carly_grant9845

Refinishing/painting Baker chests?

Carly Grant
9 years ago
We have two identical Baker chests which were my grandparents. Thinking of having them painted or refinished to modernize them some without losing their innate beauty. Our style is transitional and we use a lot if black and espresso accents. Thoughts??

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Homestyling101 LLC
    9 years ago
    You might want to consider a color from Annie Sloan Chalk Paint line. There is very little prep involved and the finished product has a beautiful patina to it! Maybe a soft gray...
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    I suggest you talk to the local Baker dealer to see where they send their things for touch up. These are very, very nice pieces. You can get the finish overcoated by a professional refinisher, but talk to them first if you are concerned about retaining the value.
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    They look like really nice pieces...nice toooo have
    Something that was your grandparents ...
    Maybe change handles first
    See how you feel about them both
    After that ..might be a shame tooooo paint them
    But yes Annie Sloan ...is good paint !!!! Maybe not for this piece
    Might cost £...
    But goes along way ...
    Good luck please post pics
    When your done ..
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    ....wow nice examples love this one
    bluenan .....
  • motupeg
    9 years ago
    Yes, be careful of what you do with Baker chests. I have several and are worth some money now.
  • PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    9 years ago
    I would talk to Baker and maybe they just need a good waxing. I wouldn't recommend painting them.
  • PRO
    Homestyling101 LLC
    9 years ago
    I retract my statement about paint! My eyes were not awake and I did not see they were Baker chests! Yes! See what you can do to re-store their original beauty!! Chalk paint something else:)
  • motupeg
    9 years ago
    I was told to add my Baker pieces into my decorating as though they were antiques. I live in California now so my decorating at this point is more relaxed/transitional.
  • motupeg
    9 years ago
    I looked on ebay. The starting bid for a Baker chest is 1250. One is selling for 22,000.
  • Carly Grant
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow these are more valuable than I thought