grossli

The most affordable, energy efficient, pre-fabricated home for NZ

Linda Gross
10 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are US citizens who have permanently relocated to New Zealand. We love this country and intend to grow old here. Our only complaint is the state of housing here - it is extremely expensive, the quality is poor, energy efficiency and warmth are rare and the designs on offer do not fit with our slightly traditional American sensibilities. There is also the added problem that I am a little bit allergic to most things that are found in modern home construction - so I really need a "healthy home". I am a fan of the "not too big" approach to design. We are not after a "McMansion", in fact we would like the smallest possible home, while still giving myself, my husband and our growing son the spaces we need. What I do want is a bit of character, natural light and architectural variety, but it must also be efficient, comfortable, healthy and most of all affordable. A building plot here will cost us about what a middle class family in the US would spend on a fully finished house, so it doesn't leave much for conventional building. So what I am trying to find out is, are there any companies (either in NZ or, if not, some place that would ship to NZ) that can offer us a turn-key home that meets our needs and can be finished for around $150k NZD + land? Thanks.

Comment