ssabb

Unexpected Kitchen Remodel - Design advice?

ssabb
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

A plumbing disaster has forced us into a remodel of our kitchen. We had some ideas for changing the layout, but have just been told our original wood floors are near the end of their life and therefore it would make the most sense to leave the layout as-is, rather than change it and necessitate a floor refinish. This is not our forever home - before this happened we were actually starting to dream about selling. But, now we'll be in here for another year or two, so we'd like to a) get some more functionality out of our kitchen that the original cabinets did not provide and b) make design decisions that get us the most value for our money when we do decide to sell.

As you can see, our house is in complete disorder/disrepair, (please don't judge, it's awful!) but we are working with a u-style kitchen. We also have this former dining room area that is now opened up to an actual dining room (currently filled with our stove and all the items from our kitchen cabinets) that I'm not sure we can make any use of. Currently our cat and bunny are making the most use out of that wall. What ideas/advice do you have? I don't know that I have a good design eye for a big project like this!

It's a 1950s home and you can see the painted wood paneling - we kind of have a light farmhouse vibe going on. Our style is a mix b/t comfortable farmhouse/stylish mid-century modern. But, obviously I want to make the kitchen pretty neutral for resale. I was thinking some simple white shaker cabinets with gray or black countertops with a white or gray backsplash. But, I'm also worried about creating something that looks too stark. I took this picture from the living room - our house is VERY open and you see the living room and kitchen right when you walk in the front door. Help me Houzz friends!

Comments (8)

Sponsored