mematthews

Paintable linen look wall covering vs more expensive linen wall coveri

Sally Matthews
10 years ago
Does anyone have an opinion on this? I'm thinking small dining room painted aqua for a coastal theme. Thanks

Comments (3)

• motownmom
    10 years ago
    I've used the beadboard look and tin-tile look paintable wallcoverings in my kitchen. You really can't tell the difference. My home is coastal and aqua is one of my favorite colors to use.

I'd recommend buying the paintable look wall covering you have in mind and cutting a small piece, attach it to a piece of spare wood, get a sample size of the aqua you want to use and just try it. Whenver I'm not sure about a project, I try it out. before doing the paintable wallpapers in my kitchen, I cut both types and glued them to a spare wood drawer I had (they were pre-pasted wallpapers). I tried them that way with the paint I was using to make sure I'd like the details before investing a lot of money and time into it.

Also, the big box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot often have samples of the various wallpapers pre-cut for customers to take home. If they don't have it, ask them to do one for you, they understand people need samples.

Good luck.
  • PRO
    DOWN UNDER FAUX
    9 years ago
    I'm a professional faux finish artist and recommend hand painting the 'linen look' using a glaze over the base coat to achieve the finish. If you're doing it yourself the cost will be minimal. Purchase some clear glaze at your local hardware store and add up to 25% paint in the color of your choice for the 'linen'. I would experiment with color combinations first, however this is one way of getting the look without the expense AND being easy to change in the future too. Brush the glaze horizontally first, let dry, brush vertical next, let dry.
  • PRO
    Passionate Home
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Agree with Down Under Faux that this can be done with products/paints/glazes. The challenge to getting it to look just like linen is the tool or tools that you use to pull the lines through, and also the body of the products you are using. It will get the little nibs of "fabric" when done well. I think the paper would be fine as well, it's just going to look a bit more like painted paper than fabric if you just use paint.