briar_mays

Suitable fencing with a neighbours aggressive mastiff

RIA AY
4 years ago

Hi,

Is a tall colourbond fence capable of withstanding an 80Kg aggressive mastiff?

My neighbour has agreed that the Super66 fence needs replacing after the tree and now his dog have damaged it. This dog is a guard dog and VERY territorial. I have two young kids and I have no doubt it would kill them if it managed to get into our yard - no one lives there now but we will be moving in once we finish building in 2021.

Colourbond was a no-brainer until meeting the dog... Is colourbond able to withstand a 80kg+ dog battering on it? Or should I look into an alternative like modular walls. If colourbond has the integrity I'm happy to go with that.

Is there anything we should specifically ask for when getting a quote for install?

Thanks,

Ria

Comments (7)

• Kate
    4 years ago

I’m not sure what a super66 fence is. Are you in Australia?

• oklouise
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

i would be asking the Colorbond fence manufacturers about the expected strength of the fence and advice about correct installation....correctly installed the fence should be OK but doesn't matter how good the fence is if a gate is left open...rather than a different adjoining fence i'd want the neighbour to restrain their dog within a separate secure yard built within their own property and would also ask the Council about dog restrictions in your area...

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Kate, super6 is a term commonly used for the 6 foot, asbestos or Hardie fence, used in suburbs across Australia. Before colorbond metal became a product used.

• dreamer
    4 years ago

• Kate
    4 years ago

Oh an Old asbestos fence material.

• Nathan
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi, I'm an Asbestos assessor by trade. If the paint doesn't hold up, you could possibly build another fence next to it or cover the painted super 6 with corrugated PVC as extra protection. Or you could ask your local demolition guys to salvage some corrugated steel next time they do a roof and touch that up with a bit of paint.

Just note you'd need dust suppression and containing methods, low-set power tools or hand tools, and protective equipment when fixing the PVC/ steel fence to the super 6 (and probably chain-mail armor when entering the dog's territory ;-) ).