chloe_rich

Off-centre window

Chloe
5 years ago

What can I do to disguise the fact this window is off-centre? it is above our entry stairwell, and is quite a big space so I define want to hang some kind of pendant light but not sure what.

Comments (50)

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Hi Chloe,
    By hanging multiple pendant lights it will distract the eye from the window , choose a gorgeous glass to reflect the light, different shapes for a dramatic look , hung at various lengths it could look stunning.
  • juliahocking
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Chloe

Do you plan to have a window covering there?

If so make it to cover the small section of wall as well

Or paint the left side wall and the window wall in one colour, and the right side wall a different

colour or lighter shade of the main colour

I love the lights that julie suggests, especially the first one - that fitting will give some lovely, watery shadows when the lights are on

• Related Discussions

Non centred window above the bed

Q

Comments (2)
    You could hang drapes so the window looks centred (i.e. more panels on one side). Any photos?
    ...See More

Need help with living room decor/style

Q

Comments (5)
    A few simple steps can give your room a lot more vibe! Try pairing the drapes with sheer curtains, that will give the window more depth. The tv wall could be your accent wall, a dark blue would actually work very well. If the TV has backing, I would hang it on the wall, a few inches above the furniture piece. The two frames above the white dresser should go below the wall clock. Instead, a large art piece (about the length of the dresser) would complement that wall much better. I would also replace the coffee table with a rectangular, heavier glass and metal table, placed in the center. Also pillows. Pick up colors from your art work and the accent wall and use those to find pillows to decorate your sofas. Hope this inspires :-)
    ...See More

TV and fireplace. Furniture layout suggestions please.

Q

Comments (3)
    Try the TV where the sofa is now and float the sofa perpendicular to the fireplace where you currently have the big chair. Perhaps the big chair can then go where the TV was for a quiet spot for one. Or even better, pull the loveseat off the wall and put the big chair to its left flanking the fireplace.
    ...See More

How do I remove this off my floor!

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks everyone for the warnings. Honestly I had not thought that could be possible so just in case I'll gear up with a mask to avoid inhaling any of it. I will still need to remove it, but from what I read the problem with asbestos is if you sand it and make it into breathable particles, so ripping it out should be ok. I've looked up in youtubr and there seems to be a tool called mastic remover that you can put on your floor sander and it would scratch the surface removing any of that stuff.
    ...See More
  • julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Love Julia’s idea of painting the wall a darker colour, how fabulous would that look and really highlight your light fitting, I wouldn’t cover your window, look great from inside and out.
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 years ago

Chloe, it certainly doesn't look that great, understand your concern :(......a floor to ceiling sheer curtain perhaps?? What's the external cladding/finish? Either way it will involve some type of cost...considering it's the entry I'd actually be asking the question what would it take to centralise it? Or is the window offset for a reason due to the external proportions?

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

That window offset would annoy me every time I went down the stairs. Two suggestions:

1) Consider window furnishings that are wider than the window and run the full width across from corner to corner.

2) Get a custom made, frameless mirror, which is the same height and width of the window and hang it in the left hand corner wall at right angles to the window, aligned with the window. This will have the affect of doubling the width of the window and looking more symetrical as the other half is a reflection.

I would also check your plans to see that it was actually designed with the offset, or if it is actually a builder's set-out error. It happens.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Dr Retro House Calls

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Did someone move a wall and forgot about the window? Julie's lights are perfect. What do you look at from that window, street view?

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

I would be asking to have that window replaced with a wider one, that would be the easiest fix so as not to have to pack out the other side.

• robandlyn
    5 years ago

I agree with siriuskey - is there any way the window could be replaced with a wider one so it is even? At the moment it just looks like a bad mistake. You could detract from it a bit with the light fittings suggested but I don't think any of those will be very cheap!! Far better to spend the money fixing up the real problem.

• oklouise
    5 years ago

i have to disagree with everyone else and say that i like the asymmetrical window position and would actually paint the walls in a strong colour to draw attention to the difference but, if you don't love it, consider a window covering that is as wide as the whole wall, maybe sheer venetians or roman blinds or shutters or if you want to spend more money a decorative glass might be exciting and definitely add an asymmetrical pendant light

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

This is a new build, so you shouldn't need to be asking this question, someone has made a big in your face mistake and it needs to be fixed and not covered up.

