houzzau

Yay or Nay? Mirrored splashbacks

HouzzAU
9 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

What do you think of having a mirror facing you in the kitchen, as opposed to tiles, painted glass or other common choices.

Yay - great idea
Nay - not for me

Comments (48)

• njknjk
    9 years ago
    so pretty to look at but life is too short to keep it polished
  • bigredkate
    9 years ago
    I don't think it would be any more difficult to keep clean than a standard glass splash back. It would be a lot less maintenance than the heavily textured ones currently fashionable.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Nup nup nup.
  • carthiefintexas
    9 years ago
    Not a fan of the clinical look. The last thing I want is concerning myself with how I look when eating. My friends have it in their kitchen / diner so I always ensure I'm at the end near the oven. Heavily distressed glass would be okay.
  • Luciana
    9 years ago
    Double the spaghetti sauce splatter? No, thank you!
  • PRO
    Designed Space Interior Exterior
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    great idea if reflecting something worth reflecting, and for the right reasons, I agree with Bekkyboo7 above, you do reflected the back of coffee machines etc, and this does need to be considered if this is the way you choose to arrange your kitchen.
    In a compact city apartment, the mirrored splashback can reflect city skylines if you are viewing the right angle. You can combine mirror with a solid splashback behind the cooktop. At each end (return cabinetry or wall) you can use the mirror here, this creates an optical illusion and increased the length of the bench visually.
    you really must be aware of why you are adding the mirror and will the reflection be interesting if viewed from another sitting point in the space, and importantly what is the reflection when viewed from the entry to the room.... If it is reflecting more of the room interior (like the picture above), then no, I don't recommend mirror... its not adding/reflecting anything new.
    so in short ;-) yay for mirrored splashbacks if reflecting a great angle of the exterior, or an interesting space.
  • Chris Shannon
    9 years ago
    We installed them in our last place and they look great. We used the same reflexive glass they use on commercial buildings so it wasn't exactly mirrored. Keeping it clean was fine. Just wipe down with windex after you cook
  • PRO
    Veal Design Associates
    9 years ago
    I've done it to great effect, but you have to really consider everything- as Designed Space above comments explain.
  • alwaysdesigning
    9 years ago
    Instead of mirror, I prefer a back painted glass backsplash More modern looking and more forgiving with splashes and smears that would be magnified on mirror.
  • deandy
    9 years ago
    I have it and it's easy to keep clean. Chux and windex and 30seconds is all that's needed .
  • User
    9 years ago
    We have mirrored splash, mirrored kicks and mirror above the cupboards below the ceiling. Looks brilliant.
  • Karen Ginas
    9 years ago
    Love mirrors. Anywhere and everywhere!
  • Marcy
    9 years ago
    Pain to clean
  • PRO
    ATA & Consultants
    9 years ago
    Only for the "trendies" that can't cook. Better use on the ceilings ;-)
  • taeganerin
    8 years ago

Love the idea of a mirror splash back, especially if you have a view. You wants to look at tiles when you can see the reflection an ocean or city behind you. Also great if you have a narrow kitchen, makes it feel bigger...though am going through huge subway tile phase!

• mcxu8
    8 years ago

Bad fengshui is what I'm told.

• User
    8 years ago
    Actually, a reflective surface behind the stove is good Feng Shui. It is commonly held that placing a mirror or reflective aluminum as a backsplash, or on the sidewall of a cramped stove, serves a number of purposes. First, the mirror reflects anyone entering, so the cook will be calmer, happier, and less nervous and jumpy. Second, the mirror symbolically doubles the number of burners and the amount of food/money (ts’ai) being prepared, so earnings will expand. If the stove faces a windowed wall, even though good scenery is pleasant for the cook to admire, some say you should still install a reflective strip or mirror to reflect the doorway.
  • Jacinta O'Brien
    8 years ago
    Good for small spaces but I hate cleaning mirrors as it is. I hate streaky mirrors so can only image having a mirrored splash back would send me nuts.
  • our_zen
    8 years ago
    I'd love a mirror splashback but am not sure if you can have one behind an induction cooktop? I don't mind cleaning it, but will it crack?
  • muzzzdezzzign
    8 years ago

We have a tinted mirror splash back. Don't believe the hype about the amount of cleaning it requires. After two years, we have found it not to be that bad at all.

Behind the induction cooktop for us has been fine, though, our bench tops are 700 mm deep, but the amount of heat transferred is nil

• Adrian Watson
    7 years ago
    ours was installed yesterday. I rather like it
  • PRO
    Dion Seminara Architecture
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

A mirrored splash back is a great way to add an extra sense of space to your kitchen and is no harder to clean than any other splash back.

