webuser_6954186

Is it worth putting timber/polyeutherine doors on a sliding doors buil

Galina
4 years ago

We are getting quotes for built ins. It seems that regardless of what materials you choose for the doors, the inside and the side panels of the wardrobe will be made of plywood. My question is, is it worth then putting timber or polyeutherine doors on built ins? It seems the price for these doors is double.
Current quotes for 2 wardrobes
2.2x2.4x60
And
1.5x2.4x60

Is around $1650 for the 2 if made of plywood and $1900 per robe if done with timber/poly doors.

Thanks

Comments (8)

• Galina
    Original Author
    4 years ago

They are already built. Thanks

• macyjean
    4 years ago

Plywood? Whereabouts are you? I thought melamine is fairly typical here so it occurred to me perhaps you are one of those posters who has inadvertently put your question on the forum for another country, in which case you will not get the advice most applicable to your region.

But FWIW the cupboard doors are visible in the room and the cupboard interiors are not, so I think it's more about getting the look you want for the room than about whether any particular doors are worth it in regard to the plywood interiors. The only aspect of the interior I can think of that is sometimes considered for the room is having black shelving edges can make them invisible in the small gap between the doors whereas white shelves do show slightly.

• Galina
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am in Sydney. The body of the wardrobe was constructed of particle board, it seems all wardrobe bodies are regardless whether you choose timber or cheap veneer. The doors are laminex.

• macyjean
    4 years ago

Particle board? That's not plywood. Do you mean bare particle board, not laminated? I have not seen that in many years.

• PRO
    THE JOINERY STORE
    4 years ago

It is typical for the cabinet carcase to be particle board low pressure laminated with melamine. It is typical of doors to be MDF low pressure laminated in melamine. It is unusual to use plywood in robes. I believe OP stating 'Laminex' for the doors is referring to low pressure laminated MDF.

• Galina
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry I must have gotten confused between particle board and plywood. I now know the difference

• macyjean
    4 years ago

If it is bare particleboard then my short answer is probably no, it is not worth paying double for better quality doors. Like I said, I haven't seen unfinished particle board inside cupboards in a long time.

If it is laminated particleboard then it might be worth it. Like The Joinery Store said, laminated interiors are typical.

Plywood is not unheard of (and I think it is more common in some other countries) but it would be unusual if you did not specifically request it.

Just to be clear, the cupboard has been built and has laminate doors, and you are getting quotes to change the doors?

For what reason are you thinking of changing them? What do you want the doors to look like from the outside? Do you want them to match any other doors or features in the room which are timber or poly?