ingulita

Picket fence- TIMBER vs OTHER options (pvc aluminium)

Inga
4 years ago

Finally, starting on front yard update.

I have lots of questions on landscape design but will start with fencing.
Im thinking to replace existing with the similar white picket fencing, not planning to paint the house yet.

I really dislike idea of continuous maintenance needed for timber fence.

• has anyone used pvc fencing or aluminium, how how do they age?
  • or shall i keep with traditional timber in white instead of trying other materials?

Pictures online look great for all types, question is what is the best value for this particular house.

Fence recommendations pls

Thank you

Comments (10)

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

For less maintenance pvc fencing is ideal , there is quite a range , have a look at Polvin an Australian company, their products are made to withstand Australia ‘s climate, timber is beautiful but needs ongoing maintenance, metal is long wearing, it’s really a matter of choice and how much time and effort you want to put into maintaining your fence.

• Inga
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Julie, still feels wrong going with pvc, looking at aluminium now.

What do you think about colour?? Ta

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

I know it sounds saying pvc fences when we are so used to timber and steel, you could go white if you want a traditional look, or a charcoal for a really modern look, I think charcoal would look gorgeous.

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

I meant sounds strange saying pvc for fencing, maybe check them out as new products are coming on the market every day, might just be the answer for less maintenance in our busy lives. You have a very pretty house.

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

Love to see your fence when finished.

• Anne Monsour
    4 years ago

Hi Inga , How do the costs of the three options compare ? I have to do the fences on this property soon .

• Anne Monsour
    4 years ago

Sorry

• Inga
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey there, from price perspective pvc was the cheapest, then pine.
    And we decided actually on steel not aluminium, i like look of steel too.
    For 18m fence including 3m sliding gate excl auto, hight 1.2m picket:

• pvc - $2.6k material only
    • pine- $3.8k including installation, not painted
    • metal- $6k including installation

Cute house, good luck with it :)
    If u are in melb, ill be happy to give u the details of a guy we are working on for metal fencing.

• Anne Monsour
    4 years ago

Thank you Inga , that is useful . The house is in Brisbane and there is a heritage overlay so the front and part side has to be pickets again .