mistya

White cabinets the same color white that will be on the walls?

mistya
4 years ago

Hi there! We are painting the interior of our home and the walls and the kitchen cabinets will be white. My question is...do I paint them the same color white? Or should cabinets be a brighter white? Also, any suggestions for a good true white? We live on the water with lots of windows and we have dark wood flooring. I know so much white sounds bland, but it really works with this space, especially with pops of color with artwork on the walls throughout. Thank you SO much for any advice given!!

Comments (24)

• acm
    4 years ago

I can say that there have been dilemmas here in the past about using the exact same color on teh walls and cabinets and ending up having them look like different colors, because the spray shellac used on cabinets just reflects differently than the same color in a flat or eggshell on the walls. So you might want to pick a slightly different "white" for the walls, perhaps with just a hint of gray or tan or whatever undertone would harmonize with the rest of the finishes in the room while allowing a little intentional difference with the cabinets. It will all still read as white -- there are hundreds of colors in that section of any paint deck -- but not get into the frustrations of a near match.

mistya thanked acm
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The colors will never look the same as the cabinets are a different material than the walls. IMO irt is best to not try to match and I agee a hint of color on the walls is a nice contrast you coud do just a tiny hint of green it still stays neutral and is easy to live with. I have used SW silver strand cut 50% it is agrayed green and works very well with almost everything

mistya thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • calidesign
    4 years ago

There are several articles on this site that talk about choosing the right white. Notice in this photo that the walls seem "white" but still have contrast with the whiter molding, and even more with the bright white furniture. You will get a better result by choosing a wall color with just a hint more color than your cabinets/moldings. With dark wood flooring, and a setting on the lake, I would look at warm or neutral whites, and stay away from gray.

Carlisle 1100 · More Info

Transitional Living Room · More Info

mistya thanked calidesign
  • PRO
    Scott Haig, CKD
    4 years ago

In short, I'd agree with just a tone or two different for the walls than the cabinets--the space will still read well with added subtleties of color in a monochromatic scheme as light changes in the rooms during the daylight and night time hours.

mistya thanked Scott Haig, CKD
  • lindacottonwood
    4 years ago

. We put in white glossy cabinets and painted the walls SW Extra White which in our lighting seems to be a perfect match. We tested the paint colors ahead of time. It is a new build. We pull in color from our artwork and accessories. The white walls are clean and refreshing to us. Do what you want. It's only paint.

mistya thanked lindacottonwood
  • mistya
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! Its a pretty big job so really want to nail it the first time!! There are SO many whites out there so it can be difficult. I truly appreciate each and every piece of advice...time to get to the paint stores and start sampling!!! :)

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Just an example from Rufty Custom Built: Cabinets are "Alabaster" from Sherwin-Williams. Ceiling and trim are "White Dove" also from S-W. Walls are "Pale Oak" from Ben Moore.

Rufty Homes - Kitchen · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/rufty-homes-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-phvw-vp~5155987

mistya thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

Not your white I suppose, but here walls are Woodlawn Blue. Cabs Decorator's White.

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Woodlawn Blue HC-147 by Benjamin Moore · More Info

Decorators White CC-20 Paint · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/woodlawn-blue-hc-147-by-benjamin-moore-prvw-vr~317632

• mistya
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everdebz!! The first picture is beautiful and the look I am going for. Its actually similar to my kitchen with the high ceiling and tongue and groove. The blue is beautiful as well but my kitchen is open to dining/living room so then I would have to paint the whole house that color probably, and I am a commitment phobe. lol.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Ellen Grasso & Sons: Sherwin Williams Shoji White on the trim near the ceiling / same color as cabinets. But a different paint color where it's above the walls.

UP05 · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/up05-traditional-kitchen-dallas-phvw-vp~1891432

mistya thanked everdebz
  • mistya
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yessss.... Perfect everdebz...... :) Thanks so much for the color names!!

• mjkjrobinson
    4 years ago

No to WHITE, get some colour, and make it yours!

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Key words of yours: Live by water, with lots of windows...dark wood [warm, and contrasting adds interest]...white seems to work in this space, with our art..... enough said!? ;)

• everdebz
    4 years ago

What's your sun exposure like? but I'm not expert... consider along...

• My House
    4 years ago

Patricia... You suggested SW Silver Strand 7057 cut by 50%.....

So, Is that lighter or darker than the next color on the SW paint strip: 7056 Reserved White? My local SW paint shop gave me a blank stare when I asked about cutting 50%.

paint strip: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/100768110392032323/

• mistya
    Original Author
    4 years ago

haha, Yes, everdebz! there is a lot of sun exposure ( live in FL) So its bright and cozy all at the same time. It has been white on white since we first built, 8 years ago. Time to refresh all the white paint but I honestly don't remember what colors we used before so all of this help has been great! The waterfront backdrop and all the pops of color ( pillows, art, etc) brings in plenty of interest!

• localeater
    4 years ago

I am a big fan of SW Alabaster White. I live in a house with lots of natural light, lots of wood, colorful artwork. This color is a wonderful warm white. I love it so much, that in the new house we are building I am using it again. It helps that the house is sited the same direction and is not very far away so I know how the light will reflect. But the new house is different style, there is still a lot of wood, but there is also a bit of metal with iron beams and railings. The color still looks great. I did the trim in SW Highly Reflective White it is a brighter white and really pops. I have a pantry cabinet wall which is wood, not sheetrock and I dont mind the difference in the way the paint sheen is, it works fine for me.

mistya thanked localeater
  • daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

We did Steam by Benjamin Moore on everything except floors and 100 year old oak woodwork. It was chosen by our decorator who said she never did all white, but felt that it would be perfect for our space. We love it.

mistya thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

I’m glad everdebz asked you about the natural light. There is a beautiful B.M. color called Patriotic White which is perfect with lots of sunlight.

mistya thanked JudyG Designs
  • maxineshell
    2 years ago

People are using Sherwin Williams Extra White for walls? I have been given the choice between that and Sherwin Williams Pure White and can't get in beforehand to check samples. I really want a super clean, crisp look but am afraid Pure White will read too warm and Extra White might be too cool. Everyone seems to love Pure White though. The consultant at SW said "Extra White is totally safe for trim and ceilings" before she knew I was considering it for walls. She then recommended Pure White. The cabinets are a super bright white so maybe the slight contrast with Pure While will be ok. The designer is reocmmending that.

• chloebud
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@maxineshell, you’ll likely get more feedback if you start a new thread for your question since this one’s a couple years old.

I was just thinking the link below might be some help. This blogger used Extra White on the interior (including walls walls) and exterior of her home.

https://www.thelilypadcottage.com/

Extra White on walls and ceiling…living room…

and kitchen…

• maxineshell
    2 years ago

chloebud, thanks so much. Just seeing this now. Thank you!

Sponsored