kaye_foster_powell

Update appearance of sliding wardrobe doos

Kaye Foster
2 years ago

We have one entire wall of bedroom with built in wardrobe as pictured and would like to update the appearance to give a more contemporary feel. Will have to keep to a cream/beige colour scheme. Should the oval mirror be replaced with a plain rectangular mirror? Should I wallpaper the doors? Would like to create a calming, stylish look, perhaps a little bit luxe.

Comments (11)

• squirrel30
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

why do you have to keep cream/beige? not exactly a contemporary colour scheme. There's a nice textured panel look wallpaper if you want to go that path.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

I like the door profile, It is the colour of the doors that is bringing the room down. Wallpaper would be difficult with the profile indent on the doors.
    Yes replace mirror with a rectangle mirror, if you need the mirror. And paint the doors in a white or lighter colour than what is there currently.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

Or even go with the luxe look and paint in navy blue or sage green. Both would complement the other beige colours in your room.

• Kate
    2 years ago

I don’t like the door profiles or mirror. Both age the room. I like the inspiration pics above

• macyjean
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I thought curves are on their way back in? I think the mirror is interesting and functional and could work. But the doors don't work because of the old-fashioned indented pattern, and to some extent the underwhelming cream colour. Are they a standard size, can you easily replace them? Or do you want suggestions for how to change the existing doors? The indents, as Dreamer said, are a problem for things like wallpapering. What colour are the walls? I see some pink and red and blue in the room? I like Dreamer's pics. Even with the traditional styles of those doors the colours give them a lift, make them look stylish. Is there a colour you like? Though you said you want "calming" so perhaps you want to stick with pale and neutral? Like Squirrel I too was wondering about the "cream/beige colour scheme"? Is the cream/beige meant to be a neutral backdrop for other colours?

• Kaye Foster
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. Everything in the entire house is cream - “Ecru” I think is the name of the colour ie, walls, window frames, floor tiles, every door, bathroom +fixtures, kitchen, curtains, carpet etc, which I feel is too much for us to change so it has to be the base colour but other colours can be added.

• Kaye Foster
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We do want to introduce blues in the bedroom but I’m concerned the to paint the doors in a dark colour would be too dominating. It is such a long wall - 6m. I can replace the doors in another profile but the cost is off-putting.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

Doesn’t have to be a dark colour, the sage green or a blue like this photo would be wonderful. Add some colour to your beige.

• Kaye Foster
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks dreamer. Yes, I do like the green and I agree it will update the look.

• PRO
    Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd
    2 years ago

You could rip the doors off and just hang curtains.It maybe cheaper than getting new doors. Replace the mirror with a rectangle one to update, the arch mirrors are the "in" thing but like most fads it will fade. The profile on the door is dated so if it doesnt get altered or replaced it may let the whole project down.

You can paint one room at a time with a new base colour , it doesnt have to be done in one go.

• Kaye Foster
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hmmm, that’s a different take. I like the curtains you’ve shown. Thanks for your input.