tera_hunter52

What architecture and interior design is this?

Tera Hunter
8 months ago

Emphasizes and prioritizes natural materials and high quality materials, polished wood, beautiful stone, glass, various metals like stainless, bronze, black metal? I really love them but finding it difficult to find consistent inspiration without knowing the style name for it. Look up rustic, Scandinavian or biophilic and you get exactly what your looking for.
Anyone know what that type of style is called?

Comments (44)

• Paul F.
    8 months ago

Chat-GPT says : "Hello! The interior design style you're describing sounds like Modern Industrial. This style is known for its emphasis on raw, natural materials such as wood, stone, and metals. It often features polished wood, beautiful stone, and various metals like stainless steel, bronze, and black metal. It's also characterized by exposed brick walls, high ceilings, and metal light fixtures. However, it's worth noting that many design styles can incorporate these elements, so the exact style can vary depending on other factors such as layout, color scheme, and furniture choices."

Tera Hunter thanked Paul F.
  • Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Oh wow, thanks chat gpt! However though some elements of industrial and modern industrial appeal to me it's still not close. The closest I've found are northwest lodge style homes, luxury rustic or simply a mountain house for the wealthy. They have that natural wood home look with stone foundation, paved drive, retaining walls, natural materials on the interior but it's all very modern, quality polished versions of rustic natural materials. Perhaps I'm looking for rustic but for the wealthy?

• Related Discussions

Need interior design help with this room

Q

Comments (6)
    The market is full of tropical/botanical art at the moment which lend themselves well to tropical or beachy looks. The look you are after calls for natural textures with a soft colour palette, think linen bedding and layer it up with throws and cushions for texture and pops of colour. In my opinion drapes are not a good option in your room as the ceiling slopes to just above your window at a certain point. This would dictate the height at which your drapes hang and, in this instance would be too low. To soften the windows, I would have a tall palm or Fiddle Leaf Fig tree in wicker basket. It also looks like you have the space for a chair.
    ...See More

Changing interior layout but would love advice!

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks very much for all your feedback. Just to answer a few queries - the deck is directly outside the main room so the new doors open out onto it. The doors won't be French - they're just the only doors that the 3D planner I'm using had, they'll actually be large stacking doors. I've had another idea too which would be a lot more expensive but offers a completely different approach. This is quite rushed so doesn't show accurate layout of kitchen or anything like that, basically just provides an idea. Thoughts!?
    ...See More

From Traditional to Architectural - Central Steel Stringer stairs

Q

Comments (1)
    Wowzers! What a transformation.
    ...See More

What is the best website to get interior design ideas for inspiration?

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Clo. Pinterest is very good, but it's more about photos and not actual information to read. Houzz is a good place, of course, but there are plenty of other good web sources. I have found this article on Google and it has a lot of information on Rustic design (it is also called Country style interior design). You can find there a good read on Provence style as well. I hope that helps.
    ...See More
  • Paul F.
    8 months ago

Like this?

Tera Hunter thanked Paul F.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

We need pics so post her ein comments.

• Otter Play
    8 months ago

Maybe try (PNW) Pacific NorthWest Modern. Or try searching Nils Finne to see if that is something like your vision.

Tera Hunter thanked Otter Play
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 months ago

Descriptions of a style communicate better than a label of a style. Picture speak a thousand words.

• Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I've never liked fake things, it's my pet peeve. If I touch a flower and find it fake, I cringe. Plastic, painted wood, fake stone are all things I find tacky. I like stainless steel and various metals, polished wood, stained wood or cherry wood. I looked up pacific northwest which seems to fit my taste. Rustic luxury seems somewhat close as well except that they mix rustic and luxury materials. Like marble with distressed wood. I don't like the distressed look myself, I like it to look clean, well made and not aged. I prefer high quality natural materials rather than a mix of high quality with old aged materials. Some rustic luxury looks great and what I'm leaning towards, perhaps the idea is simply luxury natural materials and how you do that, mix and match or combine is up to the individual.

• freedomplace1
    8 months ago

You need to post pics of what you like. All of these words are cumbersome. You may like a mix of styles, versus just one textbook application.

But the bottom line is - if you want anything that even comes close to being an accurate assessment of what your ”style” might be - you need to post pics.

Tera Hunter thanked freedomplace1
  • Paul F.
    8 months ago

Even artificial intelligence couldn't quite pin it down.

• marmiegard_z7b
    8 months ago

The focus on natural materials is not unique to one style. No one has cornered the market on that. It exists in very traditional decor , contemporary, everything in between. Not just woods but fabrics.

So you may be better served by searching for more typical style monikers, and see what inspo photos resonate with regard to shapes, detail, even color schemes , then translate that into specific pieces done in specific materials. To some extent you’d be looking at “ the big picture “, a snapshot of overall forms and arrangements, simplicity or more , textures, contrasts. Without looking too closely to see if stuff was faux, or cheapo ( though less likely for a photo to look “ good” to you if it had poor design ).

