How can I jazz up this boring corridor?

Comments (53)

• PRO
    Purcell Quality, Inc.
    11 years ago
    A gallery wall would be great!
  • Jordan Fagundes
    11 years ago
    If possible, I would try to implement more skylights. I was thinking of sconces previously but felt that they would be an abstraction to the corridor. I believe the addition of more skylights would create a grander space since the beautiful daylight would reflect off of the white walls. If this cannot be done, then I would suggest some sort of faux wooden rafters to be installed that would house some recessed lighting.
  • PRO
    nFORMAL design
    11 years ago
    More skylights would definitely make the space more dramatic...if you can do it. Also, there are a myriad of functional changes. If you have interior walls that you can change without electrical/plumbing being moved, you can create built-in niches for all those things that people were mentioning before. I think this would be a perfect candidate for a eye-level "ribbon" niche that goes all the way down the hall. Make it tall enough for small books, etc.
  • bdarrow
    11 years ago
    I like the idea of an oriental runner with a good gripper pad underneath going down the hallway.. I also think an artistic mobile hanging from the bottom of the skylight would be fun. Is the living room opening to the left? Opposite that is the place for a little table and a nice mirror. Frame 3 medium sized prints( from a set) to put up at eye level this side of the light. Keep the white woodwork and maybe the white walls, too.
  • Linda Stewart_Ryder
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I agree with selecting paint you love to define the space. Make the hallway your photo gallery with groupings of black or white framed "Black and White" or " patina" personal photos. If you want an art project, purchase number of varied or same size canvases from the art store and paint varied colors on each for a focal work. Switch out the light on the wall with an artistic sconce. If this is an entry hall add a glass wall shelf supported by cornices(or is it capital's) to use for interesting decor pieces, use it as a place to set your house keys.
  • Brenda
    11 years ago
    I would like to see something like an antique or atistic quilt hung on the tall wall (with the light hitting it from the skylight). and maybe a very tiddy matched-frame photo wall above the heater. I love the floors and white walls -- kinda looks like a gallery space.
  • PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    11 years ago
    I would not do any huge artwork pieces, because there is not enough space to stand back and look at anything large. Large art needs space to breathe, and there isn't enough in this hall. I'd do a single row of 8x10 or even 14x16 pictures at eye level, gallery style along both sides of the hallway. Anything larger than 14x16 would be too large to take in the effect of the art.
  • maria raposo
    11 years ago
    Track. Lightning. And art work ( big pieces) or big pictures, like an art galerie. And a bench in natural material or my favorite cowhy
  • janmacaroni
    11 years ago
    Could hang a solar powered lantern in the skylight area. I just got one at Costco.
  • PRO
    Leya Matalas
    11 years ago
    Depending on what is on the other side of the wall. If there is light that floods the room behind it. You can have interior windows installed in the hall corridor wall that blocks the light. You can pick some old antique ones in a RE-Store.. frame them in the wall with sills. This solves a light issue with natural light where skylights or tunnel lights wont work. If you can open the wall to eliminate the corridor, even better,but not always an option.
    I think a very wide strip/ slab of nice polished wood or natural wood mounted at chair rail height where walls get wear running down the length of one wall.. would be an architectural feature. Natural art. On the opposite wall black and white photographs in a black frames in a lined neatly grouping of 4 large or 6 smaller with white mats.
    ANOTHER OPTION: Paint one wall a rich colour, Then add Large abstract art canvas that compliment each other - hang 2 or 3 depending how long the wall. You can paint these yourself.. with blocking colours- Google contemporary art and get some simple ideas. the other leave plain.
    MURAL. Companies also are making some striking quality wall murals, now and can replicate any photo or historical etching you submit.> Anything that reflects the feeling of the decor in the rest of the space.. If you select a photographe with depth. such as a walk in a forest for example- you will loose the corridor effect and it will take on the depth created by the wall photo.
  • Carolina
    11 years ago
    I would do the left wall in black & white horizontal stripes (paint or wallpaper horizontally pasted on the wall) and do an art wall on the right. And paint the door at the end black.

