janinroch

How to Houzz, How to ask questions , How to get Helpful answers, and E

JAN MOYER
5 months ago

As a regular Houzzer, you already know the back story.

" Houzz is an American website, online community and software for architecture; interior design and decorating; landscape design and home improvement. It was founded in 2009 and is based in Palo Alto, California. Wikipedia”

As you see, the words “social media” are missing, and Houzz is definitely that!

For purposes of this thread, let’s just talk about dilemmas, question, the "Eeeks I goofed, and the what to do about this or that.

A primer : )

The Mystery Meat question:

Avoid it. Example: “I have this wall, it’s in my living room, and it’s boring. What color do I paint it? What art should I hang?”

Answers will come as this: " What?! We've no clue" You must provide context.

Context:

What is context, as it applies to almost any question? Well! It is simply the rest of your story. What is around it or near it? What else is in the space ? Do you have a picture? What are the dimensions/ the feet and the inches all. Where are the windows, what size and location.

When you visit a Dr, you provide an entire medical history. Nobody on Houzz needs your life story - but to get a valuable answer to any question, contributors need context.

Nobody is in your space - you must put the contributor in your space. Which shall lead me to...........

But that is not what I asked!

Yes, it is. You just don’t know it yet. You can yell, you can scream and stomp a foot. What you really want from Houzz, is an interior designer or an architect at your home, in person, and you want it now. So. read “context” just above, again.

A picture is worth a thousand words :

A picture is also a megaphone. Tidy up! We don’t need the view of the unmade bed, the laundry basket, the breakfast dishes in the sink. Ouch, that is harsh! No, it is helpful to you, to eliminate distraction for us. Turn on the lights. Raise the blinds or shades. Take daylight photos! Look at the photo before you upload. Check it for orientation! The sideways, upside down is annoying. If you want to reference an item, upload a picture, and the link!

Talk to us, so we can talk to you:

That is the purpose of the handy comment box. Use as many as you like, below your general question. Those boxes allow your feed back, more information for better advice and answers. Some will be good, some you will ignore. Some you will like, and others less so. It is still (always) the internet and a highway of strangers.

Strangers and holy moly you are so strange...:

There are no voices, no inflection, no hand motions, smiles or frowns - just ink. Try, try, try, to assume the best intent, not the worst. Know there will be veers, and hijacking of threads. This is the highway of information and entertainment. Try to leave a bad mood or prickly moment elsewhere. Assume the better intent. Caps do not mean someone is yelling, they may just be emphasizing and caps were easier.

I’m going to turn this over to Houzzers. Jump in, add your tips. If it veers? Yup, it is the internet, we just call it Houzz.

There’s nowhere else to get more help, more fun, on a two way street.

Comments (97)