tesskerr

Painting my ugly brick house?

tesskerr
6 years ago
Hello! Would love help on deciding what to do with my ugly house. Long term plan would be do rockcote (plaster) over the brick, and linear weather board over the chimney. But at $10,000 that is a few years away. Would this brick look awful if we painted it? And colour suggestions would be great!

TIA Tess

• vjs12
    6 years ago
    I think the brick is nice. I would just paint the wood a complimentary color. Painted brick requires maintenance.
  • hbmiller
    6 years ago
    I would paint the brick a creamy white and the trim a charcoal grey. Maybe paint the front door a creamy butter yellow
  • Stewarts Point
    6 years ago
    I think it's a cute house. Partial brick is tricky

I think there is way too much contrast between the paint and the brick. This house is way mcMansion like but I think that this color paint with brick would be a inexpensive choice.
  • tesskerr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks everyone. I think it's the contrast of the red brick and white mortar that I don't love. I keep looking at repainted brick cladding, I had not thought to look at simply changing to other colours to try and dull down the brick.
  • PRO
    Matilda Bos Design Studio
    6 years ago
    Hi Tess....I would definitely suggest you paint the brick, and the colors for everything but the window trim, door and chimney would be BM Taos Taupe, the window trim and front door BM Swiss Coffee, the chimney
    BM Twilight Zone.....with some colorful annuals in your yard, your cottage will be charming I would also put
    large house numbers in stainless steel vertically on the chimney .
  • tesskerr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The brick is like this, there is no way to change to mortar (hand paint it haha!) easily to a more subtle colour, other than repointing, is there?
  • tesskerr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Matilda, I am loving everyone's ideas!
  • tesskerr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    And I am so excited for ideas for the rest of the house! We have just bought it, here is a sneak peek, vendors photos, so great blank canvas for us!
  • tesskerr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Last lot
  • vjs12
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago
    I still like the brick with that mortar. I'd paint the siding and the front door. Add some more landscaping and it will be beautiful. Wow, looks like you bought yourself a very nice home.
  • tesskerr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Haha that's what we do!! It's because red brick doesn't go with all my pink and glitter.
    Just kidding! I will make a deal with everyone, paint the trim, door, windows etc first, see how we like it, then maybe paint the house?
    Would the suggestion of the Swiss coffee (I had a look, very light creamy white) still be an ok trim colour compared to the light yellow, or something more taupe ish?
  • tesskerr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ps I am allowed new carpet right? There is 3 different carpets, and 3 different linos in the house! I was thinking dark carpet, a navy/grey? And matte polished wood floors kitchen/bathroom/laundry. Keep the light walls and wood window frames?
  • sixkeys
    6 years ago
    I like the brick too! I agree with just changing the other color with new paint.
  • vjs12
    6 years ago
    Taupe siding with the creamy white trim. Navy carpet is dark and will show every speck of lint. More neutral gray would be nice or maybe wood. Suggest porcelain tile in kitchen/bath/laundry. Keep the wood window frames but maybe paint the walls a color you like that is neutral.
  • tesskerr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We have a neutral grey in our house now, and I do really like it, maybe just a bit sick of it? But I guess there are a million and one shades. There is wood already peeking through the kitchen floor, and the kitchen is new. Would wood floor look ok kitchen through to dining, carpet hall, bedrooms and living, and tile bathroom/toilet/laundry?

