christine_adams5

Renovate 1970s unit - 'Utility' Room

Cee
7 months ago

1970s units. Haven’t bought yet but looking. Wish list for future: reno 1. increase openess between kitchen & living. 2. Increase functionality of wet areas kitchen/laundry/bathroom.
Many units have separate internal toilet as pictured. Although I like separate, willing to lose walls & doors for space (while obviously keeping WC out of kitchen!)
Hoping to live in for many years so hopefully worth reno cost/effort. Minimise fuss & simplify back to basic need for 2 adults would be the brief. Any ideas to get me started?

Comments (6)

• bigreader
    7 months ago

Is it in a single level development?

• Cee
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Yes. No budget, plans, approval for up. But will add ladder for roof storage.

• Kate
    7 months ago

The laundry space is taken by two doors. I would remove the walls between laundry and kitchen and hide laundry behind cupboard doors. This will open kitchen a little and improve access to back yard. I am not a fan of toilets without basins. But can only suggest a toilet with integrated basin to solve that problem here

• Kate
    7 months ago

Do you need a bath. For two adults it may be preferable to have larger shower and toilet in bathroom

• Cee
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Bath can go. Dislike WC without hand basin, dislike those tiny basin to squeeze past.

I get that regs need 3 sinks, right? Kitchen, bathroom & laundry sinks. Separate out water tasks: food, hygiene & dirty laundry/mop water.

But coped fine in London with washing machine in kitchen.