adelelittle

Must rangehood be wider than cooktop?

Adele
6 years ago

I'm putting in a new kitchen. My gas cooktop, already purchased, is 100cm (39in). I really want to buy the Schweigen UM1170-9SP powerpack rangehood - silent operation, extra-powerful external motor etc. But it is only 90cm (36in) wide. Is it a mistake to buy a rangehood, even a very powerful one, if it's less wide than the cooktop?

Schweigen do a 120cm (47in) hood, but it has baffles instead of regular filters and it seems that Schweigen and other manufacturers acknowledge that while baffles look good, they are noisier and less efficient than regular filters.

I'm in New Zealand, so don't necessarily have access to other less-known brands.

thanks for any advice!

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Fusion Landscape Design Limited
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have just bought a schweigen with motor on the roof. The best information and help that I got was from the installers. Parex Industries are the NZ importers, but I must say the only help they gave me was the phone number of the installers. I just tried to find it for you but can't. They are brilliant to talk to and get advise from. I spoke to them before I purchased. The one thing that I realized is the installation is one of the major factors. Give Parex a ring and get installers number will be your best bet, all the retail outlets did was provide conflicting information.

Adele thanked Fusion Landscape Design Limited
  • Adele
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, I emailed Parex but didn't hear back yet. I'll take your tip and call them for details of an installer. thanks for taking the time to reply.

• PRO
    Fusion Landscape Design Limited
    6 years ago

I found Parex customer service seriously lacking. I felt as though I was a total inconvenience when I went up to their showroom after being advised to do so by one of their retailers.

• robandlyn
    6 years ago

I don't think it matters at all if the rangehood is slightly smaller than the cooktop if it is powerful. In your case it is only 10cm wider which means it would only be 5cm on each side - hardly noticeable, and the cooking elements aren't right up at the edges of the cooktop anyway.

• Adele
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks for that, robandlyn, I think you're right - and my kitchen cabinetmaker said the same thing. I'll go ahead with the 90cm Schweigen.