• juliahocking
    5 years ago

I think a photo of the exterior of the window would give us a better understanding of why it is off centre There may be a structural reason for it being like that

At this stage of the build changes may not be possible

The asymmetry is a quirk of your new house - it's developing personality already!!

Say it's a wabi sabi feature and enjoy its character

• juliahocking
    5 years ago

Other situations where the owners have embraced the wabi sabi

Notice that lighting is used to distract the eye

Marrickville House 2 · More Info

Asymmetrical Overhaul · More Info

Leschi Residence · More Info

If this window were to be placed symmetrically, the building would look 'naff'

This way it shows character

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 years ago

when we consider asymmetry we have to think about overall BALANCE in regards to the space.........asymmetry is actually quite important and offsetting certain elements is often what is required/looks better than centralising perfectly......there is however big difference to the examples above that demonstrate deliberate, controlled and considered asymmetry as opposed to the window that has initiated this discussion, that is most likely a stuff up or a builder's lazy "oh she'll be right" thing, rather than a conscious "design decision" to be offset......if you were going to offset a window in a narrow space like this, it would be more balanced and offset like a 50/50 or 1:3 ratio and articulated as a design feature..........this is a bit like a Get Smart: "Missed it by THAT much....." ......it doesn't have to be much - it's only a small100mm difference one way or the other here between what we see in the photo, and what alternatively could be a far more balanced result....good Luck Chloe :) PD

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

This has nothing to do with Wabi Sabi. It's a monumental mistake

• juliahocking
    5 years ago

siriuskey

Wabi sabi is the enjoyment of errors, breakages, muck-ups, cracks, wrinkles and the nature of the world to give us 'less than perfect'

You have the ability to use strong words when a soft approach would do -I'll take that as your wabi wabi piece in your nature, and allow you your opinion

Give me the same respect for my opinion, as that is what this forum is for

It's only a window

• juliahocking
    5 years ago

Paul Di Stefano

Yes, you are right about BALANCE being important in the use of asymmetry- I did the uni course too!!

On some occasions the styling that comes after building is what gives the BALANCE

Take picture 1 that I posted

The window on its own is poorly balanced It is the painting and the placement of the light fitting that give the BALANCE

In pictures 2 the furnishings and, again, the light fitting is what gives the BALANCE

In picture 3, obviously it has been intentionally built that way. Consider how it looks inside!??!

Consider also that half the Arab world is blown to smithereens - does a lop-side window matter THAT much?

• oklouise
    5 years ago

very well said Julia... i would rather ask the builder and maybe find that the so called builders' error is a result of a design flaw where someone hasn't allowed for the thickness of an internal wall or there's been a late change to the original design or a million other possibilities ...sometimes we need to take a breath and decide what's most important but if Chloe doesn't like it that's more than enough reason to ask the builder about changing the window, the wall framing and external wall cladding and then i imagine that we'll forever wonder if it's worth all the extra effort and expense...hope Chloe gets the result that she wants despite what we all say

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 years ago

...........projects are never perfect. Mistakes happen, opinions vary, perceptions/expectations on various details can be misaligned.....it's somewhat delicate business managing these situations that involve costs, outcomes & varying degrees of opinions from different parties involved....... there are of course varying solutions.......everything is always in perspective and I think we can all agree that issues discussed/debated on this forum are exclusively First World problems & in perspective pale into insignificance relative to the bigger world problems................but back to this, the only person who can make that call is Chloe...she asked a question, we've thrown in some (hopefully helpful) and all relevant, although slightly varied, considered advice & opinions ;)

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Hi Chloe, The Houzz forum is where you can gain some great inspiration and help from all Houzzers.

You may or may not like all comments but that's a forum and honesty is foremost with me. You asked about your offset window which is in a prominent position and will be viewed many times every day.

Even with any of the lovely Pendant lights that Julie Herbert has suggested the window will still be wrong.

Are you willing to give us more info on how the window came to be like it is and what does it look like from the outside.

As I have already mentioned this is a new build and you shouldn't have to accept a fault like this, someone, the designer or builder has made a mistake and needs to fix it, that is unless you approve of it as it is and are happy to try and work around it which is a shame. Very much looking forward to seeing more photos of your new home

• oklouise
    5 years ago

the cheapest option to centre the window would be to move the short left hand wall

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

We have a framed copy of this in our home.

