cerileen

I see elegant, he sees stupid - tie breaker votes for our dining room

cerileen
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My husband and I don't see eye to eye on our 14x14 square dining room in our in-progress custom build traditional, hardie-board home. Where one sees elegant, the other sees 'stupid' (direct quote). Where one sees classic, the other sees gaudy. I beg you to vote &&&& comment on whether fad, on-trend or classic; gaudy, fancy, elegant or tastefully simple; etc. 1. Tray with double molding and 1/2 wainscotting

1. Coffered circle. No wainscoting.

2. No coffered, 3/4 Wainscotting

3. Subtle Tray

Comments (23)

• teamaltese
    6 years ago
    IMHO, the wainscoting AND double tray are overkill. One or the other would be beautiful. Both together are gaudy. I'd do a single, shallow tray, no wainscoting.
    cerileen thanked teamaltese
  • cerileen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh my gosh, thank you for the comments!!! Keep'em coming.

• cerileen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

it'sallart - would your opinion of the second option if the beadboard was subbed out for normal wall texture?

• PRO
    So Chic Home Design & Styling llc
    6 years ago

I'm not a fan of tray ceilings. Wainscoting can be divine in more (updated) traditional style homes. I can see how it could translate 'overkill' if both are installed in same area. Simplicity should be key here - either one or the other. That said, from all of these, I highly favor pic # 4 Transition style--subtle tray (no wainscoting). Still classic but could easily go with any style.

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    6 years ago

cerileen, YES in answer to your question.

• ecpt
    6 years ago

Of these, #4 (subtle tray) is best. But I think #2 (coffered no wainscot) could be okay as well.

• cerileen
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The house looks something like this rendering I it helps with context

I still don't want to how my hand
    So as not to bias anyone but this is very interesting outcome.

Though #1 is getting decent votes, commenters were strictly against it. Hmmm.

I will give a little more time and then state my preference.
  • User
    6 years ago

I feel as if the Transitional Style (#4) will feel dated ten years from now. It's simply too trendy. I don't want to be a grampa with a worn-out lime green Moroccan patterned rug in his den fifty years from now... :) But that's just me, maybe.

To be more serious, I definitely think you should match the style of the room to the style of the home for it to make sense, as others have pointed out. Though I really like the traditional feel of #3, having looked out your house's style I don't think it would fit really. Your house would be a good match for room #2, in my opinion. Stylish, but practical and timeless.

cerileen thanked User
  • templeofm
    6 years ago

My last home had what is essentially in picture 1. I hated it, it was overkill. Especially the double tray.

• Marco
    6 years ago

All the woodwork in the first three choices would be overwhelming in a 14 x 14 room. Also, consider that in a dining room, everyone faces inward, is focused on one another and your nice meal, and walls are mere backdrop. There is, of course, no need to replicate any one of the rooms you've shown; you can pick and choose. I'd go with the subtle tray in the fourth picture, and get the rest of my impact with furniture, wall color, and lighting... and distribute my budget elsewhere in the house, particularly in areas you anticipate using daily. Good luck with it. What an exhausting and thrilling experience to build your own house.

cerileen thanked Marco
  • cerileen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

#1 shows as intended; it is from the house from which we "borrowed" plans. #2 normal texture ceiling would sub out the beadboard and we could have ceiling and coffers in similar or the same color (white, cremes) for an overall more subtle effect #3 is intended to show taller but still simple wainscotting but we would have plain ceiling. #4 is as pictured but i think will be a problem because the whole house has Cove molding which probably won't agree with the shallow tray.

These comments are awesome! I can't wait to share them with my husband. At this point, I will say that one of us prefers option 1, one of us prefers option 2, and options 3 and 4 were hastily chosen as possibilities we could agree on though I worry about whether 4 is possible.

Thank you!!!

• chiflipper
    6 years ago

At 14x14 number 4 is my pick. That selection is easy to do...just build up layers of drywall...the corner bead on each layer will take some extra labor.

• lainie_josephson
    6 years ago

#3 is perfect to compliment the exterior architecture in my opinion. I picture #1 to go in a stately brick home with pillars, and the others seem much more contemporary. All are nice, but in their own ways.

• glschisler
    6 years ago
    I like no. 2 but not the wood on the ceiling. I also like no.4.
    cerileen thanked glschisler
  • cerileen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dear Houzzers,

Thank you so much for settling the score. The results were interesting and soooo helpful, perhaps because they went my way ;)

Mr's favorite was #1. I feel like it's too trendy.

My favorite was #2 but subbing the bead board for normal wall. I feel it will play up the square room (lean into it!) and that it's not particularly trendy or not trendy. He called this idea stupid. He could work on his delivery.

#3 and #4 were compromises that we both felt three quarters hearted about but could agree on. Actually, I really like #4 like you all voted, but I don't think our cove molding everywhere else would mesh with this low profile design.

So, #2 for the win! I hope I remember to circle back and post a picture for you all when it's up. My intentions are good, but we are months away!

I'll definitely be polling again! And, return the favor.

Grateful, Me!

• Margaret Schultz
    6 years ago

I think #2 without the wood is the right choice. You done good, cerileen :-)

One thing to be aware of with tall wainscoting is it really limits the artwork you can hang. Some people like that, some do not.

cerileen thanked Margaret Schultz
  • User
    6 years ago

I'm glad the polls went your way! I agree with your preference. Your husband may have used a poor choice of words, but hopefully you can find a little room for forgiveness for him. :) If it weren't for the chandelier, I don't think #1 would feel as gaudy. But I still think yours is better.

cerileen thanked User
  • cerileen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Macario - Very poor choice of words! I could have done a whole 'nother post on that! But, he was humble enough to concede :).

• Momof5x
    6 years ago

Both 2 and 4 are very nice but pick 4 as it is the best, I like the circle on the ceiling in 2 but not the surrounding wood on ceiling. Everything else is great.

No. 1: Too dark with dark grey paint on wall, and dark wood, plus, chandeliers are more of what I would see in a beautiful salon waiting room, or a dressing room even.

No. 3: Too much going on with wood and especially on ceiling.

cerileen thanked Momof5x
  • User
    6 years ago

I like the second and last picture.

my husband n I are pretty much the same as u guys, But if I really like something, then he has no say! Lol.

cerileen thanked User
  • cerileen
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Not yet finished but here’s how we are doing!
    TBD is color in the negative space around the ceiling detail but likely choosing the same as walls. “Winds Breath” Benjamin Moore.

Thanks all of your votes!
  • cawaps
    6 years ago

Sorry, I obviously didn't read the whole thread or look at the date. Below is what I wrote before I realized all the decisions had been made. Thanks for coming back and giving us an update!

----------------------

I may be biased, as I have a 1910 Classical Revival house with tall board-and-batten paneling in the DR with a coffered ceiling, in a room that is at most 15x15. The room also has a built-in hutch and an original fireplace with columns, a mirror, egg-and-dart trim, and a wreath applique. It's not too much. But it is very neoclassical. And it's entirely possible that your husband just finds that sort of traditional detailing to be a bit over-the-top. Honestly, in the abstract, I find it to be a bit over-the-top. But it's what the house is, and I've gotten used to it. It's nice to have a home with character rather than a drywall box.

I also have V-groove paneling to chair rail height in the bathroom and kitchen, and have a coved ceiling with a picture rail in the living room. Oh, and then there are the columns flanking the opening from the foyer to the living room. Yeah, I might be biased.

cerileen thanked cawaps