I also am open to painting all the wooden frames and trim, but you guys might hate me for it haha
  • Stewarts Point
    6 years ago
    I'm just a person earning a living in a non design job but I think Yes brown undertones. Like swiss coffee It is my house's trim and I LOVE it. ( not my profile pic house, that is my rental house ) but my real house. It's also a work In process I have brick as a flower box
  • tesskerr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh and is it bad that I just loooove white walls? Totally impractical as we have a baby on the way, but FI keeps looking at "1/4 napa" and I'm "what about 1/8? What about 1/16? Do they make 1/32?" Haha. Thanks for all your help everyone, I wish I could repay the favour with advice, I know what I like when I see it, but have no idea when it comes to thinking about it.
  • vjs12
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago
    Yes, it would look good. Definitely, tile in bathroom and laundry. Are your doors stained wood too? I like it stained. Your kitchen window looks good because of the white kitchen. There are so many shades of white so if you love it, I'd pick the shade you could live with. Congrat's on the new baby!
  • tesskerr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes I think maybe a brown undertone to tone down the red. The house across the road, almost identical, has put up dark linear board (that's what it's called in NZ, same for you guys?) over their chimney piece, and I thought it looked nice. Ill also try and find a similar photo.
  • tesskerr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The internal doors are just cheap hollow core, probably from the 1960s. Ugly. Would a more modern door look ok (1st pic) with the wood window trim? Or more classic? (2nd)
  • tesskerr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Vjs, thank you! You wait till I ask for nursery inspiration! (Don't worry, I think Pinterest and etsy probably have me covered there)
  • regina5697
    6 years ago
    Adorn the chimney http://houzz.com/photos/4878597
    I think a vine on the chimney would also look great.
  • vjs12
    6 years ago
    I like the 2nd. Since the doors are white, I'd paint the rest of the wood trim white like the kitchen and dining room so it all flows.
  • PRO
    ENDesigns Architectural Studio
    6 years ago
    I would suggest starting of by just painting the trims (yellowish parts) a grey colour, and see how you feel about that. I think that will make a huge difference. Remember, you can't "un-paint" brick! ;) And what's the point in painting something that you are just going to plaster in a few years. Also, depending on the type of paint you use, you might need to apply plaster grip when you decide to plaster, which will up the costs.
  • regina5697
    6 years ago
    Also beef up the bushes under the front left window. The should extend to a width 1/2 the distance between the end of the brick and the tips of the bottom if the "A". The proportion if the "A" seems to be a little wide for the bottom portion if the house. Extending the line of bushes would help balance that.
  • regina5697
    6 years ago
    Ugh! Of....of.... Of.
    Or, planting 2 Cyprus, one on each side under the bottom of the "a".
  • tesskerr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh, annnnd we get a new drive way (earthquake damaged, insurance paying for it) we are going to do a lot of modern landscaping, huge deck etc. Would you go dark? Light? Something modern?
    Here is my garden inspiration for back yard, maybe more classic for front yard, some magnolias along the front fence line?
  • tesskerr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @regina, yes def something! That part of the house gets heaps of sun, and there is a door there to the dining room. I thought big privacy fence and magnolias at the front, then a bit of a breakfast patio off the dining room door (the right hand side) and some nice, tall plants on the left. I always keep leaning to really modern looking plants, but I think something more classic at the front.
  • regina5697
    6 years ago
    You can have your modern and classic too. Just keep whatever greenery you choose impeccably trimmed for a clean, modern look.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    6 years ago
    You can permanently stain brick AND mortar, which might not be inexpensive, but would perhaps be less than what you have in mind long-term. Also, it would still be maintenance-free. Google "masonry and mortar stain".
  • qam999
    6 years ago
    You can change the color of the mortar. I'd change the color of the siding to a sage or slate long before I painted the brick. BTW, your house is not ugly...it has a lot of modern, sassy charm in my eyes and a clean, graphic quality that borrows from tradition as well.
  • charliebeth
    6 years ago
    I say paint the trim a nice, sturdy taupe. Then see if you still hate the brick. It does seem that if the fireplace was a different color or fexture from the rest of the brick, it might look better? I think the brick color is fine, it just needs a better contrasting trim color. Landscaping would help too.
  • PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    6 years ago
    Painting the brick would be nice but if you want to save money I would just paint the trim and siding. The red brick is pretty traditional and I wouldn't fight that fact. Also, some nice landscaping would add a lot.
  • PRO
    Triangle Brick Company
    6 years ago
    As a brick manufacturer, we love the look of natural brick and its durability. However, if you do decide to paint the brick, please be prepared for increased maintenance. According to The Brick Industry Association, “Most paint authorities agree that, once painted, exterior masonry will require repainting every three to five years.”
  • judianna20
    6 years ago
    Paint it the all cream and then highlight the windows and muntins in a dark color.
  • rosecafe
    6 years ago
    Tess, I hope I'm not too late with the following advice. Don't ever paint brick. Your house is a simple design, exterior wise. Paint wont fix it. What's missing is a designed garden. Even the simplest brick house can look like an inviting, lived in home when it has a structured garden surrounding it. For less than the price of paint, invest in a landscaper to design a garden that will soften and greatly enhance your homes street appeal ...and add many $ in value. Painted brick detracts from value and has to be repainted periodically, defeating the purpose of brick, which is, no maintenance. Besides, your house, painted white or cream as has been suggested here, would stand out in the street like a proverbial sore thumb. Trust me, landscape, starting at the street boundary and leave the bricks alone. Good luck.