linzita512

Andersen vs Marvin: sliding doors

linzita512
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Trying to decide between Andersen A-series sliding French door vs Marvin Ultimate Sliding French door - opinions? I'm looking for visually the cleanest lines possible, least amount of gray metal/rubber and for that reason, think I love the Marvin (black clad)...but we will be using in conjunction with Andersen 100 series black windows. Hoping they will coordinate. They will not be on the same wall so not side by side.

I also saw that I think was a JeldWen W4500 and seemed to look nice - I welcome any opinions or pictures on that, their website is lacking.

Comments (20)

• linzita512
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much, that is a beautiful door! I'm really not sure which one I saw but may have to go back. Did you see before you purchased? I've had trouble finding showrooms.

• M E
    6 years ago

Yes. We are in Michigan and drove to lots of showrooms so we could actually view the windows. Very difficult to make that type of purchase without being able to see/touch it first. Did you try going to the JeldWen site and entering your zip code in the locate a dealer section? That's how we found a lot of sellers. Quite a few around here carried multiple brands which made it easier. Home Depot here does sell JeldWen. But I believe it is the lower level. Another tip is to pay the money up front to have your selection factory primed. Once the window is installed the painter can not prime the entire window. It will help protect the window from moisture.

• quasiexpert
    6 years ago

linzita512,

Is there a particular reason you're not doing the AW 100 Series gliding door, if you're using AW 100 Series windows?

• linzita512
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Our door will be 16' and the 100 series doesn't come that large.

• quasiexpert
    6 years ago

ok, that is true. What about the Andersen 200 Series Narroline Gliding Door in Black? It would be unfinished pine on the interior, but can easily be painted whatever you wish.

Depending on your local dealer's capabilities, you could also do a PermaShield door 16' in Black, even though I'm sure they'll tell you it can't be done. We did 4 of those for a pool house... ;)

• dinulhaq
    6 years ago

We are in a very similar predicatment. We will probably use Anderson 100 series windows, black interior and exterior. We have 4 panel doors (middle two will be operational) about 10' high. Did you find any resolution?

• PRO
    San Joaquin Glass
    6 years ago

Which ever series you decide to go with, double check to see how involved the process is should you experience glass breakage during the time you have them. Some manufacturers build the frames around the glass making it impossible to simply replace the glass panel. You would then have to buy a whole new sash with the glass and if you have a custom painted color you would need to have to take that into account as well.

• linzita512
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We went with a Marvin door (and Anderson 100 series Black windows) and although the build is still not complete and we’re not living there yet I love the both!!

• Jennifer Schulte
    6 years ago
    We are also strongly considering the Andersen 100 window vs Marvin Integrity. Also the French sliding doors.... I am lead to believe Andersen 100 is a lesser product - but hard to know given everyone buys such high end here. I value amazing doors - windows need to be reliable and good - but not where I want to spend the most money. Would love thoughts!
  • quasiexpert
    6 years ago

Jennifer Schulte,

The 100 is not the same as the 200 or 400, but it's not necessarily a bad product either. It is still better than vinyl gliders I've encountered so far. It's also about what you want. If you want a maintenance-free product with a wood core, the 200 PermaShield(available with the internal blinds) is your ticket. If you want a maintenance-free composite door, the 100 is for you. If you want a true "French Door" look, step up to the 400 Series.

If you're comparing to the Marvin Integrity, that is a good door as well. Looks nice, operates decent.

• dinulhaq
    6 years ago

How are Marvin’s sliding doors when installed? I visited a showroom here that carried them and the seemed a bit flimsy, especially the screen door...it was so light and felt very unsubstantial.

• linzita512
    Original Author
    6 years ago

dinulhaq We don't have a screen on our Marvin yet so I don't know about that but the door itself feels very substantial. I also thought it felt nice in the showroom though.

• Jennifer Schulte
    6 years ago

the Integrity slider in our showroom feels awful, but I'm sure it's also highly used. the Ultimate slider feels like buuuuutter on the other hand. so I had it quoted today. for $1k more I'd rather choose a butter slider.

• linzita512
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We went to an Anderson manufacturing plant where they had doors on display - although I love their windows we chose, I just wasn't blown away by the doors. At least in the style options we were searching for, or how they felt.

• Adrian Fish
    6 years ago

We used Marvin for windows and would never do business with them again. Horrible experience. We went through their authorized dealer, J.F. Johnson Lumber, located in Maryland. They told us they were Marvin experts and trained by Marvin in measuring their windows. They measured EVERY WINDOW WRONG AND THEN TRIED TO BLAME IT ON MY CONTRACTOR WHO NEVER MEASURED THE WINDOWS!!! My contractor has been in business for over 30 years and never treated so badly. J.F. Johnson Lumber was absolutely the worst company I have ever worked with.

• quasiexpert
    6 years ago

So...did you end up suing the lumberyard then, Adrian?

• Adrian Fish
    6 years ago

A work in progress

• quasiexpert
    6 years ago

Like I said on the other thread-if it is truly pending litigation, you would be wise to play it close to the vest, no?

• nackulous
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Andersen 100 slider is complete trash. I returned two of them bc of horrible craftsmanship. Have a look at these photos. I’m going Marvin Integrity.