Then even in interpretation, you’ll likely have to find a balance ( because, $$$$) of where to get bang for your buck.

For example, there was a discussion about a hankering for real linen upholstery , and how it looks and feels, but concern about durability vs what’s the next best thing in modern performance fabrics.

Not saying you would use “ faux wood “ , or even quartz , but just that you could take note of things at super high end, if you find them, and see what things are splurge- worthy vs can be effective at lower price points or just the AMOUNTS of things. An example of that, again an upholstery concept, is finding a great beautiful custom fabric but using it on an ottoman, or some pillows, or a small accent chair.

Tera Hunter thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Ok I'll share pics when I get a minute. I'm in a very bad reception area for loading pics.

• PRO
    Lomo
    8 months ago

Better focus on that word ”luxury”, because that princess and the pea horror reaction to anything faux that you are describing is expensive taste, and created by a high end designer. You might want to learn to love some cubic zirconia.

• Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Lomo, ha I am aware it's expensive, it is a pet peeve, we have drywall and laminate faux wood flooring though it's not ideal it's still what we could afford. There are a few areas I'm picky about though like my kitchen and the countertops because I love cooking so I'll be there alot and want that space to be pleasing.

• worthy
    8 months ago

So drywall and painted wood is "fake"? And "natural" materials float your boat as long as they're "high quality". But stainless steel, which you praise, is about as fake a material as one can imagine.

I'm up the creek without a paddle. Or a pic.

• john3582
    8 months ago

Craftsman wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Tera Hunter thanked john3582
  • Fori
    8 months ago

Arts and Crafts?

Prairie?

Tera Hunter thanked Fori
  • john3582
    8 months ago

Not a pro. Craftsman and arts and crafts about the same to me, Prairie and Mssion are subsets. Not"modern". But have real wood, usually oak or cherry, coopercopper and iron metals. I am having typing problems on my Kindle. I I have hardwood floors, cherry cabinets and soap stone counters. Try googling both arts and craft style and craftsman and see if either floats your boat.

Tera Hunter thanked john3582
  • Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Here is one example of wood, stone, stainless, metal and glass. I like stainless because it's clean looking and durable.

Industrial Rustic · More Info

• Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I have quite a few pictures on my phone but my reception is too bad to upload so I am browsing Houzz for examples.

I suppose I got my preference for more natural and/or durable materials from my father, we are alike in our tastes. It took a while to get used to the idea of drywall. I grew up in a log cabin, all wood furniture.

• PRO
    Yonder Way Design
    8 months ago

That would be faux ledgerstone, laminate slab cabinets, porcelain throne and porcelain floor. And a clashing mishmash.

• Paul F.
    8 months ago

So modern industrial. Is this not industrial enough? How would you make it that way?

• Susan L
    8 months ago

Your idea book looks like mostly Rustic, and Mountain Modern.

Tera Hunter thanked Susan L
  • Kendrah
    8 months ago

That bathroom looks pretty faux everything to me. How about instead of a style you just have a good list of descriptions of things you like - Heft, stone, solid polished wood, masculine colors, metal. Is concrete on the list too? Do you like your metals polished or dull?

I get being new to drywall. I grew up with plaster, then rented and owned old apartments and homes with plaster. We just added some electric and drywalled those areas. It feels really cheap and foreign to me. But, as you sacrificed with some pretty faux sounding floors, we too are learning to live with partial drywall walls.

Tera Hunter thanked Kendrah
  • Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Yes I see a lot of what I like but they are usually made with faux materials. Faux materials are often not durable is the problem but if it feels really durable and does a good job of looking real I can still be pleased with them even if not ideal because we can't have everything perfect. I still obviously prefer natural materials and love how they look.

Also Paul F, yes that's a pretty close style to what I like, though I'm sure it's faux stone.

• Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I looked up mountain modern and rustic craftsman. That's it! I think rustic luxury is another close one. Thanks everyone!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 months ago

Might want to hit a bank ? Champagne tastes usually need a checkbook.: )

You have a "laminate floor because it's what you could afford". Probably could have had a really nice engineered hardwood, for not a whole lot more.

Show the house. Or if you are building.....? Or it is already built. or you are remodeling?

Permanent materials, are a thing you must separate from less permanent "decoration" ....

Many of the permanent have a reason to be "faux" including longevity, warping, transportation costs and many many more.

• PRO
    Lomo
    8 months ago

Unless you are building a 100K Barbie’s Mountain Home dollhouse, better look at things you can actually afford, and learn to love them.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/luxury-dollhouse-for-sale-36854532

• PRO
    8 months ago

I will wait to see your space . Really go to cafe with WiFi and post your darn pics . Almost every pic in your idea books is mountain style so what do you want from us?

• la_la Girl
    8 months ago

I like the description “rustic luxury” - makes me think modern, clean lines but with an emphasis on natural, luxurious and maybe unexpected materials. When the architecture and materials are thoughtful, the style feels relaxed and elegant, it doesn’t have to try hard because the simplicity is beautiful -

have you ever stayed at a Montage property? reminds me of that - montage.com

Tera Hunter thanked la_la Girl
  • Maureen
    8 months ago

Industrial rustic might provide ideas on what you referenced. Your home and futniture also have to suit.

