natgalal

pool plants in zone 8 9

natgalal
5 years ago
what are the best trees ,plants , privacy walls to put next to the pool ? I heard some trees/plants are not good next to the pool because of the roots

Comments (11)

• natgalal
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    A concrete one so are palm trees ok ? areca ? banana plant? ficus benjamina?
  • PRO
    Blue Cube Pools
    5 years ago

How close would you like to have them? I would have them at least a few feet away to avoid any issues with your pool walls. Concrete pool are very susceptible to changes in water levels so planting new trees etc which require a lot of water may dry out the surrounding area and therefore cause your pool to crack etc. Also i would think about how the trees and plants shed, you don't want to have to constantly rake your pool of leaves and leaves can cause staining on concrete pools. This is a good blog for choosing plants. https://www.thespruce.com/poolside-plants-that-look-like-paradise-4063955

• natgalal
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for your help. I will look into what you advised. really appreciate it
  • PRO
    Blue Cube Pools
    5 years ago

You're welcome. Good luck and don't forget to post some pics.

• natgalal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

this is what it looks like now

• natgalal
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    what do you think I could use for privacy wall near the pool? I need something really high so I don't see the neighbours. do you think palm trees at the back then banana and birds of paradise in the front ?
  • PRO
    Blue Cube Pools
    5 years ago

Palm tree etc would be good as long as they are about 5 metres away from the pool. Many plants struggle with chlorine splash which is why we recommend a decent distance between the pool and any landscaping.

• natgalal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ohh..the pool is not 5 meters away from the walls. I don't know how to solve this. it's only 2.5 meters away at the sides and some parts only 1m. Just wondering how do some places have palms in the middle of the pool and doesn't affect the foundations ?

• PRO
    Blue Cube Pools
    5 years ago

The top one looks like a platform or they build designated plants areas into the design of the pool to ensure those areas are reinforced. I am in the UK so palm trees are not something we come across on a regular basis. I think it would be best to talk to a pool landscaper. Good luck

• natgalal
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ok thank you for your advice. I 'll post you photos when it finishes