a pest.
  • tqtqtbw
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi McDugald-Steele. Love your work and seeing your trucks around Houston makes me smile! A question on training the bougainvillea -I have some growing well at the corners of an arbor over my deck. Do you suggest thinning down like this one and letting some branches grow super long? I've been tying the full plant to the posts. Thank you.

• PRO
    McDugald-Steele
    7 years ago

Without viewing your particular situation, it is highly likely that a reduction in the number of canes would be desirable. It can often produce multiple shrub like branches that when removed will focus energy on the growth where its desired(at the ends of the canes to increase its height). Watch for pesky thorns.

• tqtqtbw
    7 years ago

Thank you. I'll give it a try once the rain stops.