• PRO
    dts builders
    7 years ago
    We love a mirrored splashback. It's a great trick to open up a space and really isn't that hard to maintain. The trick to using the material and keeping it low maintenance is not to use it behind a cooktop. The oils from the cooktop are more difficult to clean. The sink can be a pain with the water splash but is easy to wipe clean with a microfiber cloth.
  • Jessie Harrison
    7 years ago

It all depends on where the mirror is at. I kind of like the idea of having a mirror in the kitchen. However, it may be nice to try a painted glass splashback. I love the look of glass in my kitchen, so whether it be a mirror or a sheet of glass I'm a sucker for it. I'd love to see some examples of what you're thinking. http://www.granart.com.au/contact 

• al_steve_fabiny
    7 years ago
    Installed a splash back grey mirror, was hesitant at first but love it and easy to clean.
    Also installed one in my open appliance area which has shelving on the mirrored surface. This reflects the north facing garden courtyard. Works well.
  • User
    7 years ago

i think it depends on if you have kids or pets whether you should have a mirror instead of tiles and such

• missyjussy
    7 years ago

Thinking about it but wondered if you need and where you get the heat resistant glass?

• muzzzdezzzign
    7 years ago
    The splashback would be toughened glass, you can get that pretty much anywhere.
    The material behind the cooktop, area I would use a cement sheet for any heat transfer problems, if you have a gas cookbook.
    Induction cook tops just need toughened glass (no flame).
    Check your local building regs.
  • PRO
    Alliance Robes
    7 years ago

The mirror splashbacks look fabulous but as others have said before me I wouldn't like to be the one to keep them clean

• cazzz45
    6 years ago

OMG it would be so scary first thing in the morning might give myself a heart attack. Would have to have a good coffee machine before getting near a mirrored backsplash..

• PRO
    Northern Rivers Bathroom Renovations
    6 years ago

The mirror splashbacks look fabulous. If you're a neat person then it can really help with making the kitchen appear bigger than it really is. On the other hand if your a person who always has clutter on the benchtop than the clutter will be doubled in the mirror splashback and make your kitchen look more untidy than it really is. If your bench tops are usually cluttered I would go with the tinted glass option.

• Callie Rousell
    6 years ago

Beautiful neat, clean and finished design. I love the beautiful mirror splash back and the island bench. The lights are stunning and the black chairs fit in well! I like how the fridge and the oven are right next to each other. It is a beautiful design, obviously alot of care has been put into the design and creating of this area of the house. I'm sure the rest of the house is immaculate too!

• Stephanie Pearce
    6 years ago

If you have a small kitchen I think it's a great way to increase the visual space. Sure it'll be a pain to clean, but as stated previously, not as hard as those textured tile or glass back splashes. I don't think I'd personally have one but for a client in a small space I'd consider it.

• PRO
    Digital art on glass.
    6 years ago

I have installed them and the reason they wanted a mirror splash back is that they wanted to view the reflected magnificant view that they had.

• Jo Louise
    5 years ago
    Chris Shannon
    You mentioned ur splashback is used externally where do I contact to get this product? My splash back is 5 meters long
  • PRO
    Haus12 Interiors
    5 years ago

We love the use of a mirror finish as a splashback.

Here are a couple we have recently installed.

Jedmoor · More Info

Under the dark area of the stairs with LED lighting - Antique bronze mirror

Younghall · More Info

Younghall · More Info

Bronze mirror

Lumley Way · More Info

Full wall and Island niche cut out - Antique bronze mirror

• AboutToGetDusty
    5 years ago

Interesting idea! Can you use a reflective glass or mirror backsplash that looks antiqued - behind a gas cooktop? Is that safe?

• PRO
    Digital art on glass.
    5 years ago

Yes you can. I have supplied a few to clients.

• PRO
    Wilson Homes
    5 years ago

Our clients love mirrored splashbacks to be able to have light flooding through the Kitchen areas and also keeping an eye on the kids whilst you back is to them whilst cooking!

• Colleen Gibson
    5 years ago

Also consider if you like seeing yoursef in the mirror constantly, thats the reason i didnt go for one!

• Naomi Everton
    2 years ago

I’m in the process of designing my apartment kitchen & want a mirror splash back. My kitchen is dark & I stand with my back to anyone sitting at the bench. Undecided on whether to use the mirror wraparound or flat at the back wall.

• Adrian Watson
    2 years ago

Yes 100% just on the back the darkened mirrors look awesome

• dairy_maid
    2 years ago

I hope you love cleaning. Is far worse than toothpaste spatters on a bathroom mirror

• Naomi Everton
    2 years ago

There's just me living in this space. In the 4mths I've lived here so far I haven't had to clean the tiles on back wall but it is dark so maybe I can't see the mess. As for the sink area there's water splashes always on the tiles. The kitchen designer advised me against using the mirror here for that reason.

• Kate
    2 years ago

Like the second. Makes it look bigger

• PRO
    Avant Stone
    2 years ago

Looks great, a smoked mirror would look great too, with a slight tint to it :)

• Adrian Watson
    2 years ago

@dairy_maid yes I like cleaning. Cooking food makes a mess and I would prefer to clean it up than leave what I can't see