magali_perry

Kitchen Window Trim - Too Busy?

Magi P
6 years ago
I found some pictures on Pinterest of some window trim. I showed my husband and he went to work. But now I’m having second thoughts? We are going to put white subway tile as our backsplash next week and need to make a decision quickly. Does the trim make the wall look too busy? Should we go with a simpler design for the top of the window? How will tuit look with the subway tile? Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks!

P.S
(Excuse the mess, we still haven’t organized our new kitchen)

Comments (34)

• Kelly Henson
    6 years ago
    Wow, how awesome that you have a husband that can do that!
    Considering your cabinet style I would remove the heavy top molding on the window. Use the same trim that you have around the sides and lower edge on the top of the window.
    Cant wait to see your finished project!
  • Related Discussions

1940's NZ kitchen - small, awkward-ish layout.

Q

Comments (121)
    I would suggest you take out the cabinet that is to the right of the stove and use it elsewhere in the house -- perhaps in the bathroom or dining room with a hutch above it. Then, I would suggest you have someone install a lazy susan cabinet in the corner between the sink counter and the stove, meaning you would move the stove down a bit and have a small cabinet/counter top to the right of the stove. I would suggest you have the cabinets refinished in white and then paint the walls a pastel you like. If you would prefer white walls, then add white-painted crown molding and paint the ceiling a light neutral blue, such as Sherwin Williams Niagara Falls Blue. Then, I would suggest you choose a favorite accent color and use this sparingly in accessories like towels, pot holders, small vases or floral arrangements, and a valence above the triple windows. For a genuine 1940s look, you might have white ceramic square tiles with a rectangular red border installed as a back splash behind and above the stove. If you are replacing counter tops, I would suggest a light color such as white with a beige or light grey vein or striation for some sort of pattern. You might be able to find the same color and design in floor tile OR opt for a wood floor as another poster suggested.
    ...See More

Not sure where to start!

Q

Comments (49)
    Thanks for the replies! My wife suggested we talk to a local real estate agent, so i think that is a good idea... just that Im not sure how helpful they are likely to be if we arent selling yet :) As for saving for our dream house, I dont disagree, however if doing this up nicely over the next ~5 years or so while we live here nets us some extra in the eventual sale, then that of course will help us as well. Interesting thing happened today actually. I got a knock on the door and one of the older neighbours asked if he could take some lemons from the tree. I of course said yes. Anyway he was telling me he had lived in the street for 40 years. I asked him if the house had always looked like this, and he said no that ~30 years ago the old old owner did a massive renovation and pulled off the timber and put up the bricks and gutted the inside of the house. Interesting stuff!
    ...See More

Kitchen ceiling design - integrating structural beams

Q

Comments (3)
    I love the general concept of beams and adding beams, but in this space with the ceiling as it is in the drawing, I think adding beams at lower levels makes things too busy architecturally, considering the soffitt and all of the other planes, angles, and openings.
    ...See More

Kitchen redesign ideas needed

Q

Comments (812)
    This made me laugh: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/09/seagull-turns-orange-after-falling-into-vat-of-chicken-tikka-masala I couldn't copy the picture, but it's hilarious.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Suzan J Designs Decorating Den Interiors
    6 years ago

I agree with benjesbride that the two narrow cabinets flanking the hood don't look quite right (sorry, I know you weren't asking about them, but sometimes we just can't help it!). You could take the tile all the way up to the ceiling since there is not a lot of wall there; I think it would really make that wall a focal point. If you need the storage of those two cabinets, is there another way you can get that storage without having those cabinets there? Lastly, to your question, if your goal is to try and make the windows look a little more substantial, then that trim accomplishes that. If you remove the cabinets, I like the window trim; if you keep the cabinets there, it looks a little busy. Hope this helps! Good luck, it's looking really good!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

yeah, those two narrow cabinets really detract from that spot. can you move one to the far left and take away the other? then just tile all the way to ceiling on the entire wall.

The top part of the window trim is too big compared to the sides. it's not proportioned. if you remove the narrow cabs, you can beed up the side trim to match the top piece. if you don't shrink the top.

I think this is the look you're going for. looks so much better w/o those cabinets. notice this window trim. similar to what you have, but the sides match the top because they're not squishing them in next to cabinets.