Silk Stripe Black & White Wallpaper · More Info

Hanging Picture · More Info
  • PRO
    Oriental Weavers
    11 years ago
    Try a full length runner! We offer custom sized rugs and runners with many patterns and colors to choose from. Check it out! http://www.owrugs.com/products-1/custom-sized-rugs.html
  • PRO
    MODE Painting
    11 years ago
    Gallery Style... well placed album covers, framed (Urban Outfitters has great frames for this purpose)... and if you dont have interesting albums - just check out your local thrift shop (Im always on the hunt for vintage movie soundtracks) GOOD LUCK!
  • PRO
    Leya Matalas
    11 years ago
    Heres how above could look~
  • shelleybowley
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Leya absolutely love the idea of a mural of trees together with the black rail along the corridor. Do you think I could do this on one wall and add family photos in black frames on the other or would this become too busy?
  • flipfloppy
    11 years ago
    A wooden radiator cover painted in a strong colour with mirror above it ...add a runner of similar colour
  • Susan Ghandehari
    11 years ago
    Think intimate art, something to look at closely. And color, pattern, texture. If this is upstairs, connecting bedrooms? If not all rooms need privacy, how about opening one up to the hallway, maybe an office or playroom with a half-wall? You haven't said anything about the use of the space--any children? I love the idea above about the ribbon niche!
  • PRO
    Photo Captures by Jeffery
    11 years ago
    Go with some nice artwork and/or photographs and some fun paints on the walls. Perhaps go half way up the wall with a nice paint color and save the upper half for the artwork and photography.
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    11 years ago
    I agree with Leya, large scale, not too busy patterns, in lighter colors, would help expand the space visually, as opposed to a number of smaller pieces... Raisa
  • PRO
    Stephanie Nickolson Design Inc.
    11 years ago
    Artwork spotlighted with lighting and interesting carpet runners for the floor. If budget allows, a neutral hemp or jute wall covering for the walls.
  • Linda Stewart_Ryder
    11 years ago
    Shelleybowley...the black trees are wall decals you can find them @ etsy.com other styles are available...
  • Ed
    11 years ago
    I don't think it's boring at all. I find it very clean and simple :)
    Larkin Street Residence - John Maniscalco Architecture · More Info
  • Marie-Josée
    11 years ago
    Painting all your doors a different color can add a bold statement to your corridor and bring it to life ! My sister in law did this and it is stunning !
  • Carolina
    11 years ago
    But then you'll need a cute little girl in a coordinating T-shirt and a black cat to tone things down again :-) I do love the idea though.
  • lwestlake
    11 years ago
    Start with painting the hall, the white is to bland. A pop of colour will make a HUGE difference alone. Whatever you do DON'T paint all the doors different colours. I like Carolin's picture wall, it is well laid out & I'm a huge fan of black or brown/black frames with black & white pictures. I wouldn't however, recommend going with the black & white striped wall. We did it in our daughter's room. It looked amazing but it does something to your eyes, very hard to look at after a while.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Large scale artwork. Nothing small. No gallery wall, IMHO
  • PRO
    Material Girl Slipcovers
    11 years ago
    Color, artwork, a nice runner or two, jazz up the plain walls with board and batten or bead board wainscot.
  • PRO
    Fresh Paint
    11 years ago
    Family photos in the same color frames are nice in hallways also tone on tone painted stripes work to add depth and interest. Mixing different paint sheen's in the same color is a good choice also
  • PRO
    Leya Matalas
    11 years ago
    You can, but if you want to add photos I like it simple- so limit it to one area of the wall and put them in a row/s. Same black frame.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    11 years ago
    I like the gallery wall idea with black frames and color on the opposite wall...maybe a fun runner too?
  • PRO
    L Star Murals
    10 years ago
    I think a mural of silhouetted trees would look fantastic and would not be too much across from a wall of thoughtfully placed family photos. The mural is definitely something we can do, if you are interested. :)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    HMA | RESIDENCES · More Info
  • PRO
    Perth Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    What about painting the doors black and add these small round rugs all the way down the corridor?
  • PRO
    Wallpapered
    10 years ago
    Love the idea of the tree murals! I would suggest placing it on the larger wall on the left so the trees look like they are growing upwards in the light from the window opposite. Hopefully that should add some space to the room and will make a great feature of the door. Also, add a few frosted glass wall lights along the same wall. You can buy lights that fit closer to the wall and wont take up valuable space. Hope this helps!
  • PRO
    Beverly Anderson Interior Design
    10 years ago
    I love the idea of the small, round rugs...great with sharp contrasting black and white.
  • palindrome388
    10 years ago
    I would do some kind of board and batten like this but make yours taller since you have higher ceiling http://www.younghouselove.com/2013/02/winter-pinterest-challenge-board-batten-baby/
  • Tanya Staats-Ponich
    10 years ago
    Black doors ?
  • hoffycom
    10 years ago
    We added some waistcoating and some wall paper.
  • PRO
    Light In Art
    10 years ago
    We make unique contemporary stained glass lightning and wall lightning. Very warm and original. Visit our website at www.lightinart.com to see some options.
  • Ashley Hill
    9 years ago
    i love black and white and have the kind of hall way as you but mine is much smaller not much light i have painted wallpapered everything and never kept any i am going to kep my walls white as with small children this is easy to keep fixing and im painting my doors black but to add a little vavavoom i want to add some kind of black and white wallpaper to them in a design and have mirrors up around the hallway i know what its loke in my head just hope it looks as good in my hallway i like to be different good luck x
    at the moment i have black at the bottom of the wall and white at the top and on the far wall a mural of skyscrapers which as i turn the corner it goes down the hallway to the kitchen, im always changing things
  • hayleysmith1977
    9 years ago
    Floor lights...
  • PRO
    Imperial Rugs
    9 years ago
    A long and narrow Persian handmade runner rug with mixed of natural dyed colours will for sure lift the ambiance of the area as well as its surroundings check below link for inspirations

