bianko

Cornice with no skirting?!

Biko Tee
9 months ago

Just found out my partner decided to skimp on the skirting, our builder has already got scotias and tradies ready to go, argh!
Will this look too top heavy? Is this something that should be rectified?
My cornice is Gyprock Alto: https://www.gyprock.com.au/products/cornice-alto

Comments (13)

• bigreader
    9 months ago

You could balance the top heavy look with furnishings. What type of flooring are you having? Scotia done as standard will look cheaper than skirtings unless you’re careful in its application. You can add skirtings fairly easily but if that’s what you want it’s about the same labour cost to do it upfront.

• Biko Tee
    Original Author
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Hybrid wood flooring with 20mm stick-on scotias.

@bigreader may I ask what do you mean by furnishings? Heavy drapes?

• Biko Tee
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Due to extensive costs at this stage, sounds like it will eventually have to be an upgrade.

• bigreader
    9 months ago

Nothing wrong with prioritising your spend. Building and renovating is a game of compromises. Skirtings are one of the easier to change at a later date.

• Kate
    9 months ago

Example from another post

• Biko Tee
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Actually never seen a house without skirting, guess time to stock up on some rugs.

• Biko Tee
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Another thought...then do you require architraves for the doors?

• Kate
    9 months ago

Yes

• Biko Tee
    Original Author
    9 months ago

900mm cornice with no skirtings.

Actually ended up looking better then expected, guess the 2.8m height helps.

• Biko Tee
    Original Author
    9 months ago

• dreamer
    9 months ago

I’m in Perth, and skirtings are not used unless you specifically ask for them. Most homes are built in double brick with internal brick walls and concrete floors, so have no need for full skirtings to cover up wall to floor joins. If installing a wooden floor then quarter rounds are sufficient. Carpet floors, no skirting at all. Have attached photos of display homes for examples.

• dreamer
    9 months ago

My home. Not a skirting board in sight. You will save so much time in not having to dust the skirting.

Biko Tee thanked dreamer