helen_hall93

Windows - Monument or Surfmist?

Helen Hall
2 years ago

Colour choice for aluminium window frames - Monument or Surfmist?

I prefer Monument for interior (see floor example). I think lighter frames will need more cleaning). FYI I will be adding plenty of natural timber for warmth.

I prefer Surfmist for exterior (roof and guttering will be Surfmist and possibly the painted weathertex too). I like the light/bright monotone look especially with lots of trees and greenery around. I worry Monument will look weird and out of place without the dark roof etc to match.

Maintenance and cleaning is a big consideration for me (TBH 99% of my design is based on avoiding both as much as possible).

Finally the house will be on a 5 acre block with lots of trees so I don't have to worry too much what the neighbours will think of my colour scheme or my boring 'shed' shaped house.

Any tips, hints, opinions appreciated!

Comments (12)

• Kay Bodman
    2 years ago

Rethink your windows, as leafs and dust are going to accumulate once the breeze gets up. You need one fire rated and something like sun tough, therefore a dark frame would be ok.

Helen Hall thanked Kay Bodman
  • bigreader
    2 years ago

I think white with black trim would look amazing inside and out. But you’re right the Monument will look orphaned if the only exterior place it is used is the windows. You need to see what else you can incorporate in Monument or even black.

Helen Hall thanked bigreader
  • Kate
    2 years ago

Agree with black windows. External lights, pots etc in black can be added for balance.

Helen Hall thanked Kate
  • macyjean
    2 years ago

I'm sure I've seen people posting about windows that are different colours on the inside and outside.

Helen Hall thanked macyjean
  • Colin Malzard
    2 years ago

We’ve just built our place, painted exterior cladding in Surfmist, window frames in Monument, and a few features in Western Myall.

We’ve had a lot of compliments on the combination, people being surprised when inside how well the Monument frames help frame the view.

Helen Hall thanked Colin Malzard
  • Chloe Wilson
    2 years ago

I think it's nice 🤠

Helen Hall thanked Chloe Wilson
  • Chloe Wilson
    2 years ago

That's nice

Helen Hall thanked Chloe Wilson
  • User
    2 years ago

From the 2 choices , I'd go monument for the windows . But here's a thought -- have you priced actual wooden windows , maybe in a cedar or cedar stain ? You said about the warmth of natural wood ( I assume mainly the interior ? ) , you have the terrace there , you could even do a timber batten 'windbreak' one side or the other of the terrace , or even 6 or 8 battens vertically at the 'right hand' end of the house , to create interest and balance ?

I'm assuming it would be more ( maybe $5-10k for the whole house ) to go to timber windows instead of aluminium , but the look and the warmth would be worth considering IMO , and would really set off your place , especially from your description of the environment .

Helen Hall thanked User
  • K s
    2 years ago

If house externally is going to be light then go dark windows

Helen Hall thanked K s
  • suzhoo
    2 years ago

I am just changing the cedar windows to paint after 15 years. Upkeep is not realistic anymore. The cedar will stay on the inside. If you are in a fire zone you cannot have timber windows. You can get aluminium outside and cedar inside. Should have done this with all our doors. Question: semi gloss or gloss for windows?

• bigreader
    2 years ago

@suzhoo. For exterior semi gloss vs gloss won’t be an aesthetic choice as you’d hardly notice the difference. So it will be a wearability choice - I’d get some advice from a proper paint store but I’d lean towards semi. Same protection for the timber but easier to apply and less likely to show dirt and chips.