samiam1611

custom home or renovate old house?

samiam1611
9 years ago
I am planning my realistic dream home. I have some particulars that are difficult to find here. The area I want to (and currently) live in is highly developed with very little land for sale. So I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up having to renovate a house instead of building a custom house from scratch.
Since this is a realistic dream home, there are certain concessions I am willing to make to keep the price reasonable.
One reason I feel like I need a custom house is this: I am and intend to remain childfree. I do not need a big house! I want a big master bedroom and could use the other room(s) as a dressing room or storage.
I want an open floor plan. So many houses here have formal living rooms and dining rooms. If I were to buy an already made house, is it possible to literally knock down walls and make an open floor plan, or would that like, make the floor above collapse?
I want an entry/mudroom. Other than that, I am fine with the main floor being one big kitchen/den combo. Would that be cheap? (speaking of a custom home here.)
Because I don't need many rooms in this house, do you think building a custom house would not necessarily be super expensive? Like under 300k? I mean I know there's like a million factors in building a house but just make a guess.
If you don't know anything about custom houses but know a thing or 2 about knocking down walls/major renovations, let me know if that is a financially and structurally feasible option.

Comments (5)