80sgirlatheart

What's missing from this room? Help!

80sgirlatheart
2 years ago

I am trying to get this room to look finished. I can't tell what is missing. An end table near the chair? An ottoman for the chair? There isn't enough room for a table by the love seat. Help! Thanks in advance. There is a circle theme if you can't tell. :)

Comments (20)

• Sammie J
    2 years ago

I would take the shelf off the wall, and hang the star art piece directly behind the loveseat, (about 6-8" above the back of the sofa). It appears you have room for a nesting coffee table that could be "shared" by the loveseat and chair

Also - your room could use: 1) an accent color for some contrast - pair your metallic and gold with a warm, deep neutral (rich olive green, rust, blue, etc.). 2) Texture - you can add the accent and texture by in pillows. And 3) a large plant by the window, and a smaller one on the table - something like this would add color and texture to the room....

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I’d pull the sofa off the wall and push the rug back a drop.
    Can you get another matching chair?
    Coffee table

• jck910
    2 years ago

Agree about removing the shelf and hanging the metal art lower. A 3-seater would have fitted the space better. The end tables kind of over power the loveseat. I would put the smaller table near the chair. The lamps are too short. When on the light should come over the seated person's shoulder not their arm. Pull the rug over so more of the sofa is on it.

• User
    2 years ago

I agree with PP. ditch the shelf and hang the art. display shelves are meant to display multiple pieces of art, having only one thing on it looks odd.

add a coffee table or large ottoman.

• PRO
    Brennan Enterprises
    2 years ago

What about a coffee table OR another chair?

• AGKY
    2 years ago

My first thought was a coffee table. Also some more substantial down-filled throw pillows.

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks all!

Here are some updated pics as I start to change things around.

I rather like the shelf. Any suggestions on what to put on it?

I am going to get some new pillows for the couch. @Sammie J If I use rust for the accent color, or another color, where would you pop it in? The pillows? On an item on the shelf?

I am going to get the rug more under the loveseat once my husband can help me move everything.

@jck910 I can't get anything bigger than a two seater in there, or the tables will start going too close to the entrance to the next room. I rather like the lamps. You pull on the ring thing to turn it on, so no having to do a reach up into the small lamps.

Not sure there is enough room for a coffee table. They seem to just collect junk anyways. Thinking a nice ottoman that could be swapped from the chair to the loveseat but would sit by the chair by default.

Thoughts?

• Jilly
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Lovely room!

I think a tradional style round ottoman with castors would look wonderful and be functional:

Ottoman

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

I like this room almost as is. You do have places for people to put beverages and nibbles, so a coffee table isn't required. I would like to see taller end table lamps.

For the shelf - this should be for things YOU like. Perhaps an upright decorative clock. Perhaps a couple of taller plants ... something mannered that won't grow more than say, 1.5 or two feet, container included. The shelf is at the right height. (Speaking a a tall person who hates banging my head on things barely above other people's couches. ) You may well have other suitable things in your style to place up there.

I agree you may want to shift that lovely rug so it goes another 8- 10 inches under the couch. But this would mean moving the chair accordingly.

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

Oh, I'd be careful with clutter (er, throw) pillows. I could see a couple for the couch, but not much larger than what you have for the chair. I'm always at a loss with what to do with them, the ginormous ones that hog the entire seat, when I visit people, as they are never comfortable. You want them to feel as well as look comfortable.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    2 years ago

The first thing I notice is furniture shoved back against the walls as if it’s impossible for anything to touch the rug. Pull things in.

I see you love that big shelf. But it’s too high and the metal (?) art doesn’t work well with it. Move the shelf down and rest a small COLORFUL art piece on it and 1 or 2 small doodads.

Remove the white square piece to the right of the piano.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

I would find a small coffee table that would fit or a small ottoman with a tray as a coffee table. Instead of the star I would suggest an actual painting - perhaps a landscape that would bring a bit of nature into your room.

• modpod
    2 years ago

I would switch the shelf and wall art over the piano. The shelf in its current location is to high, however, it also seems like it might stick out too much to be comfortable for the person sitting on the sofa if moved to the correct position. The artwork over the piano is lovely, you could switch the two. For the shelf, add a smaller artwork, vase, books, plant, memento.
    Like the nesting coffee table or ottoman with tray idea. Good luck almost there!

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

Great space! Your curtains are gorgeous. Love your floor lamp too. I also like the idea of switching the shelf and wall art. My first thought was the room needs a bit of pattern and a stronger sense of scale and proportions. I wouldn't be married to the idea of a "theme" in a room, btw. Themes suit parties much better. :) What you want is a harmonious space that meets your living needs. In your first pic, the loveseat fits the room but in the pic with the bare shelf, the loveseat seems much too small. Hard to know without measurements. Obviously, your traffic flow trumps whatever impressions pics give us. :) I'm not sure the table lamps are the best options for the end tables. They seem too large for the table and also the shapes don't harmonize for me. My first inclination would be a classic gourd lamp. (The Suzanne Kalser ones below are on sale at Ballard Designs rn.) If you have different table lamps in the house, perhaps try them to see scale, shape, etc.? Perhaps one of the square lamps could go on the piano? What is the small white chest? That doesn't seem to "belong" in the room. I can't see the colours on my screen that well so difficult to suggest ideas for extending the colour palette but you rarely go wrong introducing green in a space, especially with actual plants. Is the carpet grey or does it lean purple? If an ottoman would be useful, Jinx's suggestion is perfect, imo.

I'd certainly consider pillows with a pattern in subtle colours. Perhaps you can find different cushion covers for your pillows?

Here's an affordable cushion cover from H&M. Comes in a grey as well.

• User
    2 years ago

the problem with moving the rug is that it will stop at an awkward spot by the piano. try turning it the other direction and see if that fits. if not, maybe a smaller rug would be better, one that fits just the sitting area and clears the piano completely.

pulling the loveseat forward would look really weird. especially when viewed from that doorway to the right.

• msjoan
    2 years ago

I like your changes, especially moving the little trunk table over by the chair, but I agree that your shelf looks more like it should be an a high-ceilinged lodge than in this room. I would remove, as suggested, and replace with appropriate sized art. Do you think moving the little table has allowed room for a small coffee table?

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    2 years ago

Coffee table or ottoman for sure. I would change your cuhions for same color but with a pattern, cream and yellow. The lamps are too white, too low and too wide for the side tables, you need round cream shades and thinner bases. You could have a longer sofa with only one side table with lamp. This one is too short for the wall. You could even put a sectional here. The floating shelf is installed too high and is too short, but the overall idea is good.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

It looks great, I like your shelf decor. An ottoman will really finish it nicely. :)

• PRO
    Darci Hether New York
    2 years ago

Looks like all you might need is a coffee table or ottoman. Included here are some of our designs that just might help you through your dilemma.

Pied-à-Terre: Family Room · More Info

Bespoke Interior Design: Living Room · More Info

Light Renovations · More Info

Light Renovations: Living Room · More Info

Sponsored