snoozle

2-pack or vinyl wrap or acrylic cabinet doors

Sue B
4 years ago

There's lots of posts here regarding 2-pack and vinyl wrap but none that consider acrylic cabinet doors.

Does anyone have acrylic - how are you finding the doors? were they a lot more expensive.

I understand it is more expensive to go with the painting option however our cabinet maker advised acrylic was similar in price.

Appreciate your comments

Comments (2)

• PRO
    THE JOINERY STORE
    4 years ago

Acrylic doors tend to be an expensive alternative to Melamine. Ultimately they look like a melamine door with a higher gloss level. They are a real niche product.

• Darryn Mackey
    4 years ago

I’m biased. But 2 pack by far. If it is applied correctly. There are quite a lot of cowboys in the industry out there just cutting corners to make a better margin. Choice of colours unlimited. Up to 5 gloss levels. And down the track a fresh up or change of colour if you wish. 2nd choice, Melamine. Some great colours available as well as textures and finishes.
    Now Acrylic. Mmm, where to start. Yes it does discolour. Theoretically clear acrylic should be colour fast and maintain water clarity. However given the fact this is a co extruded product, not a lot of thought was put into how UV stable the ABS was. The ABS, is what gives us the colour. More of an issue with the light colours as opposed to the dark and wood grains. Then there’s the edge tape. But I’ll give it rest now.
    As for Glad Wrap.?. But that’s just my opinion.