adelekocuk

Curtains and blinds

Adele
2 years ago
I have a dilemma...i have 3 windows (one is a window/door combination) in my kitchen meals area and i am looking at installing soft semi sheer linen curtains on one of the windows and door. The other window is too close to the oven so i thought a blind might need to go there instead. Is there a semi sheer fabric that resembles linen that can be used for both s-fold curtains and roller blind?...the one i had chosen was Allusion by Zepel but it cannot be stiffened to make a blind.

• PRO
    My Beautiful Abode
    2 years ago

You definitely can get the same fabric as a sheer curtain and as a blind. However when the fabric is "plasticised" to make it stiffened, it will look different to the original fabric (as it has a coating). Take a look at Wilson fabrics "Husk sheer" its is made both as a blind fabric and a sheer curtain fabric; it's polyester, but has a look of linen and the coating is very subtle http://www.wilsonfabrics.com.au/Sheers/Sheers/HUSK-II/19/279/ProductView.aspx

If you are in the Melbourne area, I'm happy to call out for a consultation (sorry for the blatant self promotion, but it had to be done!)

Best Answer
  • oklouise
    2 years ago

consider frosted window film for the window near the stove.it can be placed on the whole window or in stripes or sections to create privacy with light

• Adele
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    I don't have any privacy issues so i wanted a semi sheer so i can still see through to the view outside
  • annb1997
    2 years ago

Adele, this article might help steer you toward aluminium Venetian for the window near your oven.

http://www.zoneinteriors.com.au/diy-hub/choosing-the-right-blind-for-your-room

I'll keep looking for other alternative.

• PRO
    Urban Curtains + Blinds
    2 years ago

We have done a lot just like that. Typically we put a sheer on a track over the window / door and a plain thermal roller blind inside the frame (behind the curtain) The the same roller blind is put in the kitchen. This gives you the ability us the roller behind the curtain as a lining for night or cold days and creates flow between the kitchen and dining space. A thermal roller is very practical in a kitchen as they are cleanable and roll up out of the way when not in use.

Here's a dining room that I did. In this case we used two different fabrics and both are in the dining room / kitchen. (in this example its not over a working kitchen space but it would work just the same) This photo shows how the linen drape and rollers mix over a door and a separate roller blind looks next to it. Its super functional, cost effective and right on trend. In your case I would keep both the roller fabrics the same. Hope this is of help :)

• PRO
    Urban Curtains + Blinds
    2 years ago

Oh the other option is to use a sunscreen Roller blind behind the curtain as seen in the photo above and a sunscreen on your kitchen window too. This would reduce heat and let you see out. They like a block out are also cleanable.

• Adele
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    Thank you for that information. Unfortunately i can fit a roller blind in the door recess as the handle of the door protrudes- thats why i thought the s-fold semi sheers in a linen would work well but i am left with wondering what to do with the window near the oven...i thought a roller blind in the same sort of fabric if there is such a thing
  • Adele
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    I looked at the husk but don't like the colours they offer...can they coat the Zepel Allusion fabric?
    ...and don't apologize- i asked for help ☺️
  • PRO
    My Beautiful Abode
    2 years ago
    Adele,
    I just spoke to my workroom, they have successfully used the fabric for sheer roller blinds in the past. if I were ordering this for you, I would have a test piece of fabric to be treated for your approval before moving forward.
    Regards, Sophie
  • PRO
    Room by Room
    2 years ago

Yes there is a fabric that has both choices. Wilson Fabrics - "Husk "sheer drapery and Husk sheer roller blind -. Have a look on their website. I have used both in separate applications. Good luck :) Also you can overoll the roller blind if the handle is the way. The fabric falls front the front of the blind not the back,