Inspiration pictures are just that, but it‘s a good start for a ”concept”. Given budget is a concern, weigh if some “faux“ is acceptable, as often you can’t tell the difference and some may be more durable. Choose priorities and balance cost/taste.

Tera Hunter thanked Maureen
  • Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    8 months ago

These are some I like, there are elements in all that I like. Clean lines, classy, not too cluttered, woodsy, warm colors and natural materials including stone. I think all of these could fall under rustic but a bit more clean lines rather than aged or knotty wood. I love the carved wooden door too! I saw a wooden front door in a lodge once that had Scandinavian or viking type carvings in the wood. Very original and unique. My father is a woodworker and carver so it's something doable for us if we hired him for a project.

Legacy 260 - Wood Stove by IronStrike · More Info

Arbor & Lynette Cabin · More Info

Lakeside Beauty Kitchen · More Info

Burrough Residence · More Info

Martis Camp 376 · More Info

Lower Whitefish Lake 8 · More Info

Quadra-Fire Discovery II Wood Stove · More Info

Wood Creek Cabin · More Info

Timber Frame · More Info

• PRO
    Lomo
    8 months ago

It will take all 30 years plus of DIY plus at least 300K+ to get where you are describing. Logs take years to dry out enough to use for housing. Unless you build a kiln. Then you’ll need to own a crane for assembling. For the 5 months of the year you can do anything.

• Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Lomo, what makes you think we aren't planning on drying out our logs? We have experience and connections behind us as I helped my father build log cabins for over 10 years, teens to 20s. It took him 10 years to finish his final large cabin (he's 55 now). He also never used a crane. That's why I said it will be a few years at least before we can start on our cabin. Things take time. I like to plan things far in advance, thinking through design, I know it's far away but I can dream. We own our own house and land, tax free, one more year we will be debt free on this property as well. Our 183 acres we owe a full years wages on still. Husband took over a successful business recently too so this will fast track alot of our dreams and goals as well as allow us some luxuries that previously would have been unattainable in our lifetime.

Also 300k is doable. If you own your own home, tax and rent free and debt is low, you can achieve alot in life, just takes planning, frugality and not chasing instant gratification.

Whether it takes us 10 years or 30, it doesn't matter. Eventually we will be debt free and be set up so that our grandkids will have security.

It took 2 years to build our current home which my husband built all by himself, traded labor with my electrician brother to install the electrical. Granted we aren't finished as expense halted his work. But we work at a little bit at a time. I'm saving money myself to do the kitchen. We have a gas stove with cheap temporary backsplash to protect the wall and a hand built wood counter. Cabinets are up but the kitchen still has a way to go.

Positive thinking! Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

• Tera Hunter thanked mytwo cents
  • Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    8 months ago

More amazing inspiration

La Jolla "Hollywood Spanish" · More Info

Spanish delight · More Info

Lodge Style Living- Rocky Mountain Homes · More Info

Hinman Creek · More Info

Rustic Elegance Master Bath · More Info

MULHOLLAND ESTATES-CLERENDON RD · More Info

An Urban/Rustic remodel · More Info

Rustic bathroom, rustic kitchens, barndominiums · More Info

Claro Dining · More Info

Lahontan Home Truckee · More Info

Rustic Entry · More Info

• Tera Hunter
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Going through comments and typing in key phrases on Houzz has helped me pin down the style I was trying to pin down with my question.

Rustic craftsman

Industrial rustic

Rustic luxury

Mountain modern

Pacific northwest

Lodge style

So basically I like rustic but a bit more polished. :)

• PRO
    8 months ago

I worked in a resataurant that was built with green logs the whole building was constructed to allow for shrinkage it is quite an art but really cool to be in it on the time when shims wrere removed and screw jacks under the roof were adjusted. The shims cam out all around the windows which BTW were stained glass . Theplace was called Trapper John's in Salmo B.C. Canada .Is was a building tehnique I had never seen so you green logs can build your dream cabin.

Tera Hunter thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • dan1888
    8 months ago

Timber framing methods using Douglas Fir uses only green logs.

• blfenton
    8 months ago

Try Westcoast contemporary.

• Maureen
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Out if curiosity, I searched Alaskan home interiors on Pinterest. There may be ideas/finishes/combinations of materials, etc that could inspire you.

Tera Hunter thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    Lomo
    7 months ago

“It took 2 years to build our current home … we aren't finished yet”

You might want to finish the current existing unfinished project that you say you cannot afford to finish, before dreaming about a even grander and more expensive future project that won’t ever get started or finished.

Put your feet on the ground where you are.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    7 months ago

Hint: Avoid the brown, brown, brown aesthetic...!

• PRO
    Yonder Way Design
    7 months ago

Post your existing home. Maybe we can help it be your dream house now!

Sponsored