tristan_woodward

alternatives to Farrow and Ball

tristan_woodward
2 years ago

I’m sure this question has been asked many times beforehand so apologies…

What good quality paint would people recommend for painting interior walls? I really like Farrow and Ball but baulked at the price (£119 for 5L) so wondered what cheaper alternatives there are.

We have quite a few rooms to paint and originally used Crown Period (same colour across most rooms) as a stopgap, but now we want to upgrade them and personalise each one. The reason I like Farrow and Ball is that their colours look wonderful and they have such a wide range, from Babouche to Skimming Stone (colours we are thinking of using in our house).

Comments (19)

• User
    2 years ago

As has been previously mentioned on here, Johnstone's will colour match F&B

• Sarah U-S
    2 years ago

I really like Mylands. It’s expensive though (similar to F&B). I tend to get my tester posts from Brewers but then order my chosen colour online from places like Paint Depot that usually have good discount codes. I also like Little Greene and do a similar thing!

• Sarah U-S
    2 years ago

This is paint depot - they always seem to have 10% off. https://www.paintdepot.co.uk/. They also sell F&B and their prices are a bit cheaper (£89 for 5 litres) - so with 10% off, it’s down to about £80…

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

Personally I have always mixed F&B paints at Johnson’s but I’m not sure they match the Farrow and Ball depth of colour and sheen level. I have always done it to keep the decorator happy but personally I think the finish is better with F&B and despite colour matching Johnson are never an exact match. So if you can then choose the original and best.

Little Green probably have a better selection of neutrals but the Farrow and Ball site is better for explaining what qualities to expect from the paint (I love the explanation that it contains a little yellow or looks modern against certain other colours).

• Sonia
    2 years ago

I’ve used Little Green paints and they are lovely, but as you say, the range of colours is amazing in Farrow & Ball. My decorator told me not to use F&B he’ll get the paints mixed at Johnson’s, but I told him I’d already bought F&B paints. He didn’t look pleased but hey ho he had to use the F&B paints! It only needed 2 coats even over a navy wall so his criticism of F&B was unfounded.

Of the cheaper paints I liked Dulux.

• Juliet Docherty
    2 years ago

I do wonder if Farrow and Ball paints have improved due to competition. I have in the past needed 4 coats to cover dark walls but it varies. Too many choices by far.

• Kate
    2 years ago

To give a different angle on this, if you are actually doing the painting yourself, then choose a paint brand you get good results with. I would compromise a little on colour for a better quality job. Having used Dulux and Crown (and steered well clear of F and B), my best paint jobs are with Wilkos own brand. I find it easy to apply and good quality. My friend swears by Valspar for the same reason. I could find colours that work with the light in my property from any of these brands.

• tristan_woodward
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks all, that’s really helpful!

I was aware you could replicate F&B colours but it’s the quality I’m after as my experience has been that cheap paint really does show.

I’ll have a look at Little Green and Mylands, but I’m really drawn to F&B and Paint Depot is cheaper than i saw so maybe just stick it F&B

• Sarah U-S
    2 years ago

Mylands also colour match to F&B (but direct and not via Paint Depot, so will be full price).

• VRP
    2 years ago

How about valspar. We liked a lick colour so got it colour matched and it was near on the same and half the price. They also have so many colour choices.

• cavgirl
    2 years ago

Little Greene is the best paint I’ve used so far, but I think it’s as expensive as F&B. My first preference has always been Craig and Rose, although their prices have been creeping up too, so they’re less of a value for money proposition than they were. Beautiful paint, though. As far as copying goes, I’ve found Johnstone copies to be excellent for satin paints/other wood finishes, but I got a C&R colour copied recently for matt emulsion and when the painted wall got marked, it dissolved back to the original (Craig and Rose) paint almost at once. The old C&R paint did not react to the water at all, although if you rub it too vigorously you can end up with a slightly shiny spot, but the colour fastness itself seems unaffected.

• User
    2 years ago

I use Dulux paints as they are sensibly priced, easy to apply and give good coverage. They are also available in lots of colours via their colour mixing service. I have used F&B once before, but found it more difficult to get an even finish. The final finish is nice but try rubbing a mark off and it shows as a patch. I'll stick with what I know.

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

I would not entertain paying for F&B. All my interior walls with the exception of the lounge are Johnstones paint as they have an excellent colour match to F&B. They have all turned out spot on for colour and I have found Johnstones to not have that horrid dry line when touching up.

My lounge is Tranquil Dawn by Dulux as the colour match by Johnstones was nowhere near in colour but the paint is not as good as Johnstones.

• Cle Campbell
    2 years ago

Agree with Daisy. Used a Johnstone’s paint to copy a F&B colour (Blackened) and everyone loved it. Very hard wearing and cleanable too. Will do the same with decorating our new house.

• PRO
    Novitas Decorators Ltd
    2 years ago

I would go Little Green or Benjamin Moore which are technically much better paints than Farrow and Ball. You've only just got to mark Farrow and Ball estate emulsion and you're stuffed. It won't wash off. The big problem I have with Farrow and Ball is the amount of coats it needs and I'm fed up of using it. Every job I'm on there's always some form of issue with it. Whether it needs the extra coats (and yes I've used their undercoat) or you need a bit more and have to buy another 2.5L tin instead of a 1 litre (they don't do 1 litre tins). The customer marks it before you're finished, the paint does something to ruin your brushes, the list goes on. It was either last year or the year before I was told Farrow and Ball spent £12,000,000 on their marketing alone. That's where the cost of the paint is going, not on improving the quality of the product.

• PRO
    Novitas Decorators Ltd
    2 years ago

Or get it mixed in Tikkurila Optiva 5 for the walls. Durable and scrubbable

• Sarah U-S
    2 years ago

Ooh - Novitas - is the Tikkurila good? I LOVE their outdoor paints and have been considering the Optiva, but no one in the UK ever mentions them. Their colour range is amazing (their Mulberry is identical to F&B Skimming Stone). I’m very tempted by them as it’s a bit cheaper then my normal Mylands.

• PRO
    Novitas Decorators Ltd
    2 years ago

Hi @Sarah U-S yes it is. Cost wise its much cheaper than Dulux Diamond matt. I can get a 9 litre tin cheaper than then a 5 litre tin of Diamond matt. Loads of professional decorators now use Tikkurila. The only issue for the retail customer is off the shelf availability, because it's a trade paint. My local supplier now stocks Tikkurila and he can't keep up with demand from decorators. This is my 'go to' wall paint and customers rave about it. I also use their Helmi range, especially for spraying, I'm actually using it today today to spray MDF units. My 'go to' paint if you're brushing woodwork is Benjamin Moore Advance Satin or Scuff X, Helmi isn't the greatest for being brushed, takes too many coats