(this plain old white subway tile is so boring here. what a great spot w/these great windows and vent hood, and then the blah subway)

I really love these black windows. but look how nice it looks w/just the tile/stove top and those great windows. notice the larger trim (although the bottom is funky on this one)

This is what you should do:

better hood, no thin cabs, frame the window like above, or w/the tile, below, herringbone and those cool pendants or the sconces.

if you must do the subway, I vote this look,,,all the way up and over.

I also like no cabs there, tile to ceiling, your window trim and a sconce over each window, like this:

or this one. I think you should paint your trim gray and do a herringbone splash.

if you must keep those thin cabs, consider putting glass in them and trimming the top w/crown, like shown here

another cool feature is to use some of your countertop for the windowsill

• chiflipper
    6 years ago

The balance of the window wall needs adjustment. Remove the far right narrow cabinet on the window wall, that will equalize the space between the window and the wall on each side. Remove the window top molding, it's "too much". Mount the window sills and the window molding after your tile backsplash is done (that will eliminate the need to make many small tile cuts.) You are SO lucky to have a talented husband. Great kitchen.

• Magi P
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you everyone for all the rest comments. I agree with the comments about the cabinets on the side of the hood. I really need a place for my spices and that’s why we’ve kept them there. But now I’m debating it. I’m at work and the backsplash might be going in today, so not quite sure what to do. Convenience of having slices close by or go for the look? So many decisions.

Also he added a small piece of wood the bottom of the window to balance out the heavy top a little.

I love the trims now but do have the concerns of the side cabinets making everything look squished together.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

that's a lot of cabinets for spices. they should never be kept a heat source anyways. remove both those cabinets and put one of them on the far left of the left window. would that work for you? you have that small cabinet on the right side of the right window, balance it and put one over on the left.

don't sacrifice the great look of these windows for a few spices!

you could also do a shelf above the stove,,,

or cut into the drywall a bit and make a little niche for the commonly used items.

any of these would also work

you're doing a crown molding to top these off, right? so there's no gap between ceiling?

• Magi P
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I’m going to try and have him move one over towards the far left. Hopefully there’s still time. Thanks again everyone. Appreciate all the feedback !
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

ok great,,,if he moves one, the other one still has to come down. don't leave it by itself in no mans land! find another place for it.

• Magi P
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I’m thinking of removing both now. Will one off to the side look out of place?
  • sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

I dont think so, It'll balance the narrow cabinet on the far right next to the corner cabinet. You could have your husband hold it up in the far left corner and take a photo so you can think on it.

• woodteam5
    6 years ago

Your husband is sweet to have built the trim for you. If you do as suggested above and remove your spice cabinets, hanging one to the left will match the right side fine.

• torreykm
    6 years ago

I think the top piece is too large. These are photographs of my trim. It's made with 1x4's (which are really 3/5") on the sides and over the door. A piece of lathe is between the horizontal and vertical. A 1x2" in on the top.

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

I am no pro, but I am thinking of another direction than everyone else. First my priority in a kitchen is function. I do like the cabinets flanking the hood for spices, very convenient. The other direction I would go is to put an additional small cabinet to the left and leave the other cabinets in place. It would balance it out across the top. The white subway to the ceiling back splash would tie it all together. It's nice to have a hubby that knows how to use their hands. They are rare and are keepers.

• gurukaram
    6 years ago
    the skinny cabinets really do not work :( It will feel so much lighter and more open with them gone. They feel heavy and choppy to me. Love the rest of what you have done!
  • suezbell
    6 years ago

Like the window trim. Applause for your husband.

Someone suggest removing the two cabinets by the stove hood, however, if you NEED those cabinets (I'd think you would) ...

first, consider adding yet another cabinet like it to the left of the left window;

second, paint the new window trim white, too, OR consider painting the cabinets the same color as your wall so the cabinets can visually "disappear".

If you want to add color to your kitchen, you have the option to add wallpaper trim to the horizontal board in your new window trim above each window or just paint that one board a different color or different shade of the same color as your wall.

• Magi P
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We are going to paint the trim to match the cabinets after the backsplash goes in. I went home and had the hubby remove the cabinets around the hood. Debating on putting one to the far left still. Backsplash got delayed a day so I’ll see what happens tonight. Lol. Thanks again for all your input :)
  • Nidnay
    6 years ago

Another vote to remove the two narrow cabinets. I think they detract from what will otherwise be a very attractive kitchen.

