tom_kleven

Media/Theater Dimmer

Tom Kleven
11 years ago
Been frustrated by the dimmers in our media room. I have installed motorized shutters and indirect lighting on side walls but always seem to want to adjust the brightness of the lights...which necessitates a walk to wall in front of the family, then back again.

And when I think I've nailed it, one of the kids will move it the next day anyway!

So far the only solution ice found is this product "Ube" which is still in funding stage. It actually does more than I want and will let me do everything via my ipad or phone which is cool.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/702772580/ube-wifi-connected-smart-light-dimmer

Anyone have other thoughts?

Comments (4)

• PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    Interesting because I think I came across a similar product last October being promoted in Lowes... cannot remember the name but they are established and selling.
    https://www.meethue.com/en-US - Philips - possibly you can program scenario 1 and scenario 2 (a light scheme for you; and a light scheme for the kids)
  • PRO
    Harbert Home Systems
    11 years ago
    Hi Tom, Believe it or not, there is an entire industry dedicated to your issue, Lighting Control! There are a couple entry-level products that I would recommend from Lutron; Spacer or Maestro IR. These are one room, or one light solutions that come with their own remote that can accomodate 4-5 preset lighting levels, or "scenes". If you think your lighting control system may expand to other lights or rooms of your home, I would take a look at Lutron Radio Ra2 or Universal Remote Control. These are both great solutions for "whole house" lighting control. Contact us anytime with questions about Lighting Control at www.HarbertHomeSystems.com and best of luck on your quest for the perfect "scene".
    Doug Harbert (owner)
    Harbert Home Systems
  • PRO
    1 Sound Choice
    11 years ago
    I would take a look at Control4 it is a Home Automation system that can control your TV to your Lights and everything in between. It is a retrofit design so its easy to replace light switches you can start with one and add on when ever you would like.
  • Jeff S
    11 years ago
    In my theater, I use the Lutron GRAFIK Eye GRX-3104 (for 4 zones of lights in the same room). Control is by button at the GRIFIK Eye unit, remotely installed switches that can be put anywhere, or by infrared. In my case, my theater remote also controls my lighting by infrared. 4 "scenes" may be recalled by button at the main switch. However, using my theater remote, I can store / recall many many "scenes"...not sure if there is a limit, but I have stored at least 8 separate "scenes".

As others have mentioned, there is a whole industry for this technology. My solution was probably really "cool" about 10 years ago, but now, whole house integration options not relying on IR exist that are definitely worth a look.