louiefl

Colorbond vs timber fencing?

louiefl
11 months ago

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of Colorbond and timber paling fences, please? I have an existing rear timber fence that needs attention. The existing fence was replaced a few years ago but is already leaning. I don't think timber fences last as long as they used to. Is Colorbond more durable?

Comments (5)

• Kate
    11 months ago

All fences will lean if they are not secured in the ground sufficiently. Colourbond won’t rot and shouldn’t fall apart due to the rotting and expansion of wet timber. Diff looks.

• Kate
    11 months ago

If the palings are fine get the posts replaced or concreted in

• dreamer
    11 months ago

Colorbond is a far superior fence product than timber. However, the aesthetic of your backyard also needs to be thought of when deciding. A dark coloured Colorbond fence looks wonderful against greenery.

• macyjean
    11 months ago

Timber paling fences vary depending on whether it's hardwood or treated pine and whether the in-ground posts are timber or not. Ours were concrete but from time to time individual palings warped and came loose and needed to be hammered back down. The posts were still standing when we eventually decided to replace with colorbond. A fence replaced only a few years ago shouldn't be leaning if it was done properly?

• louiefl
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you all so much for your feedback. It has helped me make my decision. I love the houzz community.