• btydrvn
    6 years ago
    Perhaps hubby can build very narrow and shallow ... open ..spice racks on each side to match the height of the windows and incorporate with the custom window trim... they can mount over the full tile backsplash... so that process is not hampered... Just deep enough for one spice container....all spices will then be in complete view.... handy...and accessible
  • NancyD
    6 years ago
    Are any of those pieces at the top of your lower cabinets actually drawers? Much better place to store spices which, as previously mentioned, should not be stored near heat. If they’re not drawers, could your very talented husband use them to make hinged “shelves”? You may have seen these in front of a sink—tilt it towards you and you can put a sponge there. Could work for your spice jars.
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

Following along

• Magi P
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Subway tile backsplash started going in today. Both slim cabinets are down and I did not end up moving one to the far left. I left them both down and will probably move them to my new laundry closet. Maybe put a shelf with rod between the two. That brings us to another design dilemma; what to do with that closet, lol. Will start a new post once we get there :)

Back to the wall; i love it without the cabinets. Now that the tile is going in I can’t believe I was going to leave them there. The whole area looks so much better. Thank you everyone for all your help. Will post photos once it’s done.
  • Nidnay
    6 years ago

Magi P....so glad you decided to take them down! It’s going to be a great kitchen.

• Magi P
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    NancyD - I googled the hinged shelves you mentioned and it looks like a great idea. I’m going to mention it to the hubby. Maybe once we’re done with this remodel he could make it happen. The drawer in front of the stove is not actually a drawer but I’m not sure how much space is behind since the cooktop is there. If that doesn’t work, then I’m I’ll just use the smaller cabinet to the far right for spices.
  • Wendy H
    6 years ago
    looking forward to seeing progress pics!
  • Melissa R
    6 years ago

You can buy magnetic sheets on rolls, put that on the back wall in any size/shape you want, get different sized tins to decant your spices in, label the tins using a labeler with clear tape, and use that as a spice rack.

The tins stay dark and don't have a window, which is good. They are always handy, you wouldn't be opening up drawers or doors

• thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago
    So glad you took the 2 cabinets down. But I’m questioning the white subway tile. Does it exactly match your lower cabinets? It looks bright white and your lowers look a bit creamy....just cautioning you if there’s still time.
  • Magi P
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It doesn’t exactly match the cabinets but at this point it’s too late. We got a good deal on the tile and anything else was going to cost 3 times as much. In the photos the cabinets look creamer than they really are. Now that the subway is going up, it doesn’t look as bright against the cabinets. Hopefully everything will go well together. Crossing my fingers.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

magi, are you doing a standard subway layout or do you want to try the herringbone, or double herringbone, or a straight herringbone? I think w/that large expanse and beautiful windows, doing something a little different would take things up a notch. Because you have white cabinets, white window trim, white tile and the vent hood, it's going to be a lot of 'whiteness'. at least add a little visual interest w/the tile layout. And do a light gray grout for a bit of contrast, otherwise it's going to look like you have a giant white wall.

(go back up and look at the pic I posted w/your set up and the light brown tile in the herringbone. that would look so good on your wall)

• thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago
    I agree w Beth and also think you should consider a very light grey grout to help harmonize w the counter.
  • AprilShowers
    6 years ago

Hope I didn't miss this idea skimming through--I got nice wooden drawer inserts for my herbs and spices, and they went into drawers beside my stove (herbs) and baking area (spices). Five years later I still love how they work for me, and I've found they're much easier to keep clean and see what I'm low on at a glance!

In a deeper drawer beside the stove I keep some taller/larger bottles of spices and things like Tobasco, Worcestershire, pepper mill, etc.--all corralled in a plastic container. In the baking area I keep a supply of baking soda and powder, vanilla, and other flavorings, also together in a container. Very functional for me without blocking areas better left free of cabinets!

• Magi P
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It’s too late to do herringbone, the tile’s almost done going up. We did contemplate it but then decided not to. I agree it would of made a huge difference. But cost and extra time made us decide differently. We are for sure doing a light grey grout. I didn’t want an all white wall.

Should I try to match the window trim with the cabinets or the subway tile?
  • Magi P
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    AprilShowers thank you for your suggestions. I will keep all the ideas in mind :)
  • functionthenlook
    6 years ago

I personally thing the regular subway layout was the best way to go. The layout is classic, it is used time after time without going out in or out of style. Herringbone though pretty goes in and out of style. It could of dated the kitchen in a few years.