webuser_82557312

Advice needed to improve tired 80's exterior facade

Jeanne
4 months ago

I would love to freshen up our original 80's home with new exterior paint and a new double carport (& potentially fence) out the front also.
I am not particularly interested in rendering the house, though I am interested in cladding potentially down the track. Firstly though, I would like help with exterior paint colours. I am thinking of Dulux monument on the gutters and carport Garage door. I was then thinking painting the carport a lighter grey could be good. Any suggestions or thoughts? Also unsure of what carport style would suit the house...flat roof?(I like the cladded style attached with the darker exterior paint used on house to rear & also black aluminium vertical fencing) or perhaps pitched roof with vertical slats? (Like dark painted carport attached), or perhaps a more flat roofed but asymmetrical style? (Like the last photo with bleach painted garage door). The last photo shows the colour palette that I am loving right now...but I'm just not confident with how it would look on our house. All thoughts welcome to make our tired but faithful little brickie a lot more beautiful & welcoming! Thanks in advance!

My ideas · More Info
My ideas · More Info
My ideas · More Info

Comments (12)

• Jeanne
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Sorry, the photos above posted in the wrong order, the last photo is actually the photo of our house. Then the order is right starting from the top....and I didn't post the last photo of the exterior colour scheme that I love right now. Here it is!

My ideas · More Info

My ideas · More Info

• Kate
    4 months ago

Go with your very first photo. It seems to have similar bricks. Your bricks are your main colour. Then add a mid and a darker grey for accents

• Jeanne
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thank you Kate. I think I like the 1st photo too. I keep coming back to it.

• User
    4 months ago

The windows in yiour house I am guessing are bronze , but the windows themselves look modern enough in design that I think they would still look okay if you 'modern' up the rest of the place , so thats good news .

Yje tiles I'm not so sure of though -- if yiou did the gutters and eves etc in monument or similar , youd' still have the 80's showing both above and below -- like I said , the windows are modern looking so the below would look smart , but if you have both , its then going to be obvious it is a tarted up 80's . But if you sprayed the tiles darker , will it then make the house too hot -- are you in a warm climate ( looking at the house picture , its hard to tell , as the trees are green , but what season was that taken ?

Lets clarify with the carport -- are you retaining gthe existing one ? Adding a double in front of it and the garage ? Demo'in it an doing a double between the garage and house ? Have you enquired about council regulations ? In front may be too close to the street . You'll probably need more concrete driveway ( and the fun of matching that colour ) . You may even need council permission ( and cost ) to redo the kerb etc to allow a double entrance . How much undercover do you want/need ?

Heres my cheap temporary ( or maybe fulltime ) update -- do the gutters , eves , the carport , and the garage eves and gutters in a monument or similar , do the garage door in a lighter grey ( or mid orange ! ) , waterblast the driveway , do your dark fence , and a nice garden with a good variety of modern plants and heights , maybe a metre wide , just in front of the house , and the width of the house . And add a nice letterbox on your dark front fence .

Jeanne thanked User
  • Jeanne
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thank you potsy999 for your thoughts. I appreciate them all. The house is in Toowoomba in SE Qld, so a little milder than Brisbane. The house faces the road to the East.

Yes the roof tiles have been another question. I have wondered if painting them a terracotta colour (instead of a darker one like monument) might provide contrast & avoid the darker & hotter colour issue. I am concerned though that it will still look like a "tarted up" 80's house! I have wondered if cladding the front alone might solve that issue?

• Jeanne
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Re carport. I want to put a double carport in front of the single (very tiny) detached garage & the carport to the side of it. It would make access so much easier for our two cars & also free up the detached garage to convert to a home office for hubby.

I haven't yet gone down the path of getting council approval for the double carport. That might be the biggest hiccup as I think it would be tight. I know it would need earthworks & extra concrete etc...could be very expensive...! I appreciate your thoughts about the front yard too. I was thinking that eastern facing garden would look lovely with lots of lovely native plants.

III

• Jeanne
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Hi again potsy999,

If I painted the roof tiles, gutters, fascia & carport garage door in monument for a cohesive look, had lighter white eaves, painted the bronze windows in black and then painted the cladded carport in either a mid grey like basalt or a light grey like shale grey, then had the black vertical fencing, do you think that it would be cohesive & a big improvement?

• Jeanne
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Hi again potsy999,

If I painted the roof tiles, gutters, fascia & carport garage door in monument for a cohesive look, had lighter white eaves, painted the bronze windows in black and then painted the cladded carport in either a mid grey like basalt or a light grey like shale grey, then had the black vertical fencing, do you think that it would be cohesive & a big improvement?

• Jeanne
    Original Author
    4 months ago

• User
    4 months ago

I'd tend to go 'all dark' to get that more modern look , especially with the modern dark aluminium 'spear' fence

Adding white may keep it rooted in the 80's ?

Jeanne thanked User
  • Julie Herbert
    4 months ago

Agree with pottsy, go all dark on your trims, could look beautiful with your bricks, would go a black modern fence, love the colours in your first photo, structural planting and grasses would look good, adding a dark trim always looks great with multi colour bricks, your ideas sound really good.

• Jeanne
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thank you so much Julie Herbert- for your thoughts & the lovely photos you shared too! They are very much in line with what I have in my minds eye!