http://www.imperialrugs.co.uk/antique-tribal-carpets/handmade-wool-persian-nasrabad-long-runner-449-93-1121.php
  • Jade Brindley
    9 years ago
    I would combine the three photos and maybe add a dado rail across the Middle, on the top half you could have a solid colour and in the bottom half you could have a funky wallpaper
  • Matthew Decorator
    9 years ago
    Bright colours with white woof work to break the colour up.
    I've completed a bright orange hallway before, wit white gloss doors and skirtings/architrave
    Incredibly brave but looked
    Amazing
  • Genevive Chenny
    9 years ago
    A wide spec rectangular mirror with silver frame as it's going to make the narrow corridor looks bigger and spacious. Also, choose a variety of framed photos and small size art pieces. Put the little art pieces all together randomly. Voila! There you're gonna get a fun and interesting corridor :)
  • PRO
    Furniture In Fashion
    9 years ago
    May be a Cesar Console table is a fabulous table for your hallway - from http://www.furnitureinfashion.net/cesar-glass-top-console-table-p-1813.html
  • PRO
    Manhattan Home Design
    9 years ago
    I think a side table or credenza would be a great addition to this space, perhaps with a mirror and table lamps (or sconces either side) here providing you with a little place to put keys, mail etc. Decorate this with a few choice photo frames adding a mirror above on the wall or a picture or two. A runner would also bring a bit of warmth to the floor, along with a coat hanger maybe by the door to place coats, scarves and other accessories for when coming to and from the home. I look forward to seeing where you go next with this, good luck :)
  • PRO
    Khan Art Studio
    8 years ago

Hello Shelley! I think that an abstract, or set of abstracts in little frames can always brighten up a small space! Abstracts help break up the dull lines of a corridor with splashes of colour. Would love to know your thoughts!