• Chloe
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    FYI when looking from the street, the window is centred. it is just the location of internal walls that have resulted in it being off centre from inside, not a builder's mistake.
  • Chloe
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I don't think the cost and effort to change it will be worth it. I remember seeing it in the plans but not putting too much thought into it. the window is at first floor height, so there is quite a drop below it - so lots of wall and gyprock!

thank you all for your passionate responses. I do like the idea of multiple pendants at different heights etc which is what I was investigating before posting.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Hi Chloe, After a chat with my better half last night who thankfully loves my cracks and crevices , it would appear that this is not a new build but a renovation/extension which would account for the the window being off center and that you and your builder/designer had agreed to.

Julie Herbert's lovely light suggestions would certainly help make this window look like it was meant to be. Would love to see your new light fitting installed

• oklouise
    5 years ago

its's such a relief to know the facts... thanks for explaining the real origin of the problem and i'm sure everyone will be very keen to see the finished product, best of luck with your new home

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Chloe I missed your second post saying that it is a new build. The important thing now is that you are happy with the house and move on with the rest.

5 years ago
    This may not be your cup of tea style wise, but you could consider putting a soft sheer up there. Hung to the top and hooked to the left. Then you won’t see that the window is offset.
  • Chloe
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Chloe
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    How lovely Chloe.
  • legendaryflame
    5 years ago
    Seeing the outside picture certainly explains why the window isn't centred. I think if you hang lights like Julie has suggested, slightly off centre to the left similar to Julia's first picture, the overall effect would look great.
  • legendaryflame
    5 years ago
    Siriuskey, I love your Wabi-Sabi print! I am going to have to search for one. It is perfect for me and my wabi-sabi house.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Thanks LF, This copy came off Pinterest/ Wabi Sabi, there's lots to choose from, I love it and haven given framed versions to special friends. Hope you find it,

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 years ago

Unfortunately, that’s just poorly resolved design detail.....Is it the end of the world? No, but it could have easily been avoided with some design competency & care.......potentially understandable on a reno, but on a new build you NEVER should have to deal with thinking about how to strategically select/ position say a pendant or curtain in order to counterbalance such an obvious problem.......

• oklouise
    5 years ago

but seems to not have been a lazy builder

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

I feel sorry for the builder who was left without a choice to do the right thing with the building, I can't say that I know any builder that would be happy having to show a window like that.. Who designed the house?

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    The front door from photo posted looks off centre as well.
    But then I looked at my front door (1200 wide) and realised it is not central. I have never actually noticed. (We have been here for three years!) Therefore it is not a problem. Chloe your home looks like it will be wonderful. Good luck.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Dreamer, It's not unusual for a door to be set to one side to allow for a wider opening into the entrance, ie: door opens up against the wall. as yours does, makes sense to do that.

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Thanks Siriusky, yes I know that makes sense. My point was, that once you are in a home, and all painting is complete, furniture, personal items are brought in and you are settled, then living is the most important thing to do, other things just don't get noticed. (Not by visitors anyway.) thanks.
  • PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    5 years ago
    maybe put a mouldings to half frame it plus the pendants.
    then it seems like its designed like that.
    adding mirror will make it double
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

3DA that could work to help cover this problem

• KK1000
    5 years ago
    Instead of pendant you could use same modern sconces , one left of the window and one on the wall below next to the door/ window can’t tell what it is, it will look like intentional space designed for light.
  • PRO
    Jill Rogers Interior Designer
    5 years ago
    Hi Chloe,
    My suggestion would be to use a plantation style shutter and extend it across the width of the window plus the additional wall so that it appears centred. If the frame is wide enough, you will only see window and no frame.
  • Tilly
    5 years ago
    After seeing the front of your lovely house I can see why it’s not centred.
    I do love things to be symmetrical but I don’t think it’s as bad as you think.
    I have just finished building and had these problems that seemed big but Once a house is painted and furnished you forget about them.

If it’s something you don’t want to make a feature of, then just paint the whole area in the same colour palette as the window frame.
    Then once your all settled you probably won’t even think about it.
  • Chloe
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>FYI after having been in for about 6 months, we now have pendants up! it's not perfect, but I don't care and actually haven't noticed as much as I thought I would
  • me me
    4 years ago

It looks nice, and actually matches with the door.

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous Chloe, so glad you did pendants, looks beautiful.

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Yes I noted the door placement back in October 2018, therefore I didn't think the window was an issue. Turned out to be wonderful. Great pendants.

• legendaryflame
    4 years ago

That looks great Chloe! The off centre window is barely noticeable!