ctycer73

Configuring floor plan

ctycer73
9 years ago
We're building a new home. It'll be modest but needs to comfortably fit 5 people (1900ft2 w/o garage-4bdrm/2living/2bth). In trying to maximise the available space I have tried to do away with hallways, vestibules, and other space hogs. Now I'm wondering about our decision to cut out the standard 'study' that all new homes seem to have. But there is some doubt in my mind. When we go to sell in say 10 years will our lack of study be an issue with purchasers?

Here's why I think the study should go to create more space for the remaining floor area. No one in our family using a desk top. Not the computer sort or the wooden sort. The laptops are used either on the lap, kitchen table or bed. The rest of the devices that would be used for activities traditionally undertaken in a study are done on handhelds. So then the next issue with a study is that it usually provides quiet space which adults like but kids just don't get. So will my partner and I be able to undertake our quiet activities without a study? I think so if there is a small table in a quiet corner, say master bedroom or other nook. The final part of the thinking is that if either of us starts to work from home we will need more space than most studies have since they are glorified closets in many homes. My idea has been to make the garage, which will be separate (660ft2), large enough to create this work-from-home space if the need arises.

So all of you in Houzz-land, am I creating a serious selling issue by axing the study or am I on to a new trend in floor plans that reflects people's changing needs? Is a work from home space in the separate garage commiserate to a study or will it be taken as not adequate?

Comments (3)